• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this pressing damage?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm a newbie when it comes to comic grading and pressing. I sent my first comics out to be graded and had them pressed beforehand. I went through a reputable place so I know they are good at what they do. I didn't take any pictures of the comics before which was a mistake and now I am conflicted here. I can't remember there being this crease and what looks to be a tear? Maybe I didn't look close enough so I can't really say anything. But I can still ask you guys! Does this look like pressing damage? I am tempted to read the grader notes but for $5 I am not sure.

20190516_192601_resized.thumb.jpg.cfc2bd008c7e4c06376e5dcb0a709fdb.jpg20190517_122743_resized.thumb.jpg.65fd737e8dae83ac8dfec3e41bbeb7ef.jpg

Edited by Spartcom5

The line above Diablo's waistline could simply be a printer's crease that was always there from Day 1, though those usually run from the outside edges... it could also just be a wrinkle that appeared from handling over the years that was flattened out from the press.  The color loss by the Thing's elbow could be something that lifted off due to a bad press, or it also might have resulted from a bend in the cover and subsequent rubbing over the years, as well - tough to diagnose without the "before" pictures as a comparison.

Thanks for the input guys. I think a 6.0 for this comic is about as good as it gets considering the condition the spine is in. 

Also, is it normal to sign before saying that the presser isn't liable for any damage that may happen? 

The color loss on the chest was there before I know for a fact. I guess my only concern is just what is pictured above and the fact there are some small dent/dings on the front cover that I expected to be fully gone with a press.

Edited by Spartcom5

3 hours ago, Spartcom5 said:

Thanks for the input guys. I think a 6.0 for this comic is about as good as it gets considering the condition the spine is in. 

Also, is it normal to sign before saying that the presser isn't liable for any damage that may happen? 

You had to sign a waiver? 

What's up with the top edge?

Thanks for the help guys. I am trying to figure out whether or not I will be using the service anymore. It is extremely convenient for me as I barely have to pay for shipping whilst using them. They are a very popular store in my area and are an official CGC dealer and get lots of books to send in which cuts shipping to less than a dollar. Here are some hi res photos (click to see better quality) of everything including what appears to be surface dirt/grime that should have probably come off or am I wrong? And you can also see some of the smaller dents/creases that I was talking about before. I can also say for sure the blue color on the chest was there before. Any more help is appreciated.

20190517_194741_resized.thumb.jpg.5c341fc6983400b90991fe90645736c1.jpg20190517_194748_resized.thumb.jpg.29f9d8ec4d6f7612b5defa2bbefdfd3e.jpg20190517_194758_resized.thumb.jpg.fb1d3ef38a67934a3ce2e027be9a6303.jpg20190517_194812_resized.thumb.jpg.4f34a91c19c42031676ccaa2d3a805fc.jpg20190517_194818_resized.thumb.jpg.5b3cd1073a02b8e080c4003d99f0b85c.jpg20190517_194828_resized.thumb.jpg.c4b2e96cff4b0e57b6f2e9754d161df9.jpg20190517_194912_resized.thumb.jpg.ac7bf5c8cc0b68f97b403d0b543d662a.jpg20190517_194943_resized.thumb.jpg.2d798ffe965c974ef4518ab00bb26577.jpg20190517_194949_resized.thumb.jpg.0308446ad7faf3be744a8b062b996fd3.jpg20190517_194955_resized.thumb.jpg.c6f3dff3f26baa1950dacc253423e691.jpg20190517_195000_resized.thumb.jpg.ae9a6a438f93a29edad2c71ec2d7a32a.jpg

Edited by Spartcom5

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

You had to sign a waiver? 

What's up with the top edge?

What is it you are seeing on the top edge? Just looks like a old comic with a bit of cover overhang, pushed down some by the  inner holder of the slab.

Everyone "signs a waiver" with every submission to CCS. It's in the fine print. Terms and Conditions....

4. CCS does not provide grade protection or any type of guarantee for Collectibles submitted to CCS. Due to the fragile nature of Collectibles, Customer acknowledges that techniques used by CCS for pressing, restoration, restoration, removal and conservation Services may result in new defects or damage to the Collectible, including but not limited to spine splits, popped staples, paper pieces chipping off, creases, and stains. The submitter acknowledges that the services provided by CCS with respect to a submitted Collectible may result in a lower grade, the same grade, or no grade subsequently being assigned to such Collectible by a Collectible grading company. By submitting a Collectible to CCS, the submitter waives any right to assert any form of legal claim against CCS (and any affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries or other corporately related entities of CCS, and its and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and assigns) with respect to a lower grade, the same grade, or no grade subsequently being assigned to such Collectible by a Collectible grading company, unless caused solely by the gross negligence or willful misconduct of CCS.

As for the OP's original question, I don't see anything that screams "bad pressing", though it does look like the back cover could have been cleaned better. 

