• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cash out or leave to heirs?
2 2

164 posts in this topic

Anything I have left will be placed under me on a viking ship and we will all go into the afterlife together.  Saves my wife the expense of a cremation and they can sell the viral video to make some extra cash.

viking_funeral-450x299.jpg

I have spent the last 40 years amassing my collection which involved a lot of legwork/driving for 30 years before the internet and eBay, comic collecting was/is my passion and I have no plans on liquidating my collection.

I am leaving all of my books (1800 +/-) to my two Children (42 and 39) with detailed instructions stored with the will on proper handling/storage and all of the options on how and where to sell the collection detailing the pro's and con's of each option.

Since most books are 10/12/15 cent covers, all are graded (All Raw, Only Two CGC), documented/inventoried/cataloged/photographed and stored in short boxes by title/number, (lowest to highest) and all boxes are marked with the contents in each and stored alphabetically it should not be to difficult.

All of the pictures/lists of books/collectibles are stored on my computer and two separate flashdrives and the instructions with the will telling them where to find the flashdrives.

Since my Son has decided to sell his collection (1800 books +/-) and collectibles he will have some experience selling.

Besides, if I cashed out I would end up spending the money, this way they get something since any and all remaining cash after all final expenses are paid is being left to my 6 Grandchildren.

It's in my will to divide up the assets including any comics left over after my wife and I pass on.  
I have instructions on how best to sell them and point them to sites like GPA, GoCollect and various auction sites for the CGC ones and the OSPG for the raws (..and explain what you're mostly likely to really get for the books regardless of what the guide states) if they
want to try to get max value for them which of course will take some time..I at least hope to give them that option.
I live here in the Dallas area so, my biggest suggestion is take it all to Heritage Comics and let them sell them. It's just a relatively short drive down the road.  What my heirs do after my wife and I are gone is really up to them. 

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wife says she's gonna cremate me with my collection. That will be one heckova fire

Did you anger her this morning or something?

That's a pretty harsh thing to say to someone first thing in the morning. 

Did you at least have your morning coffee? The alertness might help absorb the impact of a threat like that...oh wait,my bad.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

17 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

It's in my will to divide up the assets including any comics left over after my wife and I pass on.  
I have instructions on how best to sell them and point them to sites like GPA, GoCollect and various auction sites for the CGC ones and the OSPG for the raws (..and explain what you're mostly likely to really get for the books regardless of what the guide states) if they
want to try to get max value for them which of course will take some time..I at least hope to give them that option.
I live here in the Dallas area so, my biggest suggestion is take it all to Heritage Comics and let them sell them. It's just a relatively short drive down the road.  What my heirs do after my wife and I are gone is really up to them. 

29 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

In true Willy Wonka-esque fashion I will hold a mysterious 3-day sale on the boards with an assortment of breathtaking Bronze Age Gold Key comics priced at a princely $5 per comic with each (established) boardie only allowed to purchase one comic. There will be a total of 33 comics and inside one of them will be hidden a glorious Golden Ticket with the lucky recipient inheriting my legendary and (near) priceless comic collection.

Image result for comic book bank vault

Woow!

If I drop dead unexpectedly, my wife will probably be giving the stuff away (she's already said she "doesn't want to deal with it") so stayed tuned to the obits in Louisville for some good deals!

Otherwise, I plan on selling most of the stuff whenever I retire, as we plan on traveling a lot and won't be home to look at old comics and toys anyway. Plus, as has been pointed out, that stuff is heavy. I'm only 42 but I'm already tired of carrying boxes around. I can't expect I'm gonna love it when I'm 55-60. I'm already in downsizing mode, trading in boxes of drek for a handful of nicer books. I expect I'll continue along that route of consolidation, so it's possible that by the time I retire, I really may only have a few books.

We have no kids (well, three cats, but as far as I can tell, they can't read), but we do have a niece that we're very close to. She is 11 now, and she loves Archie comics, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel. Right now she's just a reader, as it should be at that age. Not sure if she'll turn into a collector or not. if she does, for sure I'll leave her some cool stuff. But the rest of it will be sold, and she'll probably get the money anyway.

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

In true Willy Wonka-esque fashion I will hold a mysterious 3-day sale on the boards with an assortment of breathtaking Bronze Age Gold Key comics priced at a princely $5 per comic with each (established) boardie only allowed to purchase one comic. There will be a total of 33 comics and inside one of them will be hidden a glorious Golden Ticket with the lucky recipient inheriting my legendary and (near) priceless comic collection.

Image result for comic book bank vault

You joke, but this would be an epic send-off.

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

When are you holding the sale? :devil:

I told my wife that the value of whatever collectibles I have when I die will be de minimis compared to the life insurance and other assets, so she should just have a garage sale and offer them all for a buck each, just the way I bought almost all of them!

:whee:

8 hours ago, F For Fake said:

We have no kids (well, three cats, but as far as I can tell, they can't read), but we do have a niece that we're very close to. She is 11 now, and she loves Archie comics, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel. Right now she's just a reader, as it should be at that age. Not sure if she'll turn into a collector or not. if she does, for sure I'll leave her some cool stuff. But the rest of it will be sold, and she'll probably get the money anyway.

my nieces and nephews are a-holes . parents spoil them and I don't believe any have ever even uttered the words, "Thank you" to anyone for any reason. They won't appreciate my books and are too lazy to maximize turning them into cash. So I gotta cash out at some point....

Come to think of it, I should probably stop buying now.

Edited by NoMan