• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cash out or leave to heirs?
2 2

164 posts in this topic

I plan on leaving my collection to my kids in poorly labeled boxes and no master list of what I have. It will be a test of their ability to maximize potential. 

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

A different perspective some may not have considered....

If my heirs...whomever they may be...don't have interest in my collection, and just want to dump it for pennies on the dollar...well, I'll be gone, so it really will be their choice at that point, but more importantly...if might fuel someone else's collection and imagination to get something that they would be thrilled to own for far less than it would cost them "on the open market."

Yeah, sure, there might be some sharks, and I'd make sure they watched out for those...but think what a thrill you could provide a young person by selling them....or even giving them....a collection with a "retail value" of thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

We talk about "maximizing profit" so much that such an idea might prove anathema to some...but it's something worth considering. You may even have your eye on a younger collector who has treated you well, and "gifting" it to them as a collection just might be the gift of a lifetime.

Sure, my heirs might not get as much money as they otherwise would, but they may not be interested in doing what it takes to earn it in the first place.

The only thing I would NOT want to see is the entire thing thrown in the trash, which I am pretty sure won't happen. But that would be the only unacceptable loss to me.

Totally agree, but avoiding the sharks is tricky.  Between all of the buyers I know from Montreal to Toronto, there are few I'd trust not to screw my parents over.  Hope everyone else's collecting community isnt as treacherous as mine.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, thunsicker said:

My Son did the Camino de Santiago two years ago and my youngest is doing it this summer.  While grueling it can be very rewarding.  Good luck with your goals. 

Taking my son to the airport to walk the Camino this morning!