• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found something interesting Spirit Section 9/3/1940
2 2

9 posts in this topic

While at a show yesterday one of the dealers had something unique (at least to me). A newspaper section of the Spirit by Will Eisner from 9/3/1940. My GF wanted it because she liked the cover content of a battered woman fighting back so we grabbed it. I did not know much about it but it was not to much money so it is now here lol. After a bit of digging I have found it in Overstreet and see some have been graded by Cgc (not this one) . So I figured I would share and see what the group knows about collectibility/rarity/history etc. not really sure how to grade since there is not a traditional cover but it seems to be in decent shape- no splits tears or brittleness. 

Thanks to @Jim Corrigan for help with the detective work! 

8ADF1ABA-C9E3-40F4-8C0B-692237E042F3.jpeg

Distributed with the Sunday papers as a comic supplement. Wish I had been around when they came out as they were great stories. Will Eisner was ahead of his time and a great guy. I used to talk to him at San Diego Comic Con in the nineties. Most people wanted to see the Image guys so you could hang with Will and talk and he was very approachable and totally a gentleman.

12 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Distributed with the Sunday papers as a comic supplement. Wish I had been around when they came out as they were great stories. Will Eisner was ahead of his time and a great guy. I used to talk to him at San Diego Comic Con in the nineties. Most people wanted to see the Image guys so you could hang with Will and talk and he was very approachable and totally a gentleman.

That is a great story.  I would have loved to have met him.  Definitely a pioneer in the hobby.  I remember discovering The Warren Spirit reprints in the 70s and thought my god, this is so good and different than the super-hero books I usually devoured.  I have posted before but some time ago, I picked up a National Comics #4 with an Eisner sig on the Uncle Sam splash page.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

That is a great story.  I would have loved to have met him.  Definitely a pioneer in the hobby.  I remember discovering The Warren Spirit reprints in the 70s and thought my god, this is so good and different than the super-hero books I usually devoured.  I have posted before but some time ago, I picked up a National Comics #4 with an Eisner sig on the Uncle Sam splash page.

Here is a another featuring......HITLER where he appears several times in the Spirit story.

The cover is reminiscent of an illuminated manuscript and is very cool if you read it. :wink:

Spirt secion.jpg

Edited by eccomic