• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Samaritan and Speed Saunders

14 posts in this topic

I found this interesting, but I am a little hesitant to post it as I may be "outing" someone, but the deal is at least two weeks old, and is a matter of fairly public record. Look what showed up on the Bay in a search of completed auctions for sold "pulps" and look at the interesting message from a "good samaritan" posted in the item description!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-8-Very-Old-Raggedy-Comic-Books-No-Covers-Pulp-1930-s-40-s-/392283423936?hash=item5b55ea04c0%3Ag%3ACv4AAOSw6jJcwHGT&nma=true&si=K%2FjkichRHaPDovNtQnrRe8HHnXo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I recognized Speed and the red crescent on the handkerchief, and so did a few other users apparently. All I can say is what a strange turn of events.  :whistle:

Speed_Saunders.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, what a great spot. I never would have known. I’ll bet that seller is still screaming! And good for the Good Samaritan!

I agree. The seller just had to think it was a hoax at first, at least until the samaritan offered some insight into why the bidding might be legitimate. It's amazing to think that ANYONE can stumble into a top tier book like that and, in this case, not even know it!  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

I remember in the earliest days of EBay some woman found a lot of about 6 early GA books in a barn. She listed them like Ace #17, Popular #23 ect then Detective Comics #27. I about fell out of my chair! They sold OK but that one sold for like $22K. She must have had a heart attack and is probably still telling people about it. She was completely clueless.

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I remember in the earliest days of EBay some woman found a lot of about 6 early GA books in a barn. She listed them like Ace #17, Popular #23 ect then Detective Comics #27. I about fell out of my chair! They sold OK but that one sold for like $22K. She must have had a heart attack and is probably still telling people about it. She was completely clueless.

Wow, that one I missed. I used to follow pulps more, and the closest I saw to that was someone cleaned out a home and listed some "old magazines" in "good condition for their age" as per usual. They were the first few years of Doc Savage including a number one that was just beautiful. Lucky for her, the right people saw them and they went for strong prices.  :whistle:

It was a LONG time ago. I had just gotton on the bay in the very late '90's. It still happens every once in a while for those of us who are in the know and search real hard. I love finding them "in the wild" just walking up and finding them for "$ each"...:banana:

45 minutes ago, telerites said:

I saw that lot and what the bid was at and wondered what the heck but after reading the description, I understood.  @PopKulture, were you the good Samaritan?  

I was not. I just saw the result when I did a search on "pulp" items sold on the Bay, sorted by price.