• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best one issue story
2 2

126 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, faster friends said:

Marvel Fanfare #7. “With friends like these”

Synopsis for "With Friends Like These..."

The Hulk wanders from the Colorado mountains into a circus fair that happens to be run by the Blob. Unus the Untouchable also lives there, sitting despondently in a tent held aloft by his own out-of-control force field. The Blob is the only one that can approach him and feed and care for him thanks to his own unmovable powers. When the Hulk shows up causing trouble, the Blob tries to take him on alone, but Unus chases them down to help his friend even though the exertion makes his force field grow more out of control, eventually preventing even air from reaching him. Nonetheless, the angry Hulk summons enough strength to shatter the field and knock Unus out. With his opponents defeated, and denying his own envy of their friendship, Hulk leaves. When Unus comes to, he's relieved to find he can breathe and approach things again, but as he carries the Blob off, he doesn't notice the pebbles on the ground rolling away from him.

55A157D1-2637-48A0-B03B-6761F73F00AB.jpeg

love that story. Thanks for mentioning it!

I will have to submit the most recent issue of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #6

I'm not a fan of the big arc stuff, especially nowadays, but this was a great modern single issue story, that gave all the feels. Great story & art. A must read. 

(great thread btw)

Wolverine vs Spiderman. 

They both go to east Germany for their own reasons but Spiderman ends up fighting wolverine before he finds out they are on the same team.  Spiderman then gets a glimpse into the brutality of Wolverines life with a gut shot ending that involves Spiderman being used to commit suicide. 

Edited by slg343

One of my favorites is Hitman 34 ...

Synopsis for "Of Thee I Sing"

Tommy Monaghan is sitting atop a roof, reading a magazine about Superman. when Superman lands on the rooftop. Tommy stares, open mouthed. Superman apologizes for intruding and introduces himself. Superman tells Tommy that something went wrong for him tonight, that he failed.

When the nuclear space shuttle Yeager's engines overheated in space, Superman was on monitor duty when the S.O.S. went out. Superman saved the surviving astronauts. All but one, who was stuck in the subflooring while the rest of the crew escaped. Before Superman could do anything about it, the shuttle blew up. Superman came to Gotham to talk to Batman about things, but Batman said something typically cryptic and brushed off Superman for some work.

Tommy comforts Superman, reminding him what a hero he is. Feeling better, Superman apologizes for taking up so much of Tommy's time, autographs Tommy's magazine and flies away.

Whistling, Tommy pulls out his sniper rifle and shoots Figs Kernahan, in his apartment across the street.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I actually found Superman to be the 'worst' of Ross & Dini's World's Greatest Superheroes series.

It's still good in comparison to most Modern stuff, though.

It was a good example of absolute power corrupting absolutely.  Alongside Alex Ross' art, the oversized printing.  Was the 1st thing that came to mind when I saw the topic title. :)

Just now, Crops068 said:

It was a good example of absolute power corrupting absolutely.  Alongside Alex Ross' art, the oversized printing.  Was the 1st thing that came to mind when I saw the topic title. :)

I thought it was fairly slow and boring, especially compared to the other books in the series.

Again, it's not bad for a Modern story, at all. The artwork is tremendous.

IMO Shazam is the best of the solo stories. Then probably Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman, in that order.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I've discovered that there are actually a few really thought provoking issues in those EC runs.  The Shock Suspenstories #3 story of racial bias was revolutionary for the time period as Gaines was not afraid to address things that other companies would not have touched. 

A lot of hard-hitting social commentary in that series; the Klan, anti-semitism, drug addiction, police corruption, mob violence.

Edited by Ken Aldred