• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #238 Overpriced?
3 3

39 posts in this topic

I picked up an AMS 9.8 WP a few months ago at the going rate.  It was a lot and I don't regret it! I bought it because I wanted it and not as an investment. I looked hard for that issue back in the 80's ( the only other book back then I looked for was TMNT 1 1st print which could never find). Forget an ASM #238 9.8 back then, I couldn't find any copies! Fast forward 30 years plus me getting back into comics, I splurged. I don't think I will sell it anytime soon but what I'm getting at, is it over priced?

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

I picked up an AMS 9.8 WP a few months ago at the going rate.  It was a lot and I don't regret it! I bought it because I wanted it and not as an investment. I looked hard for that issue back in the 80's ( the only other book back then I looked for was TMNT 1 1st print which could never find). Forget an ASM #238 9.8 back then, I couldn't find any copies! Fast forward 30 years plus me getting back into comics, I splurged. I don't think I will sell it anytime soon but what I'm getting at, is it over priced?

Great book.   What did you pay?:baiting:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Not a fluke. The book took off maybe two or so years ago and pretty much doubled in price over that period. Looking at GPA, seems it was pretty flat for 5 or so years and 2017 was around when it jumped. I remember saving a 9.8 comfortably in my MCS shopping cart for months a while back. It was $500, which seemed to be about the ceiling, and didn't seem to be going anywhere fast so I figured I had plenty of time and I'd buy it whenever I had a spare half-k. Suddenly I noticed people were asking closer to $7-800 on the Bay so I checked back on MCS and their copy was gone. I can't officially pin an exact reason to it, but I feel like it was related to the reboot of Movie Spidey. I just checked mid-grade ASM 1 sales on GPA and they seem to have made a healthy jump around 2016-2017 and that may have also been when AF 15 made its big surge, so I kinda feel like Spidey keys in general got a lot of interest after the previous era of movies were behind us. 

Whether it's driven by nostalgia, speculation on a movie Hobby, or just an increase in ASM keys in general, $1k seems to be the new norm and plenty of people are happy to pay that price. Honestly, it seems crazy to me as it's not a hard book to find in high grade, but he was *the* Spidey villain through almost the entire decade, so popularity seems to be overpowering what should be an abundant supply. After dragging my feet, I finally got a copy a year or so ago and, like you, I'm happy to now have a nice 9.8 tucked away, even though I paid the price for my complacency to get one. The first ASM I can remember reading was 312 back in high school and I was hooked on Hobby after that. I bought any back issues when I could find them locally so I could piece the whole story together and 238 was an elusive grail. Of course, the copy I ended up with didn't have the tatz, but I didn't even know that was a thing until well after I'd bought mine. Anyway, enjoy your copy. It seems to have settled in at this price with a slight upward trend lately, so I don't think you overpaid. 

On 5/18/2019 at 2:02 PM, Xenosmilus said:

1K.  I was speaking in general.  I didn't realize 1st Hobgoblin was as popular as it is and was curious if it was a fluke.

$1K is the current price for a CGC 9.8 with white pages.

its down a bit from 2019 prices, but still a strong book, in high demand.  One thing to keep in mind is that while this issue may have had a healthy print run, many copies had the tattoos removed, thereby impacting the total number of available cgc universal 9.8’s.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:36 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

$1K is the current price for a CGC 9.8 with white pages.

its down a bit from 2019 prices, but still a strong book, in high demand.  One thing to keep in mind is that while this issue may have had a healthy print run, many copies had the tattoos removed, thereby impacting the total number of available cgc universal 9.8’s.

Yup, I agree with this, with the Tattoos playing a part of the value and life of the book.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So there I was earlier today, feeling confident about my 4.6K bid on the asm 238 cgc 9.8 CPV on Heritage.

didnt take long during the live bidding for my bid to be blown outta the water!

$7.8K!  That’s gotta be a new record!

Holly !

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So there I was earlier today, feeling confident about my 4.6K bid on the asm 238 cgc 9.8 CPV on Heritage.

Was this the Canada Price version?

17 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

14 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Holly !

Holy Holly! :whatthe: