• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Nickel City Con Report
2 2

94 posts in this topic

I went to the show on Friday and Sat. I had a few books signed and went to a few panels. It was fun, not as good a show as the last 3 years but still fun. A few guess cancelled including Linda Blair at the last minute due to illness really hurt attendance. Horror con part was well received. Still glad I went. I went to worse shows both in town and out. Better than a small show in a hotel. 

1 hour ago, Grib said:

I went to the show on Friday and Sat. I had a few books signed and went to a few panels. It was fun, not as good a show as the last 3 years but still fun. A few guess cancelled including Linda Blair at the last minute due to illness really hurt attendance. Horror con part was well received. Still glad I went. I went to worse shows both in town and out. Better than a small show in a hotel. 

I disagree with the comment about how a show that features 5 comic dealers and lasts for 3 days can possibly be better than single day show at a smaller venue. You admitted that show was not as good as last year. Its my opinion that this show has gotten worse yearly since the very first show a steady decline. As much as I love comic books buffalo in my opinion cannot support more than 1 days shows and wasting more than more than a 1/2hr of time and 30+ $  The weather in buffalo was absolutely wonderful today. Thank you blowie for your report glad I didn't waste my time or money again at a D & A  event. 

8 hours ago, anstettoman said:

I disagree with the comment about how a show that features 5 comic dealers and lasts for 3 days can possibly be better than single day show at a smaller venue. You admitted that show was not as good as last year. Its my opinion that this show has gotten worse yearly since the very first show a steady decline. As much as I love comic books buffalo in my opinion cannot support more than 1 days shows and wasting more than more than a 1/2hr of time and 30+ $  The weather in buffalo was absolutely wonderful today. Thank you blowie for your report glad I didn't waste my time or money again at a D & A  event. 

I disagree with every year being worse than the year before, the first year had Neal Adams and cosplay, year two William Shatner lots of artists, year 3 Richard Dreyfus, Frank Cho, Mike Zeck, lou ferrigno, many many wrestlers and a major horror section. This year they went big on wrestlers and again horror. I'm not a horror or a wrestler fan and I think it was a mistake but up until this year the quality was growing. I think the real problem isn't Buffalo is to small for 3 days but to many cons in the area all being 3 days. You just had Toronto comic con, you have Niagara Falls in 3 weeks, London Ont in and Fan Expo in August. Add Rochester and Syracuse you are over saturated in the area. Plus Cleveland is only 3 hours away. Lots of cons for dealers to choose from. It might be wise to have the con earlier in the year during a slower con season. 

I would say that ... I can cross off Nickel City Comic Con off my list. Seeing the photos where cellphones booths, food booths and whatever non-comic related booths are there. And few comic book vendors?  I can get the same thing just going to PNE Playland fair in August here. Amusement rides is a bonus. :grin:

16 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Prices were silly.  I didn't see many books being purchased. 

@BlowUpTheMoon Great coverage of this con!

You should send those pics of ASM 361,363 to Swarmi! He will be excited! 

All the cons have the same story: not enough dealers, the dealers prices are too high, cell phones, insurance co, WTF?!

I'd rather put my $50 towards buying something here or on ebay

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, $32.50 for that waste of time? I’d be pizzed. Did they have a dealer list on their website? They must have been desperate to have insurance and nut vendors. I didn’t know any of the Ramones were still alive. Looks like nobody cared. 

My town had a pretty decent show but has whittled down to about the same. 3 vintage comic dealers I see all the time and a bunch of modern comic artists I don’t even know about. Lots of cosplay though. $40 admission. I haven’t been in several years despite being 15-20 minutes away. I even turned down a free dealers badge last time. 

Marky Ramone replaced Tommy Ramone sometime in 1978, so not an original member but still played with them for years.

Anyway, sounds like a disappointing show for a comic collector.

20 hours ago, Grib said:

This year, they were hit with an unexpected MegaCon weekend move. That being said... I bought a 3 day Flash pass and went only on Friday.

Blowie, you’re the Bad Luck Shleprock of comic shows. Keep up the photo shoots and thanks for the report! I would not have been happy dropping $30+ for that. 

A few years ago Marky Ramone was at a small local show. I brought a few records from one of his pre-Ramones bands (Dust) thinking I’d get them signed, but could not wrap my head around his fee and didn’t bother.

On May 18, 2019 at 1:16 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

IMG_20190518_121338625.thumb.jpg.d94c5403a4743fb726e38b1205dd0735.jpg

Getting your meat smoked at a comic convention?  My how times have changed...,. hm

Greasy meat and sticky lollipops are exactly what you want in the hands of people flipping thru your comics.

$32.50 for that karp is criminal. They run shows in Jersey almost every weekend that are free or near-free that sound vastly superior. I wish they'd do that in NYC, particularly Brooklyn. They had a small, cheap, show at a holiday inn on 57th for a while around 20 years ago. Once carbonaro moved out of the church it got expensive

Edited by the blob

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

$32.50 for that karp is criminal. They run shows in Jersey almost every weekend that are free or near-free that sound vastly superior. I wish they'd do that in NYC, particularly Brooklyn. 

They are really apples and oranges. The NJ shows are comics only generally and held in small venues with about 20 vendors. The East Coast Comic Con had comparable rates to the Buffalo show; it was $40.50 for Sunday if you bought the ticket day of show! Way too much for a comic con if you are only there for the comics.

Edited by Bird
But yes, the small NJ shows are excellent. Going to Old Bridge this coming Sunday!

Just now, Bird said:

They are really apples and oranges. The NJ shows are comics only generally and held in small venues with about 20 vendors. The East Coast Comic Con had comparable rates to the Buffalo show; it was $40.50 for Sunday if you bought the ticket day of show! Way too much for a comic con if you are only there for the comics.

I am talking from a comics perspective? What is nycc nowadays (if you can even get a ticket) that was $35-40 a day in recent memory. Is it $50-60 now? That is enough of a spectacle to justify it, arguably. So the jersey shows have 20 dealers and tve $32.50 show has 5? Where am I going!??! (Well, I'm not going to buffalo unless I am visiting Attica or wende, so that's a moot point....)

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I am talking from a comics perspective? What is nycc nowadays (if you can even get a ticket) that was $35-40 a day in recent memory. Is it $50-60 now? That is enough of a spectacle to justify it, arguably. So the jersey shows have 20 dealers and tve $32.50 show has 5? Where am I going!??! (Well, I'm not going to buffalo unless I am visiting Attica or wende, so that's a moot point....)

Yes but the Buffalo show is in a big hall with stars and artists etc. The small NJ shows have none of that so no need to cover those costs with admission dollars. That is why I said apples and oranges. No spouses are going to the NJ shows thinking they can find something to do. And the NJ shows are not all day affairs, no cosplay, etc.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

One of these days I need to check out a jersey show, but before then I need to halve my collection.

Fill up the car and accomplish both goals at the same time! Or be a vendor at a NJ show maybe.