• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best one issue story
2 2

126 posts in this topic

always looking for stuff to read I haven't. Your opinion on the best single issue story. I'll go first.

Daredevil 191. Excellent Miller art/story. Gets to the heart of Miller's Daredevil character. Wants to kill bullseye. Is able to, but refrains. Miller's use of paneling was new to me, although I know he wasn't an innovator. His minimalistic background consisting of just blocks of lines added to loneliness of story. Thought provoking look at violence and guns. A bittersweet goodbye to what I think was one of the best runs in comics. Also the Swamp Thing taking place at the Winchester Mystery House by Moore. But that might be more than one issue.

EDIT: I would like to "like" my own thread because off all the other threads, I believe it seriously needs to be liked more!

Edited by NoMan

- Teen Titans 38,  "Who is Donna Troy?"

- Brave and Bold 197, Alan Brennert's classic Earth 2 Batman / Catwoman story

- Action Comics 775, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?"

- Swamp Thing 21 "The Anatomy Lesson"

- Batman : Holy Terror by Brennert and Breyfogle

Edited by Ken Aldred

Marvel Fanfare #7. “With friends like these”

Synopsis for "With Friends Like These..."

The Hulk wanders from the Colorado mountains into a circus fair that happens to be run by the Blob. Unus the Untouchable also lives there, sitting despondently in a tent held aloft by his own out-of-control force field. The Blob is the only one that can approach him and feed and care for him thanks to his own unmovable powers. When the Hulk shows up causing trouble, the Blob tries to take him on alone, but Unus chases them down to help his friend even though the exertion makes his force field grow more out of control, eventually preventing even air from reaching him. Nonetheless, the angry Hulk summons enough strength to shatter the field and knock Unus out. With his opponents defeated, and denying his own envy of their friendship, Hulk leaves. When Unus comes to, he's relieved to find he can breathe and approach things again, but as he carries the Blob off, he doesn't notice the pebbles on the ground rolling away from him.

55A157D1-2637-48A0-B03B-6761F73F00AB.jpeg

Edited by faster friends

17 minutes ago, deadleg said:

Hellblazer 27

Yup. 'Hold Me' by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean : a brilliant comic.

15 minutes ago, 500Club said:

New Mutants 45.

Another great choice.  I'd considered posting this one, the suicide issue, as one of Chris Claremont's most powerful and darkest stories, from one of my all-time favourite writers. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Wildstorm Spotlight Majestic

Alan Moore story that details those left as the universe dies. First published comics work by Carlos D'Anda. One of my favorite comics ever, check it out if you haven't read it before.

a great one. 

Ive got a collection put together of "greatest one shot stories" and I know this one is in there.... just cant find the box..

Call me an old soul but this book is very touching. Perry White ask Clark Kent (A Mile Manner Reporter) to look into why super-heroes wear masks. Clark went out to find who was the first mask hero. It's a nice story.

1446416833_Annotation2019-05-17181930.png.57bac396937200d0c6ba2726074db8b4.png

Edited by vane

Sandman 9.  Love it. 

Once more I will offer my love to you, once more, and that is all. If you refuse me a third time, I will condemn your soul to eternal pain. So I ask you, sweet love, for the last time, will you be my queen?

Patrick

Just now, followtheleader said:

Sandman 9.  Love it. 

Once more I will offer my love to you, once more, and that is all. If you refuse me a third time, I will condemn your soul to eternal pain. So I ask you, sweet love, for the last time, will you be my queen?

Patrick

the seeds of Dream's downfall sewn right from the start!