• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PPP Top 5 in hobby
1 1

63 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Is this a good result? I think so. It sold for something like 50% more than a 4.0 just sold for, so I think relative to that book this book did well. It's also within spitting distance of the 5.0 Detective #27 Hake's sold last year, which shows you how crazy Superman #1 is because of how difficult it is to get in even mid-grade. There are 60 unrestored copies of Superman #1 in the census. There are 32 copies of Detective #27 (68 total!) But yet, a 5.0 Superman #1 is tied for 7th highest graded and a 5.0 Detective Comics #27 is tied for 17th.

I just took a lot at census. 6 Tec 27 in 6.5 grade :whatthe:

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

A Superman #1 in 6.5 (there isn't one) would be alone as 3rd highest graded. And there aren't a bunch of raw high grade copies that I know about. There's the one that made the Church copy irrelevant and then... I've never heard about another high grade copy. They may be out there, but no one has ever talked to me about one. 

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

There's also the top end being IMPOSSIBLE pushing prices up I wrote this today about the Heritage Superman #1

What I found interesting was the drop on Bats and Cap 1’s recently. Where do you think the 5.0 hakes Tec wud sell for today ? 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Since the total number of known/slabbed copies of Tec 27 and Supe 1 is not so far apart, it would seem unlikely for a Supe 1 to come so close to a Tec 27 in similar grade, unless 1) the prices are a bit on the outlier side (up for Supe 1 and down for Tec 27) or maybe 2) the not uncommon phenom of up and down swings are at this moment inordinately favors the Supe 1, or 3) there a limited number of people who want all the top books and among them are a significant number who would simply forego having any copy rather than have a lower graded copy, or 4) some bidders don't know there is such a thing as Action 1, or 5) they didn't realize the real first comic book dedicated to a person with super powers is Thimble Theater with Popeye, or 6) the buyer of the Supe 1 at nearly half a mil will soon trade it for the only known copy of Howard the Duck #1 in 11.0

Edited by bluechip

10 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Agree w top 4, just from sales POV. Still don’t understand the reverence for Sup 1, which is a reprint book, but the market has spoken. 

Id go w Cap 1 over MC 1

Did you know that Superman #1 has just as much original Superman content as Detective Comics #27 has original Batman content?

Do you think most GA collectors know that?

When that is taken into consideration, do you really feel reprinted Action #1-4 material is “less desirable” than original Zatara of Slam Bradley material?

Food for thought.

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

Since the total number of known/slabbed copies of Tec 27 and Supe 1 is not so far apart, it would seem unlikely for a Supe 1 to come so close to a Tec 27 in similar grade, unless 1) the prices are a bit on the outlier side (up for Supe 1 and down for Tec 27) or maybe 2) the not uncommon phenom of up and down swings are at this moment inordinately favors the Supe 1, or 3) there a limited number of people who want all the top books and among them are a significant number who would simply forego having any copy rather than have a lower graded copy, or 4) some bidders don't know there is such a thing as Action 1, or 5) they didn't realize the real first comic book dedicated to a person with super powers is Thimble Theater with Popeye, or 6) the buyer of the Supe 1 at nearly half a mil will soon trade it for the only known copy of Howard the Duck #1 in 11.0

I think yur total number of slabbed Tec 27 and Supes 1 are actually far apart. If I recall correctly there are double the number of total Supes 1’s or close to it  

23 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Did you know that Superman #1 has just as much original Superman content as Detective Comics #27 has original Batman content?

Do you think most GA collectors know that?

When that is taken into consideration, do you really feel reprinted Action #1-4 material is “less desirable” than original Zatara of Slam Bradley material?

Food for thought.

But Tec #27 is the first book with Batman content, whereas Superman #1 isn't close to the first book with Superman content (it follows Action 1, 2, 3, 4...). Sure, while it is mostly reprint material, it does have a cool extended origin, and cool cover, and a #1 on the cover, but Tec #33 isn't anywhere near as valuable as Tec #27...  Supes #1 is a great book, but if resale value wasn't a factor, I'd pick a number of other GA giants ahead of it (still top 10 obviously, but not as high as current FMV would place it). Just my opinion of course, and I can totally understand others that feel otherwise...

