• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think Detective Comics 45?

6 posts in this topic

I have a question about what I find to be an odd grade. I'm an old time collector that was slow to embrace "slabbed" comics but have actually grown to appreciate the books that I can buy online with a little more assurance. Hence it fills a needed niche when buying from strangers. There are still some books that I find that perplex me as to why they received a certain grade; sone too high or low. This is one such example. I don't understand how this book can be given a VG-, or 3.5, with a hunk that big gone from the book. It's a good looking book other than the missing piece but, I've seen MANY other good looking books that the grade is substantially lower with a piece that large out of it. In my day (insert old guy "get off my lawn" jokes) we would have called that a Good- (1.8) or Fair/Good (1.5). What do you think? Am I way off base and if so, why? This is a legit question I have so please no smarta** remarks.

det1.16376a.jpg

I think there are a number of factors at play here (assuming the back cover is complete and as nice as the front). First, except for the missing piece, the book itself appears to be quite nice. That is definitely a factor. Also, the fact that the missing piece has been neatly cut out (rather than torn out or chewed off) is a plus; visually, it's more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. And of course, I'd guess the "Golden Age Factor" may be at play here as well, which I can actually understand with a book from this time period (opinions vary about this, but that's the way the cookie crumbles). I sincerely hope I look this good when I'm pushing eighty...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I think there are a number of factors at play here (assuming the back cover is complete and as nice as the front). First, except for the missing piece, the book itself appears to be quite nice. That is definitely a factor. Also, the fact that the missing piece has been neatly cut out (rather than torn out or chewed off) is a plus; visually, it's more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Yep yep. (thumbsu  It looks like a flat, vibrant book with minimal color loss and that has to be helping the overall grade.

CGC has been fairly lenient towards large pieces missing from the covers from the start, particularly with GA, though the exceptions for Marvel chipping are another example of this.

Oldtimers on the boards will remember the complaints about an Action #1 graded as a 2.5 with a big chunk out of the cover, and missing corners and edge pieces are not unusual in 5.0-7.0 books that are otherwise pretty nice. 

Here's a link to a CGC7.5 with a noticeable corner missing. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-14-timely-1942-cgc-vf-75-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7209-92027.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

I think they are too lenient, and above 5.0 my guess is prices are weaker for these books than others of the same grade (though the same could be said for dust shadows and foxing).

That Detective should probably be in the "Good" range, but whether it's closer to 1.5 or 3.0 depends on how much you gauge the pretty decent condition outside of that glaring flaw. Eye-appeal wise, I'd probably value it as an average 2.0, but if the flaw were on the back cover, I'd go 3.0. If I was looking for a 3.5 at  FMV, I'd look elsewhere.

11 hours ago, rjpb said:

CGC has been fairly lenient towards large pieces missing from the covers from the start, particularly with GA, though the exceptions for Marvel chipping are another example of this.

Oldtimers on the boards will remember the complaints about an Action #1 graded as a 2.5 with a big chunk out of the cover, and missing corners and edge pieces are not unusual in 5.0-7.0 books that are otherwise pretty nice. 

Here's a link to a CGC7.5 with a noticeable corner missing. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-14-timely-1942-cgc-vf-75-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7209-92027.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

I think they are too lenient, and above 5.0 my guess is prices are weaker for these books than others of the same grade (though the same could be said for dust shadows and foxing).

That Detective should probably be in the "Good" range, but whether it's closer to 1.5 or 3.0 depends on how much you gauge the pretty decent condition outside of that glaring flaw. Eye-appeal wise, I'd probably value it as an average 2.0, but if the flaw were on the back cover, I'd go 3.0. If I was looking for a 3.5 at  FMV, I'd look elsewhere.

Agreed. If the BC looks like the FC and no major spine splits, it seems to look 6.0 - 7.0 range. But minus the piece out of the FC, and they dinged it down to a 3.5 which seems generous. I would think more like in the 2.5 - 3.0 range at best.