• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best one issue story
2 2

126 posts in this topic

One of EC's best science-fiction stories, from Weird Science 20, and certainly one of the saddest comics you'll ever read, is 'The Loathsome'.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I came to mention the Jaime Hernandez contribution in Love and Rockets #4 - 100 Room but immediately was reminded of a handful of other stories by him that are more recent that are just as good. A true master. Others that come to mind are Animal Man #15, Sandman 18 (which is up there with a handful of others in the run), Hitman #34 is one of the great Superman comics imho. Some really great single issue stories in Top 10 as well.

Marvel Graphic Novel 5, ‘God Loves, Man Kills’ by Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson.

Marvel Graphic Novel 1, ‘The Death of Captain Marvel’ by Jim Starlin is also excellent.

Batman: Ego by Darwyn Cooke

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

Avengers 160  "The Trial"

That's a good one, looking at the dynamic between Wonder Man, The Grim Reaper and The Vision, and The Reaper's trial to try to determine which one really is his brother.  At the end, it turns out that Wonder Man is now an ionic energy being carrying the memories of Simon Williams, and that makes The Vision content with being an android implanted with those same memories, resolving the conflict about which is 'more real' than the other, as neither one of them is a flesh-and-blood incarnation of the original.

Yes, before Endgame I read some Avengers, including the Jim Shooter era classics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

I don't think either of these are particularly well known or acclaimed, but were satisfying as single issues when I read them:

Avengers 160  "The Trial"

Amazing Spider-Man 153  "The Longest Hundred Yards"

Agree with you about both of those,  Another underrated Len Wein single issue is Incredible Hulk #189, "None Are So Blind."

Ive got a few some already mentioned. Hard not to love all of these.

GIJOE 21 - Silent Interlude - Loved it

latest?cb=20080529152013

With An Iron Fist - Exiles 25 - Iron Man in the future trying to capture the Inhumans
Black Bolt makes a last stand. Last pages are fantastic.

Exiles Vol 1 25

Hulk 380 - Self Contained Story about Crazy Eight. Fantastic.

Incredible Hulk Vol 1 380

Ghost Rider 35 - GR vs Death in a race to the end.

Ghost Rider Vol 2 35

Birds of Prey 8 - Just a wonderful flashback issue

257104-6498-46514-2-birds-of-prey.jpg

Uncanny X-Men 303 - Death of Illyana Rasputin - Changes Colossus forever I think. 
He has never been the same I think.

Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 303

X-Men 137 Death of Phoenix - What a story. Shooter made the right choice
(I could easily choose 141 and 142 as well.)

X-Men Vol 1 137

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Daredevil #227 "born again" it's part of the 5 issue arc but it's my favorite

But hey if you really wanna walk on the wild side there's always...

D7bi53NUEAEcj9h.jpeg

Just imagine Hulk on cocaine......  And this would have made the Dave Chappelle Rick James episode about the Murphys and James "feud" so much more interesting.  "What the 5 fingers say to the face" would have killed Charlie Murphy....

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, Ken Aldred said:

That's a good one, looking at the dynamic between Wonder Man, The Grim Reaper and The Vision, and The Reaper's trial to try to determine which one really is his brother.  At the end, it turns out that Wonder Man is now an ionic energy being carrying the memories of Simon Williams, and that makes The Vision content with being an android implanted with those same memories, resolving the conflict about which is 'more real' than the other, as neither one of them is a flesh-and-blood incarnation of the original.

Yes, before Endgame I read some Avengers, including the Jim Shooter era classics.

I really love the era from around issue 112-200, with the high points being from about 158-177.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:35 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Daredevil #227 "born again" it's part of the 5 issue arc but it's my favorite

But hey if you really wanna walk on the wild side there's always...

D7bi53NUEAEcj9h.jpeg

I just went looking for this.... you got me lol

On 5/25/2019 at 7:54 PM, fastballspecial said:

Ghost Rider 35 - GR vs Death in a race to the end.

Ghost Rider Vol 2 35

This and MGN 1 were two of Starlin’s best standalone stories. 

On 5/26/2019 at 11:11 PM, Pat Thomas said:
On 5/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I really love the era from around issue 112-200, with the high points being from about 158-177.

The Korvac saga is the high point for Avengers I think. I also enjoyed the Count Nefaria saga just before that. They were hitting on all cylinders in that year or two. Never gets the respect that the
X-men books do. Maybe if Korvac appears in the movies it might which he is rumored to be.