Edited by Tony S

Here's a good test for determining whether a printer's crease...especially for Silver, Bronze, and early Copper...existed before the press:

Take a look at the back cover, in the exact same corresponding area. I mean the EXACT same area. Do you see a "mirror image" of that crease on the back cover? If so, then it happened in production. 

Now...that does not mean that such creases cannot exist on one side only. They can, and do, and are quite common that way.

BUT...if you find it's "mirror twin" on the back cover, same size, same shape, same length...you can rest assured that it's a result of production.

And yes...improper pressing can introduce what look like "printer's creases" onto the cover, but here's the interesting thing: due to the anatomy of most books (at least for books that aren't disassembled), such "introduced" creases are usually vertical, rather than horizontal.

This paper is old and delicate. It cannot be forced into doing what some people try to do. Even paper will follow the path of least resistance, and you can create these creases very easily under the right conditions.

Also a good idea to have before scans of everything that is worth something to you.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

23 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Here's a good test for determining whether a printer's crease...especially for Silver, Bronze, and early Copper...existed before the press:

Take a look at the back cover, in the exact same corresponding area. I mean the EXACT same area. Do you see a "mirror image" of that crease on the back cover? If so, then it happened in production. 

Now...that does not mean that,with such creases cannot exist on one side only. They can, and do, and are quite common that way.

BUT...if you find it's "mirror twin" on the back cover, same size, same shape, same length...you can rest assured that it's a result of production.

And yes...improper pressing can introduce what look like "printer's creases" onto the cover, but here's the interesting thing: due to the anatomy of most books (at least for books that aren't disassembled), such "introduced" creases are usually vertical, rather than horizontal.

This paper is old and delicate. It cannot be forced into doing what some people try to do. Even paper will follow the path of least resistance, and you can create these creases very easily under the right conditions.

Also a good idea to have before scans of everything that is worth something to you.

Agreed.  What is your opinion and experience about color breaking scratches?  I seem to have one on my FF49... what do you think?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ea.jpg.088594178026b992564101d3c651c89d.jpg

It looks like a scratch from bottom staple to galactus finger.  What do you think?

On 5/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, Spartcom5 said:

It’s the chance you take when you have a book pressed even by a professional. Take the loss and move on because i’m sure you’re not cutting them a check for more other then the pressing fee when they turn your 9.4’s into 9.8’s. 

6 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

It’s the chance you take when you have a book pressed even by a professional. Take the loss and move on because i’m sure you’re not cutting them a check for more other then the pressing fee when they turn your 9.4’s into 9.8’s. 

Actually, when @joeypost turned my Giant-Size X-Men #1 from a 9.something into a 9.8, as far as I was concerned the book had jumped up into the next tier of his pricing -- 1% of Estimated Value for comics over $2,500.  So I did cut him a check for an extra $80.  It actually seemed unfair to pay him only $10 for his pressing work and hand delivery to CGC of a book of that value.

32 minutes ago, Carlucci54 said:

Actually, when @joeypost turned my Giant-Size X-Men #1 from a 9.something into a 9.8, as far as I was concerned the book had jumped up into the next tier of his pricing -- 1% of Estimated Value for comics over $2,500.  So I did cut him a check for an extra $80.  It actually seemed unfair to pay him only $10 for his pressing work and hand delivery to CGC of a book of that value.

You sound like a stand up guy and while a very good outcome for both you and Joey is fantastic it doesn’t change the fact that your experience no matter how positive is nothing more then your experience.

I’m Positive you don’t expect Joey to cut you a cheque when a book comes back lower then anticipated, do you?  

On 5/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, topofthetotem said:

You sound like a stand up guy and while a very good outcome for both you and Joey is fantastic it doesn’t change the fact that your experience no matter how positive is nothing more then your experience.

I’m Positive you don’t expect Joey to cut you a cheque when a book comes back lower then anticipated, do you?  

You're right, I wouldn't expect a refund.  I also hadn't meant to suggest that your point wasn't spot on as far as the most reasonable approach when something like this comes up.  In fact, it is the best approach to results from pressing or grading, because it keeps you from going crazy.

I was just bringing up a very unusual situation, because it was such a great outcome -- a complete outlier which, for me, meant doing something out of the ordinary.  As much as anything, cutting that extra check was a way for me to express my appreciation for all the great work Joey has done for me.  As is telling this story, I suppose.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:31 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Now...that does not mean that,with such creases cannot exist on one side only. They can, and do, and are quite common that way.

I totally agree with this...I've seen (and bought) several books that have what looks like a "wiggly wrinkle" (say that quick five times) in the middle of the front cover, and they will often have a "mirror image" on the back cover.

I'm not sure what causes this particular defect, but I find it much less noticeable than (and preferable to) a prototypical production crease.

On your book, I'd say Diablo was a victim of a wiggly wrinkle! :smile: