• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLink Spring Featured Auction
1 1

96 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I doubt it.  A friend of mine was interested in it and I advised him to pass on it.  To me, there is nothing that screams "Kaluta" about it...it looks like it was drawn quickly and there's little in the way of trademark Kaluta style that distinguishes it IMO. I also don't like how the image area is so cropped by the cover layout. I think it sold for around what it should have - I can see someone paying up for it out of nostalgia, but, otherwise, I think it sold in the range of FMV.  Maybe it could have gotten a bit more on HA, but, I'd be surprised if it was 50% more, let alone 100%. 

Double would be top end, but I think that is a high teens cover at least.

I do however agree with your critiques 100%. It’s just a good BA Bat/Tec Cover has a floor, and I think this was below it.

(The other Kaluta Bats Annual cover sold at HA kind of proves my point, as I think this one is worth around double that one. This price also kind of hits a nerve for me, as I chuckle at the often laughably low prices of most early BA Batman art not done by Neal Adams.)

10 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Last sale was 5k a few years ago from Albert Moy.

Cool. Between that and the Maxximized 22 cover the owner has been killing it. Wonder if it’s the same owner of the Lady Death cover hm?

Was the Frank Miller Detective 1000 cover selling at $29K a low price or right at what it was supposed to sell for?

After seeing the results of the Heritage Miller art, I figured it would go a lot higher.

The Milgrom Iron Man Annual cover going for $20,000 was higher than what I expected.

I used to own the Rom 32 cover art, so I was curious to see what the story would sell for. It's not a bad price at $13K. I do think the Buscema Rom pages are still selling fairly strong. Everyone I've seen come up for sale usually sells fairly quickly in the $1500-$2000 range.

I won the Ghost Rider 76 cover and it was the only piece I bid on. I wanted the Leonardi Vision and Scarlet Witch splash, but concentrated all my cash on the GR and forgot about the splash until after it ended.

4 hours ago, Dokstarr said:

That was the one I was hoping to get, but I was tapped out at 5500 for it. I was going to do 6K, but it blew right by that. I honestly don't know what fair value would be for that, so just kind of going off what it is worth for me.

I may regret not getting it, but I had not prepared myself for spending that much for it. I was surprised it went that high and hadn't planned on it. I thought 5500 was gonna nab it when I looked at it a few weeks back before the auction started. Of course I really have nothing to basde that on, I was just thinking of the popularity of the characters. Since Lady Death has been less mainstream in recent years and no longer hangs out with the Chaos characters like Evil Ernie.  It would've been a nice addition to the few Red Sonja and Vampirella pieces I have. Oh well - regrets already setting in hah.

In the focused Aug 2015 clink auction, that cover sold for $2250. 

On 6/4/2019 at 9:13 PM, christosgage said:

Non-Ditko Rom pages have been dropping lately (they were too high for a while), but I agree that this was a good score because of the prevalence of Rogue on all the pages.

If anyone knows the seller, or they are on here, and they're interested in breaking up the issue, I'd love to buy a page with Hybrid on it...doesn't need to include any other characters, I just have a soft spot for Hybrid.

Email me privately with your best offer for the pages you want... :)

5 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Any thoughts on the Chris Ware Jimmy Corrigan?  Not his usual style depicting Jimmy, but it Seems quite low.

Wasn't published in ACME, and not confirmed to be published at all. Regardless, a really nice example, very representative of Jimmy. I think Clink is the wrong venue for this type of material; it likely would have gone higher at HA. A good buy for the winner, congrats.

Overall I also got the sense the auciton results were a bit soft.  Some thoughts:

Strong results:

- Buscema FF 112 pages

- Infantino DD page (not sure I have ever seen a Marvel Bronze age page from Infantino this high)

- J Kirby page from Cap 100

- GPerez XM Annual page with Storm

Fair prices

- FF 247 page (may look high but high quality pages with all 4 members in action from prime period are fairly rare)

- Colan DD 20 (must be impressive in person at large art size)

- McSpidey cover (it is a nice image after all, even though I am not a McFarlane nor Spiderman fan)

- BWS Conan cover, considering the status of that market at the moment

Good buys (wish I had bid on those)

- Byrne Iron Fist page (good action page)

- G Kane Defenders 52 cover (Hulk! Namor! Defenders...cm'on!)

- JLee UXM 248 DPS (again, must look great in person!)

- GPerez XM Annual with Cyclops (not a fan of Cyclops but looks cheap in comparison to the other one)

- Brigman / Nowlan AF cover (character may be B tier, but artistically very very strong)

Just my 2cents....

