• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with this Marvel Spotlight #32

13 posts in this topic

There is this weird color issue with the cover on what is otherwise a good quality copy. There is this weird sheen that follows the contours of much of the lines in the arrow. On the red area these streaks make the color yellow instead of red.

20190516_193051.jpg

20190516_192816.jpg

Just now, Bird said:

I was wondering if somebody splash something on it at some point and quickly removed it

I would suspect that except the lines generally match up with the artwork pencil lines which would not be the case for a spill

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, TheORKINMan said:

There is this weird color issue with the cover on what is otherwise a good quality copy. There is this weird sheen that follows the contours of much of the lines in the arrow. On the red area these streaks make the color yellow instead of red.

20190516_193051.jpg

20190516_192816.jpg

Too aggressive a press with too much heat + moisture, for too long can also cause an effect like this if the yellow underlies the red. .

On 5/18/2019 at 9:59 PM, James J Johnson said:

Too aggressive a press with too much heat + moisture, for too long can also cause an effect like this if the yellow underlies the red. .

I'm not sure I understand the "if the yellow underlies the red" part.  Can you expound? 

22 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm not sure I understand the "if the yellow underlies the red" part.  Can you expound

While the printing is running, the ink transfers on the impression plate then the plate presses on the paper with the ink color. If either ink is low or gets dry, some areas on the impression plate doesn't get the ink transfer then no color will show on the paper.  The printing foreman sees uneven, spotty or lack of color and orders to stop the pressing until the ink is refilled or replaced before the job is resumed.

28 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

While the printing is running, the ink transfers on the impression plate then the plate presses on the paper with the ink color. If either ink is low or gets dry, some areas on the impression plate doesn't get the ink transfer then no color will show on the paper.  The printing foreman sees uneven, spotty or lack of color and orders to stop the pressing until the ink is refilled or replaced before the job is resumed.

And because it's only a comic book, no one cares about the imperfect copies being sent out the way they are...

12 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

And because it's only a comic book, no one cares about the imperfect copies being sent out the way they are...

Not for the printing foremen and supervisors.  Finding any error, those books were destroyed but somehow few errors went through and were shipped out.  Like US Mint, they have to destroy defected coins or currency. The defected coins or currency are hot items for the collectors.

We love double covers, triple covers, printing errors or whatsoever like the coin/currency collectors because of rarity.