• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best one issue story
2 2

126 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Some of the Miller DD choices aren't really single issue stories, but this one is, and IMHO its the best (love the Krigstein homage as well):

DD #181 is definitely not a standalone; #227 kind of works as a standalone, but, it sets up the rest of Born Again, so, not really. X-Men 137, 141 and 142 definitely are not standalones.

I would submit for consideration some personal favorites:

Daredevil #208 - The Deadliest Night of My Life. Daredevil has a really bad night in a house of horrors set up by the mother of one of his deceased enemies. The most memorable DD issue for me personally after #181 and #227. 

Conan #24 - The Song of Red Sonja.  Conan and Red Sonja go thieving together and the Cimmerian gets played big time. My favorite Conan issue ever.

G.I. Joe #21 - Silent Interlude.  Scarlett is captured by Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes comes to rescue her. Larry Hama out-Sterankos Steranko; my favorite Joe issue ever.

Thor #356 - The Power and the Pride. Hercules hilariously recounts a story about him and Thor which casts the latter in a terrible light, not realizing that he's making a bullied kid's situation worse. Will he get a clue in time???  A funny and touching story. 

Edited by delekkerste

Some other personal faves:

Uncanny X-Men #268 - Madripoor Knights.  Black Widow's mission in Madripoor in the present day recalls the adventure she had as a kidnapped child there in 1941 when Captain America and Logan saved her from the Nazis and the Hand.  My favorite issue from the last 5 years or so of Claremont's run. 

The Nam #9 - Pride Goeth... One of the principal characters dies. :( 

Marvel Team-Up #79 - Sword of the She-Devil.  A museum artifact brings Kulan Gath and Red Sonja (hosted by the bodies of a security guard and Mary Jane Watson, respectively) into the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the present day and Spidey must save the day.  Gorgeous John Byrne artwork. 

Moon Knight #26 - Hit It!  The death of an abused boy's father sets off the now grown-up man to go on a hitting/punching spree as he makes his way to the funeral parlor where his father's body lies and where he is stopped by Moon Knight. Some amazing art by Sienkiewicz, who blends in children's drawings and rock and jazz images along with more regular superhero fare in this story about the vicious circle of violence. 

30 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Brewster’s Millions???

art in that issue is awesome-rare curt swan splash pages and half splashes.  O Henry twist at end.  

On 8/4/2019 at 10:06 PM, delekkerste said:

Some other personal faves:

Uncanny X-Men #268 - Madripoor Knights.  Black Widow's mission in Madripoor in the present day recalls the adventure she had as a kidnapped child there in 1941 when Captain America and Logan saved her from the Nazis and the Hand.  My favorite issue from the last 5 years or so of Claremont's run. 

The Nam #9 - Pride Goeth... One of the principal characters dies. :( 

Marvel Team-Up #79 - Sword of the She-Devil.  A museum artifact brings Kulan Gath and Red Sonja (hosted by the bodies of a security guard and Mary Jane Watson, respectively) into the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the present day and Spidey must save the day.  Gorgeous John Byrne artwork. 

Moon Knight #26 - Hit It!  The death of an abused boy's father sets off the now grown-up man to go on a hitting/punching spree as he makes his way to the funeral parlor where his father's body lies and where he is stopped by Moon Knight. Some amazing art by Sienkiewicz, who blends in children's drawings and rock and jazz images along with more regular superhero fare in this story about the vicious circle of violence. 

Yup on the Moon Knight. Amazing. 

25 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I think Sienkiewicz's later work (as he found a style before going completely off the rails - think Elektra miniseries or JFK assassination trading cards.) on MK (like #26) leave the impression the entire (1st) run was good. It wasn't. 

The werewolf storyline was a high point in the series.

I like Sienkiewicz’s artwork throughout, but Moench’s scripts were mostly okay reads, hardly exceptional.

Edited by Ken Aldred