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

it likely would have gone higher at HA

Maybe, but again, more than 25% higher? If not, I'm a little weary of hearing this argument (not to call you out specifically. There are numerous people saying the same thing in this thread.) It feeds into the stranglehold that HA is getting over the higher-end of the OA auctions. That's bad for the hobby. Having options as both buyers and consignors is healthy for all of us. CLINK is a serious contender and ComicConnect is making more efforts with social postings and con appearances. Profiles, Hake's, and Prop Store all have the same egregious BP as Heritage, but even that competition is good.

And like you said, this particular piece was not confirmed as published.

Edited by BCarter27

19 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Maybe, but again, more than 25% higher? If not, I'm a little weary of hearing this argument (not to call you out specifically. There are numerous people saying the same thing in this thread.) It feeds into the stranglehold that HA is getting over the higher-end of the OA auctions. That's bad for the hobby. Having options as both buyers and consignors is healthy for all of us. CLINK is a serious contender and ComicConnect is making more efforts with social postings and con appearances. Profiles, Hake's, and Prop Store all have the same egregious BP as Heritage, but even that competition is good.

And like you said, this particular piece was not confirmed as published.

I didn't say HA>Clink, across the board. Just that it's better suited for *this* type of material. As it is, a Chris Ware JIMMY CORRIGAN sticks out like a sore thumb in the Clink catalog, in a "which one of these doesn't belong" way.

At the same time, I believe new/modern art, superhero or otherwise, is a better fit at Clink.

Of course, the more options, the better. For buyers and sellers alike. But let's be real...if someone is asking you for advice right now on where to consign a JIMMY CORRIGAN, do you recommend HA or Clink?

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

But it's not really Wolverine in it though. It is villain focused. That might have contributed.

Even so, $7800 is positively shocking. 

Edited by delekkerste

59 minutes ago, Nexus said:

But let's be real...if someone is asking you for advice right now on where to consign a JIMMY CORRIGAN, do you recommend HA or Clink?

My knee-jerk would be HA. But I believe we all have to rethink that knee-jerk response and run the actual numbers. And if those numbers don't add up, then why do things the way they've always been done?

In this case, I think this piece did as well as it could do and its upside was achieved at CLINK (within the 20% delta I mentioned earlier.) So perhaps this is a sign that CLINK and other venues are beginning to have the reach to challenge HA on alt/underground/indie/illustration.

**All that aside, I would also make a strong case for alt/indie to be sold privately through CAF or a dealer consignment (assuming 10-15%). The buyer pool is fairly small. I would think with a little bit of legwork, you could reach most of your target audience.

ComicLink Spring 2019 Auction – Random Thoughts

Great value:  $3,400 Moon Knight #23 DPS (Bill Sienkiewicz).  Strong peak period double page spread sold for less than Moon Knight #1 page 30 with the artist's older Neal Adams-esque style.

Cool factor:  $12,450 Fantastic Four #247 page (John Byrne) High price but a superb 4-panel page with killer images of each FF member using their powers.

Wish I bid more:  $5,055 First Wave #6 cover (Jim Lee).  100% Lee pencils and ink on Batman cover, tons of sweet details.

Interesting spread:  As already discussed:  $8,300 and $3,300 spread for two X-Men Annual #3 pages (George Perez).  Theories:  Wolverine tax, Storm boob, Deadpool money...or maybe Nightcrawler saying “Unglaublich” which might be German for “To Ron” :-)

Even Stevens:   $3,500 Punisher War Journal #16 cover (Mark Texiera) and $3,499 Punisher #4 page 14 (Mike Zeck).   If I had to choose, I’d prefer the Zeck.  Also, $17,900 FF Annual #2 page (Kirby) with Dr. Doom and all four team members.  $16,250 FF Annual #3 page with Doom and Thor but no FF.

Nostalgia wins:  $5,751 Captain America #241 page (Frank Springer).  Really memorable Cap vs. Punisher sequence and cover scene immortalized by Frank Miller.

I’d love to see framed:  Joker’s Asylum: Joker #1 cover (Andy Kubert).  Stunning piece that deserves to be on someone’s wall.

Lucky seller:  $10,000 The Crow #4 pages 21-22 (James O'Barr)  Surprised a lot of folks!  Then again, origin sequence goes for big bucks.  The TMNT #7 origin panel page (small turtles in one panel) sold for 2,800, more than a TMNT #5 splash.

Fun auction to watch.  Congrats to the winning bidders!