• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best one issue story
2 2

126 posts in this topic

Great topic.

DD #219 - Frank Miller basically does Clint Eastwood’s “High Plains Drifter”.

Batman #424 - “The Diplomat’s Son”.  Scum bag with diplomatic immunity...and things go bad.  One of the few good Jason Todd stories.

X-Men #205 - All BWS Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstrike.

Doctor Strange #55 - Michael Golden greatness.  (And the comic that inspired Art Adams to start drawing!)

wish I could think of more DC stories off the top of my head - anytime Alan Brennert wrote a DC book (saw Holy Terror listed above), it was great.

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Sandman 9.  Love it. 

Once more I will offer my love to you, once more, and that is all. If you refuse me a third time, I will condemn your soul to eternal pain. So I ask you, sweet love, for the last time, will you be my queen?

Patrick

did she?

16 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Fantastic Four #267

The last page will break your heart.

First book that came to mind. Devastating.

I didn't think it fit the single issue story requirement though.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

The Thing #3

Quicksilver is intent on exposing his daughter to the mist that grant Inhumans their abilities. Crystal refuses and flees, seeking the FFs help.  Ben is caught up in a struggle with the Inhuman Royal Family and Lockjaw, who we know only as Crystals pet, intercedes on his behalf. In an absolutely stunning development, Lockjaw speaks and we learn Lockjaw is not an oversized dog, but was an Inhuman that was exposed to the mists. Quicksilver realizes what might happen to his daughter and relents.

Of course, Marvel later undid everything in the story, but it was a stunner. The only other time I recall feeling such a gut punch was when the original  Invisible Kid was resurrected in Legion ten years after being thought dead.

Edited by shadroch

4 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Mad Love story featuring Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn written by Paul Dini and drawn by Bruce Timm.  hm

Mad Love is fantastic and I’d definitely put it up there.

My favorite is still Sandman #13 - Men of Good Fortune