• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED! JUNK SALE Lot of older GA/SA non Overstreet Comic Book Price Guides.

19 posts in this topic

First off. I hope it is OK to sell these here. They are not actual comic books but magazines about GA/SA comics. I figured the best audience would be here. If anyone has a problem, please let me know.

Rules:

No problem children or HOS members.

Postage is included in the price. On the CBM magazines, these weigh just over 50 pounds. I will be sending them in 3 different flat rate boxes to keep shipping cost at about half what they would ordinarily run.

I will ONLY sell to USA addresses for these.

I prefer checks and money orders as to not run up my PayPal tally too much but will also accept Paypal if you prefer.  

Returns: No hassle returns within two weeks from when tracking says it was delivered. Return postage is ON YOU unless I make a gross error and in that case I will "man-up" and pay return postage. I don't expect any returns though as I've only had 3 or 4 in 40 years. 

This stuff all comes from a smoke filled, varmit infested, mouldy junk house. (Just kidding!) Here we go...

SOLD!

The Comic Book Marketplace is a seminal magazine covering GA and SA comic books. Was originally published in 1991 by noted DC collector Gary Carter and ended in 2005 by historian Russ Cochran. Each issue was very much anticipated by collectors of these books. Each issue was a pretty good mix of both eras. They include articles and features about all GA and SA publishers and characters/titles/genres. Articles about creators (including obituaries about many at the time). Interviews with very early mail order dealers like Howard Rogofosky, Robert Bell and others. Great features by Pat Calhoon, Michelle Nolan and others in each one.

These magazines report the rise of Ebay, CGC and other important events in fandom. There were convention reports, current (at the time) market reports and important finds with original back stories of The Okajima, Palo Alto, Spokane and other pedigree collections. Back up stories on pulps, memorabilia and odd items that were trending at the time.

Then you have the ads from folks selling books at prices that look like steals today. One caught my eye of a Seven Seas #6 in fine+ for $500. (don't we wish)...

Then there are the letters to the editor. A time capsule of information from many collectors that are no longer with us and many that still are covering a myriad of comic book subjects.

This lot consists of 88 different issues from #11-119. Included are these: #11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,31,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,62,63,63,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,76,78,79,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,98,100,102,104,106,107,108,109,110,112,113,115,116,119.  That's pretty much most of them.

Condition is very nice. All bought new by me. Read a couple of times. A few have some edge and spine bends due to improper storage. No tears or creases and nice paper. Sadly, I got started a little late and missed a few along the way. I doubt you could put this run together without a LOT of time and money today.

A classic magazine and would provide days and weeks of reading pleasure. The information in these is straight from the horses mouth back when it was happening. An exciting time in collecting... Long out of print and a rare chance to get almost the whole collection at one time.

Price is $350. + $50. postage (shipped in 3 Priority Mail boxes) I repeat, these are over 50 pounds. Least expensive way I could find.

cbm1.jpg

cbm2.jpg

cbm3.jpg

cbm4.jpg

cbm5.jpg

cbm6.jpg

cbm7.jpg

cbm8.jpg

cbm9.jpg

cbm10.jpg

cbm11.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

2nd Freebee added! 1995 Toy Collector Magazine featuring Batman and Rat Fink toys!

Lastly, I have this lot of 12 old Non-Overstreet comic book price guides plus a bonus Non- Sports Card price guide. These are from roughly 1990-1995. They all included market reports and features on comics and comic related items. Obscure and fun stuff with prices that will make you drool. Old for sale ads. Several first issues and one shots. Who remembers the Comics Buyer's Guide? All nice shape.

Was $35.  Then $30.  NOW $25! plus $15. flat rate boxed postage

comicbookpriceguides1.jpg

comicbookpriceguides2.jpg

comicbookpriceguides3.jpg

nonsportscardguide.jpg

4CDEF5E0-BD4A-44A0-AEF3-EF1374A4F36B.jpeg

C03372B2-4386-4C40-9276-331366B275C5.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

Just now, Dormian said:

Looked forward to reading these back in the day. Need to dig mine out and reread them. A few of these have stickers for the missing books in the Gerber Guides.

Those are in the annuals. I didn’t buy them because they were reprints. The stamps were cool though.

38 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Honestly can’t wait. I got out of comics around ‘93. I just remember the first year or two of them. 

Be honest, Rick, you just want that one with the Phantom Lady cover.   

8 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

CBM 3 is a toughie, first color cover.

CBM 4 (Centaur cover) had a large print run since it was the debut issue of the magazine at SDCC (1991 Special Edition).

There are plenty of great marketplace mail letters from Mr. Carey as I have re-read these past few months looking through my old ones. :luhv:

Great comic knowledge of historical worth that is often overlooked and unknown by new collectors. I just read an interview with Fred Guardineer and Bill Gaines which were both really good.