• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Nickel City Con Report
2 2

94 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yes but the Buffalo show is in a big hall with stars and artists etc. The small NJ shows have none of that so no need to cover those costs with admission dollars. That is why I said apples and oranges. No spouses are going to the NJ shows thinking they can find something to do. And the NJ shows are not all day affairs, no cosplay, etc.

Sounds like they didn't get too many stars or artists though?

Anyway, Brooklyn apparently has a "comic con".. for $30 sunday/$20 Saturday... but as far as I can tell, there might only be one dealer selling comics!!  https://www.bkcomiccon.com/tickets

With that said, I have been to that Brooklyn venue for a cheese show (they had more than cheese, I ate some frigging amazing sausage and salami and got pretty drunk) and it would be pretty nice for a comic show. A little bit remote in terms of subways...one local line that is not easy to get to...but the neighborhood around there is absolutely hopping.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:27 AM, Grib said:

I disagree with every year being worse than the year before, the first year had Neal Adams and cosplay, year two William Shatner lots of artists, year 3 Richard Dreyfus, Frank Cho, Mike Zeck, lou ferrigno, many many wrestlers and a major horror section. This year they went big on wrestlers and again horror. I'm not a horror or a wrestler fan and I think it was a mistake but up until this year the quality was growing. I think the real problem isn't Buffalo is to small for 3 days but to many cons in the area all being 3 days. You just had Toronto comic con, you have Niagara Falls in 3 weeks, London Ont in and Fan Expo in August. Add Rochester and Syracuse you are over saturated in the area. Plus Cleveland is only 3 hours away. Lots of cons for dealers to choose from. It might be wise to have the con earlier in the year during a slower con season. 

Yeah, its not that the area is too small, you have a bunch of other cities within 2 hours of Buffalo, but if every one of them is having a con like this it gets pretty saturated

That show looked like a smaller version of Wizard World Philadelphia.  Car Insurance and quotes for shingles on for your house lol

The ASM 361 if it was in NM condition is a fair price especially if since you could have prob gotten it for $80-85 cash, but the 362 and 363, good lord that is junk.  I used to use those issues to pack up eBay CGC orders with.  Come to think of it actually, I think I still do. hm

$32.50-40.00 bucks is very steep for such a one day looking hotel show with no real vendors in the room.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

10 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

That show looked like a smaller version of Wizard World Philadelphia.  Car Insurance and quotes for shingles on for your house lol

The ASM 361 if it was in NM condition is a fair price especially if since you could have prob gotten it for $80-85 cash, but the 362 and 363, good lord that is junk.  I used to use those issues to pack up eBay CGC orders with.  Come to think of it actually, I think I still do. hm

$32.50-40.00 bucks is very steep for such a one day looking hotel show with no real vendors in the room.

What you used to do with a book is irrelevant, the current market says 363 is about a $7-$10 book and 362 is $13 - $18 or so. So not $50, but not dollar box books. Well, maybe the 363.

This three day show was at the Buffalo Convention Center.
I only showed pictures of the convention center main room, where most of the vendors were.   The con also used other meeting rooms for exhibits and such.

But still, only five comic vendors. 

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

What you used to do with a book is irrelevant, the current market says 363 is about a $7-$10 book and 362 is $13 - $18 or so. So not $50, but not dollar box books. Well, maybe the 363.

I don't understand your point.  You just agreed that dealers asking price is out of whack.  I still would you use ASM 362 363 as packing material.  Its absolute garbage. 

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I don't understand your point.  You just agreed that dealers asking price is out of whack.  I still would you use ASM 362 363 as packing material.  Its absolute garbage. 

The pricing is out of whack, sure, but the books themselves aren't packing material or "absolute garbage" as you're calling it (maybe the stories are garbage, I have not read them for over 25 years). The 362/363 sell as a set nicely in the $15-$25 range. While that isn't the type of sale that has me jumping up and down, I'm happy to make it. Sure beats packing and shipping a $3 sale...