8 minutes ago, Superman2006 said:

But Tec #27 is the first book with Batman content, whereas Superman #1 isn't close to the first book with Superman content (it follows Action 1, 2, 3, 4...). Sure, while it is mostly reprint material, it does have a cool extended origin, and cool cover, and a #1 on the cover, but Tec #33 isn't anywhere near as valuable as Tec #27...  Supes #1 is a great book, but if resale value wasn't a factor, I'd pick a number of other GA giants ahead of it (still top 10 obviously, but not as high as current FMV would place it). Just my opinion of course, and I can totally understand others that feel otherwise...

The cover is a reprint from Action 10 splash page. Sup 1 does not have a #1 on the cover (shrug)

56 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
3 hours ago, bluechip said:

Since the total number of known/slabbed copies of Tec 27 and Supe 1 is not so far apart, it would seem unlikely for a Supe 1 to come so close to a Tec 27 in similar grade, 

I think yur total number of slabbed Tec 27 and Supes 1 are actually far apart. If I recall correctly there are double the number of total Supes 1’s or close to it  

Just checked the census and you are correct here.  (thumbsu

Looks like the 'Tec 27 has a total of 68 graded copies while the Supes 1 has a total of 147 slabbed copies, with slightly less than half of both of those totals being universal copies.  

48 minutes ago, woowoo said:

The cover is a reprint from Action 10 splash page. Sup 1 does not have a #1 on the cover (shrug)

That is true, my bad (I knew that, ha ha). It is still considered Superman #1 (whether or not it is noted as #1 on the indicia, I can't even tell you, but I'm sure you, and others probably know offhand). 

While the cover has the same image as the Action 10 splash page, that doesn't bother me. If the same image in the same size was on the cover of Action 10, that would hurt Supes #1, IMO.

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just checked the census and you are correct here.  (thumbsu

Looks like the 'Tec 27 has a total of 68 graded copies while the Supes 1 has a total of 147 slabbed copies, with slightly less than half of both of those totals being universal copies.  

There are about as many total copies of Detective #27 as there are unrestored copies of Superman #1. 

Superman #1 is, without a doubt the toughest major GA key in mid to high grade. It disappears over 6.0. 

20 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Superman #1 is, without a doubt the toughest major GA key in mid to high grade. It disappears over 6.0. 

I would definitely agree with your statement here as to rarity of Supes 1 in the mid to higher grades.  (thumbsu

Does anybody remember if Bangzoom had a nice copy of Superman 1 in that absolutely amazing collection of his?  hm

7 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Batman #1? 3.48 (from a very high number)

Wow, I thought Bat 1 would have finished up higher on the list considering that it is a later book as compared to the other keys, save for Cap 1.  :whatthe:

I guess there must have been a larger quantity of lower grade copies pulling down the overall average then.  hm

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

You could be correct.   I was responding to the figures of 60 and 68, which may have been a reference to the number of books above a certain grade.   I know there are people who simply won't buy any book unless it's a certain grade or above, but I never quite understood taking that to the extremes that some seem to do, when books are judged not so much by their overall significance and rarity but by their rarity in a particular grade.  But then I've also heard people describe what they collect by starting first with what condition the books are, so it's clearly a factor that carries more than I would expect.  And, thus, a mid grade Supe 1 can become worth as much as a Tec 27 in similar grade or perhaps even an Action 1 in the same or slightly lesser grade...

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, I thought Bat 1 would have finished up higher on the list considering that it is a later book as compared to the other keys, save for Cap 1.  :whatthe:

I guess there must have been a larger quantity of lower grade copies pulling down the overall average then.  hm

There are a ton of Batman #1.  It's still surprisingly low average. It's abundant in high grade though.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 Batman 1 (Spring 1940,D.C. Comics) Universal 115 3.43           1 2 3 5 2 3 4 2 4 6 3 10 7 5 9 8 7 10 9 15
Edited by rob_react