• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PPP Top 5 in hobby
1 1

63 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Action 1

Tec 27

Supes 1 

Bats 1

MC 1 

Did I get #5 right ?  I’m assuming there is a huge drop off dollar wise after #3.  Feel free to make it a top ten , etc. 

Agree w top 4, just from sales POV. Still don’t understand the reverence for Sup 1, which is a reprint book, but the market has spoken. 

Id go w Cap 1 over MC 1

31 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Agree w top 4, just from sales POV. Still don’t understand the reverence for Sup 1, which is a reprint book, but the market has spoken. 

Id go w Cap 1 over MC 1

I’m with you on both above but I’m not sure if most would agree that Cap is in that #5 spot. 

3 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Cap 1 is way too common to be a top 5 book. If realized prices have put it there, it won't stay. Tec 31 should have no problem pummeling it into submission. The same goes for Action 7, goofy as that one is.

MC 1 definitely has that over Cap 1.  I think regardless of what Overstreet says AA 16 is not there and it isn’t as rate census wise these days in the past.  I don’t know what else to put in that # 5 spot 

2 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

MC 1 definitely has that over Cap 1.  I think regardless of what Overstreet says AA 16 is not there and it isn’t as rate census wise these days in the past.  I don’t know what else to put in that # 5 spot 

Major Inapak, Space Ace?

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Still don’t understand the reverence for Sup 1, which is a reprint book, but the market has spoken. 

Besides it's importance as the first stand-alone book of a superhero, it has a new expanded origin of Superman and is the first mention of the planet Krypton in the comic book, it's also the first appearance of Ma and Pa Kent.

25 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Besides it's importance as the first stand-alone book of a superhero, it has a new expanded origin of Superman and is the first mention of the planet Krypton in the comic book, it's also the first appearance of Ma and Pa Kent.

This. I love Supes #1, and I think Cap 1 should be #5 book.

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I would agree with you on your point about AA 16.  (thumbsu

If you are opening this question up to the entire hobby, as opposed to just GA, then how about slotting AF 15 into your #5 spot?

If not, I would stick with MC 1 because it'll eventually get its day back in the sun.  Similar in vein to how FF1 is now finally once again a hot SA book after sitting pretty much in deep freeze for the longest while.  After all, MC is truly the first Marvel comic book out there.  hm

49 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Those things and a kick cover but I have a hard time with the reprints 

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Action 1

Tec 27

Supes 1 

Bats 1

MC 1 

Did I get #5 right ?  I’m assuming there is a huge drop off dollar wise after #3.  Feel free to make it a top ten , etc. 

I say 50/50 with Action 1/Tec 27

low grade 1.0 unrestored Action wins. 9.0 Tec 27 would walk all over Action 1 (worship)

Superman 1 is hard above 6.0 so its # 3 easy

Batman 1 went from a 12k book in 1999 4.0 to 100k plus now.

Cap is at its top level for a while (shrug) might even go down now cap is out of the movies and new blood will be of interest.

Marvel 1 is one of my all time greats but not going to move any time soon.

This is just IMO.

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

There's also the top end being IMPOSSIBLE pushing prices up I wrote this today about the Heritage Superman #1

Is this a good result? I think so. It sold for something like 50% more than a 4.0 just sold for, so I think relative to that book this book did well. It's also within spitting distance of the 5.0 Detective #27 Hake's sold last year, which shows you how crazy Superman #1 is because of how difficult it is to get in even mid-grade. There are 60 unrestored copies of Superman #1 in the census. There are 32 copies of Detective #27 (68 total!) But yet, a 5.0 Superman #1 is tied for 7th highest graded and a 5.0 Detective Comics #27 is tied for 17th.