Just now, the blob said:

The pricing is out of whack, sure, but the books themselves aren't packing material or "absolute garbage" as you're calling it (maybe the stories are garbage, I have not read them for over 25 years). The 362/363 sell as a set nicely in the $15-$25 range. While that isn't the type of sale that has me jumping up and down, I'm happy to make it. Sure beats packing and shipping a $3 sale...

How many do you want I prob still have 50 copies of each? 

4 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

How many do you want I prob still have 50 copies of each? 

I will buy all of them for $1 each!! ;-)  (Yeah, I have a bunch too, although I sold a bunch during/after the venom movie). It's pretty exciting when these books finally are barely worth listing on ebay after sitting there for so long. (I don't want to play around with fixed prices under $10, although I occasionally start auctions at 3.99 - 4.99 even though I doubt there will be multiple bids when I list a bunch of a title, figuring people will win more than one auction.

18 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I only showed pictures of the convention center main room, where most of the vendors were.   The con also used other meeting rooms for exhibits and such.

Where is the most important picture from usual recap?  Buffalo Wings and beers? (shrug)

27 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Where is the most important picture from usual recap?  Buffalo Wings and beers? (shrug)

If I ever have to go back up there (and if I stay in this job, I will be back up there eventually), where's the best place to go for wings? I can't handle too much heat though.

31 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:
50 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I only go for wings and beer when Boardie SolitaireOne is at the show.  He wasn't around this time. 

6 minutes ago, the blob said:
35 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

If I ever have to go back up there (and if I stay in this job, I will be back up there eventually), where's the best place to go for wings? I can't handle too much heat though.

Three locations!   http://www.duffswings.com/  ... and they ship too - https://www.goldbelly.com/duffs-famous-wings 

1 hour ago, Bird said:

They are really apples and oranges. The NJ shows are comics only generally and held in small venues with about 20 vendors. The East Coast Comic Con had comparable rates to the Buffalo show; it was $40.50 for Sunday if you bought the ticket day of show! Way too much for a comic con if you are only there for the comics.

I think that nearly every medium-to-large sized city could stand to have a one-day show 3-4 times a year. I think that it makes the hobby stronger. Now, obviously, New Jersey has a few things going for it -- it is very densely populated, it has a lot of high earners, it is very close to two very large cities -- but I am always surprised when I see large cities not having something more often. 

Is there a regular Nashville show? Or Phoenix? Or Las Vegas? 

They are very inexpensive to put together. A small hotel ballroom or a VFW can cost as little at $800 on a Sunday (when they usually struggle to fill spaces). You sell 25-40 tables at $50-75 each, spend a little money on fliers and a website, $3 admission... PROFIT.

4 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I think that nearly every medium-to-large sized city could stand to have a one-day show 3-4 times a year. I think that it makes the hobby stronger. Now, obviously, New Jersey has a few things going for it -- it is very densely populated, it has a lot of high earners, it is very close to two very large cities -- but I am always surprised when I see large cities not having something more often. 

Is there a regular Nashville show? Or Phoenix? Or Las Vegas? 

They are very inexpensive to put together. A small hotel ballroom or a VFW can cost as little at $800 on a Sunday (when they usually struggle to fill spaces). You sell 25-40 tables at $50-75 each, spend a little money on fliers and a website, $3 admission... PROFIT.

Which is why they seem to be exploding in popularity in my area.  There is another one in Cleveland / Akron / Youngstown every year and the old ones just keep getting bigger.  You expand the radius to include Detroit/Pittsburgh/Columbus/Buffalo and you could probably go to a comic con every couple weeks without trying hard.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Which is why they seem to be exploding in popularity in my area.  There is another one in Cleveland / Akron / Youngstown every year and the old ones just keep getting bigger.  You expand the radius to include Detroit/Pittsburgh/Columbus/Buffalo and you could probably go to a comic con every couple weeks without trying hard.

That's great. I would just hope that these shows stay one day, low cost, comic focused, because there is a definite want/need for them. When you move to two days, the dealer's costs go up significantly higher than the potential rewards.