• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading pollybag

8 posts in this topic

Assuming you are referring to comic books that were polybagged at the printers.

It doesn't matter to CGC. They will remove the comic(s) sent in from any pollybag for grading.  I personally would remove books from such bags because just to get a good look at the book before it goes to be graded. Just because it was polybagged at the printer doesn't mean it's in perfect condition. Sometimes the factory pollybags actually causes damage.  Ultimate Fallout 4 comes to mind - the polybagg was seamed right down the middle of the back cover. So a stack of these books will have indents front and back cover.  So you might as well take a good look yourself so no surprises. 

8 hours ago, Tony S said:

It doesn't matter to CGC. They will remove the comic(s) sent in from any pollybag for grading.  I personally would remove books from such bags because just to get a good look at the book before it goes to be graded. Just because it was polybagged at the printer doesn't mean it's in perfect condition. Sometimes the factory pollybags actually causes damage.  Ultimate Fallout 4 comes to mind - the polybagg was seamed right down the middle of the back cover. So a stack of these books will have indents front and back cover.  So you might as well take a good look yourself so no surprises. 

This.

I would open it myself to determine if it's in 'good enough' condition to be graded.

Unless there's a nostalgia reason, most modern comics aren't worth submitting under 9.8 grade.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:11 PM, Tony S said:

I was thinking the same thing about UF 4. I sent it in the polygag.

2 hours ago, Petey777 said:

What about a poly bag that has signatures?  Would they slab the book and bag separately or keep it in the bag?

I've never heard of this. From my knowledge, CGC will never slab the book inside a polybag. The polybag is removed. 

22 hours ago, Petey777 said:

What about a poly bag that has signatures?  Would they slab the book and bag separately or keep it in the bag?

I wonder what they would do if someone did submit something like this as I don't think CGC SS would let u authenticate through their process the signature on the poly bag and thus you would have had to remove it and get the book signed but I heard a Rep at a show say they usually toss out the poly bag or other items that come with the comic unless it was part of the comic like the tattoos on ASM. As there was a girl asking about if they would grade her book and encase this insert that came with the comic that is now lose and she wanted it to be with the comic the rep told her to keep it and maybe store it in a bag with the slab but CGC wont encase any loose items with the comics. Some asked what they do with the items and he said most of the time they might ship it back but there's a good chance it gets tossed out. 

So I wonder would they toss out that signature bag or at least send it back loose. lol either way if you have a signature bag better to remove it and store it yourself with your collection.