• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINION WHO WAS THE WORST...............

16 posts in this topic

One interesting angle (which I think has been covered before) is to think about great inkers and pencilers who simply did not mesh well together.  Some of the less fortuate parings in my mind: Sinnott on Byrne (Byrne is virtually unrecognisable on those FF issues), Sienkiewicz on BWS (one Excalibur issue) , Rubinstein on Silvestri (some UXM issues), Colletta on Sal Buscema (on the other hand I have a Colletta Kirby which looks simply fantastic, IMHO), BWS on Kirby (on Cap bi-centennial issue) and yes - dare I say it - John Buscema on John Buscema. 

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

One interesting angle (which I think has been covered before) is to think about great inkers and pencilers who simply did not mesh well together.  Some of the less fortuate parings in my mind: Sinnott on Byrne (Byrne is virtually unrecognisable on those FF issues), Sienkiewicz on BWS (one Excalibur issue) , Rubinstein on Silvestri (some UXM issues), Colletta on Sal Buscema (on the other hand I have a Colletta Kirby which looks simply fantastic, IMHO), BWS on Kirby (on Cap bi-centennial issue) and yes - dare I say it - John Buscema on John Buscema. 

I disagree with you when it comes to John Buscema inking himself. The style is different than most and he didn't ink that much at Marvel, usually ink interiors or one or two books a year and he penciled and inked a number of Conan The Barbarian covers. I didn't care for Colletta on Big John on early Avengers lines were too thin for my taste. I worse inker over John Buscema was Bill Sienkiewicz, not because Bill was a bad inker. Sienkiewicz style is just so over powering that John's pencils get lost. 

When I worked on my book "John Buscema The Michelangelo of Comics" I got to see scans of original art featuring so many different inkers over Big John. I really came to appreciate what the inker brings to the finished work. If John inked more often at Marvel I think he would have been great. Here is an example of him inking Indian Chief from Dell 1958. He later left for commercial work and didn't hey back to comics for 8 years. Love the inks on Indian Chief.

indian_chief_30_28.jpg

Indian_chief_30_30.jpg

4 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Different strokes for different folks - BWS on Kirby is beautiful in quite a few folks eyes

I agree with Gene on Coletta - it is quite variable but when poor, really bad - there was a Kirby show in California and they had a complete Coletta Thor issue in the 150s....wow, it was truly horrible.  That said, there are other pages that are splendid and I feel he almost always put better effort into the Kirby Femmes!

2 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Different strokes for different folks - BWS on Kirby is beautiful in quite a few folks eyes

I agree with Gene on Coletta - it is quite variable but when poor, really bad - there was a Kirby show in California and they had a complete Coletta Thor issue in the 150s....wow, it was truly horrible.  That said, there are other pages that are splendid and I feel he almost always put better effort into the Kirby Femmes!

In Coletta’s defense, the Kirby biography mentioned that to meet deadlines, he sometimes churned out as many as three pages per day. If Coletta was expected to keep pace with anything like that, no wonder he had some less than great product out there. 

9 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I disagree with you when it comes to John Buscema inking himself. The style is different than most and he didn't ink that much at Marvel, usually ink interiors or one or two books a year and he penciled and inked a number of Conan The Barbarian covers. I didn't care for Colletta on Big John on early Avengers lines were too thin for my taste. I worse inker over John Buscema was Bill Sienkiewicz, not because Bill was a bad inker. Sienkiewicz style is just so over powering that John's pencils get lost. 

When I worked on my book "John Buscema The Michelangelo of Comics" I got to see scans of original art featuring so many different inkers over Big John. I really came to appreciate what the inker brings to the finished work. If John inked more often at Marvel I think he would have been great. Here is an example of him inking Indian Chief from Dell 1958. He later left for commercial work and didn't hey back to comics for 8 years. Love the inks on Indian Chief.

indian_chief_30_28.jpg

Indian_chief_30_30.jpg

Disagree on these pages. Inking and pencilling are different skills which channel different parts of the brain. Energy, gesture and rhythm were his strengths. Slowing down to render, not so much.

Colletta inking Kirby on Thor was variable in quality though I do like quite a few issues' worth of collaborations.

George Roussos or Paul Reinman would probably get my vote for least successful Kirby inkers.

On a separate note, there was Byrne inking Ditko for a Captain Atom story aborted in pencil stage when the title got cancelled in the late 1960s that Byrne later inked for a 1970s edition of the Charlton Bullseye fanzine.  The result was very uneven in parts.

14 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Taking a spin on the topic .worst artist on a character (but if it matters I think he inked himself?)

My least favorite artist on Punisher was Dillon.  The writing was beyond good.. but that did not help me appreciate the art.

images.jpeg.jpg

Pretty sure Palmiotti’s name is on that cover for a reason.... FWIW.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:39 AM, MagnusX said:

I don't like Ordway inking over George Perez or Byrne.

I actually think the Ordway inked issues of FF 270's-280's were the best looking issues of Byrne's FF run, but maybe I'm in the minority.

Instead of crapping on specific inkers or penciller / inker combinations, I'll just mention a few favorite and / or off-beat combinations that I DO like.

• D ick Dillin inked by Sid Greene (JLA) - Dillin's dark pencils lightened up by Greene
  • Don Newton inked by Kurt Schaffenberger (Shazam !) - Schaffenberger because... reasons.
  • John Byrne inked by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (New Teen Titans Annual 2) - 2 masters at work
  • Don Newton inking himself - just a rarity once he left Charlton Comics.
  • Don Newton inked by Alfredo Alcala (Batman) - moody pencils and stylized inks
  • Curt Swan inked by Bob Oksner (70's Superman) - I'm not really into 70's Curt Swan but Oksner made him look really good without totally dominating the pencils.

In general the inker was an accomplished artist on their own but usually did not play the role of the inker.

Edited by Will_K