• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cash out or leave to heirs?
2 2

164 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Perhaps several would be a better description.  Rather than chase runs, I focused on a few key books. With Spidey, any Ditko issue made the cut.

Yeah, I've done the same.  I've sold undercopies but kept all undercopies of ASM under issue 25 and any keys.  So at this point for example I have 6 (maybe 7) copies of ASM 14 and 4 copies of 50 and things like that.  ASM will always be 'money' so I will hold on to them until I feel like cashing out. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, I've done the same.  I've sold undercopies but kept all undercopies of ASM under issue 25 and any keys.  So at this point for example I have 6 (maybe 7) copies of ASM 14 and 4 copies of 50 and things like that.  ASM will always be 'money' so I will hold on to them until I feel like cashing out. 

I feel like a cheap used whore when you speak of your collection.:S

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

No problem, I'll send one round. His name's Dave. 

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Wait until you hang out in the art part of the forum.  I lurk over there. And for the record, there are many people here who have far better collections.   There are people that have put together collections that have made my jaw drop and in many cases it has nothing to do with monetary value of the collection. 

Edited by Buzzetta

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Wait until you hang out in the art part of the forum.  I lurk over there. And for the record, there are many people here who have far better collections.   There are people that have put together collections that have made my jaw drop and in many cases it has nothing to do with monetary value of the collection. 

Of course not,its about ascetic appeal,the ambience of a room full of comics,so many factors.

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Of course. Here he is:

source.gif.ee62adeb2f138bd6c3c1f0adf842501c.gif

:takeit:

I didnt mean for the sign to say I'll take it.

Dave the whore is a valued member of our society and in no way shape or form should be referred to as "It". As a matter of fact I wish the sign had said "I'll take her"

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

24 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

:takeit:

I didnt mean for the sign to say I'll take it.

Dave the whore is a valued member of our society and in no way shape or form should be referred to as "It". As a matter of fact I wish the sign had said "I'll take her"

Take her where? 

36 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Of course not,its about ascetic appeal,the ambience of a room full of comics,so many factors.

Lol - I never want rooms full of comics - everything is always packed away.  But it’s getting visible... time to cull 

26 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm not sure.

Then you are unworthy of her affections. Consider the booking cancelled and don't call us again. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Then you are unworthy of her affections. Consider the booking cancelled and don't call us again. 

Excuuuuuuse me?

I would of shown her/him the time of her/hims life, I'm spontaneous, I would have asked her/him what her/him would have liked to do,than her/him and I would have done it.

Now I'm hurt...how is her/him taking it?

8 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Excuuuuuuse me?

I would of shown her/him the time of her/hims life, I'm spontaneous, I would have asked her/him what her/him would have liked to do,than her/him and I would have done it.

Now I'm hurt...how is her/him taking it?

In their stride. Now don't bother us again today with your spontaneity.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, Jaylam said:

I intend to cash out most, but leave a few prized books to my kids. Can’t ask them lug about hundreds of book, but would still like to leave a few baubles for them to remember me by. I guess I’m the sentimental type as my father gave me his father’s Masonic ring and his mother’s gold pocket watch that her father gave her for her 16th birthday (engraved January 17, 1899 on the inside). My father served in WW2 so my brother and I split some of his war items: guns, swords, medals etc. 

Very appropriate to keep some of these items in the family. And I like your profile pic!  (thumbsu

To be perfectly honest, it greatly saddens me to hear my fellow board members talking this way. I understand that it's good to have a plan for the disposal of your collection, but it bothers me to think that we won't always be here to enjoy each other's company.  :(

I'm no stranger to the loss of friends and loved ones, but somehow it seems that this group will be together for a long, long time. In fact, I'd say that hanging out with all of you has been one of the best experiences of my life, certainly one that I'll remember until the day I pass into the void. 

Most of you should outlive me (I turn 60 this year). I've thought about downsizing my collection, and to some degree I've been successful, but it's really tough to part with certain books. With some of them, I can remember exactly where I purchased them and for how much. With others, I have no real memory of how or where I found them. All I can say is there are some books I can never part with, and after I pass, I hope my relatives keep them in the family for future generations to enjoy...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Very appropriate to keep some of these items in the family. And I like your profile pic!  (thumbsu

Hey thanks. I'm a big Yes fan. Was very saddened by the loss of Chris Squire, one of the best bassists ever in my opinion. They were (and are) such an amazing collection of talented musicians.

CHRIS SQUIRE.jpg

1 minute ago, Jaylam said:

Hey thanks. I'm a big Yes fan. Was very saddened by the loss of Chris Squire, one of the best bassists ever in my opinion. They were (and are) such an amazing collection of talented musicians.

CHRIS SQUIRE.jpg

Now there's a picture that puts a smile on my face! I saw Chris play many times---he always seemed to be enjoying himself, and he was definitely one of the best bass players I've ever seen. RIP, Fish...