• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressable defects and how much of a potential upgrade?

6 posts in this topic

I have an X-Men 4 CGC 7.5 which appears to have some pressable defects.  As more of a collector than reseller I've never personally gone through this process before.  Would like to get opinions on:

a) Do you think the 2 defects can be pressed out?

b) What do you think is the potential point upgrade range (ie 0-.5 no change to half point; 0.5-1.0 for sure at least .5 maybe up to 1 point; etc)  ?

First defect is on the back cover, and is an indentation running a solid 1.5 inches.  Doesn't seem to be any tearing though the indentation does look deep.  One picture has the light shining right into the indentation - other one is angled off the light.

Second defect is a small bend in the upper right corner of the front cover.  Again I shined the light right on it in one picture to accentuate it.  The other picture shows no color break - though you do see minor break to the right of the CCA stamp.

Note I bought this book slabbed so never touched it raw and do not have the grader notes.

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

I posted some more photos.  Bindery chip on the front upper left corner, small area of visible spine wear, some color breaking spine ticks mid to lower left.  There are a couple of creases on Mags.  What's interesting is the photo shows the shoulder crease to be more prominent than the midsection crease (in hand viewing it's the opposite).  It's just due to the lighting hitting directly on the shoulder.  You see the "white" on his purple helmet - this particular section does not show as color breaking white in person, but crease is clearly visible.

In person the midsection crease shows more color break white, though very slight.  The shoulder crease shows barely color breaking crease in some areas.

IMG_3296.thumb.jpg.c4848999fb4a441fd216cfbb582ab0b3.jpgIMG_3298.thumb.jpg.889ceda62f99cd71ee59729b7b7e09e7.jpgIMG_3299.thumb.jpg.c7a81cfa9ebdd88d6834541cff37dfcc.jpgIMG_3303.thumb.jpg.33aebaa5bc5494772a0fe12debb8cdda.jpg  

15 hours ago, aszumilo said:

Those should press out, but, it is difficult to say what the grade change would be without seeing the whole book.  I would think a .5 bump would be realistic at minimum just from what you've shown here.

That 1.5 inch bend on the back cover may be able to be flattened but there is a solid indentation there that would remain.  The best thing is to submit to CCS, in the slab, for an evaluation. I suspect there is a 0.5 upgrade here for just submitting it.

17 hours ago, 234wallst said:

I have an X-Men 4 CGC 7.5 which appears to have some pressable defects.  As more of a collector than reseller I've never personally gone through this process before.  Would like to get opinions on:

a) Do you think the 2 defects can be pressed out?

b) What do you think is the potential point upgrade range (ie 0-.5 no change to half point; 0.5-1.0 for sure at least .5 maybe up to 1 point; etc)  ?

First defect is on the back cover, and is an indentation running a solid 1.5 inches.  Doesn't seem to be any tearing though the indentation does look deep.  One picture has the light shining right into the indentation - other one is angled off the light.

Second defect is a small bend in the upper right corner of the front cover.  Again I shined the light right on it in one picture to accentuate it.  The other picture shows no color break - though you do see minor break to the right of the CCA stamp.

Note I bought this book slabbed so never touched it raw and do not have the grader notes.

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

A competent presser will be able to get that indentation out, no problem, was well as the bend in the URC.

As far as affecting the grade, at the 7.5 level, those two flaws probably don't affect it that much...the indentation moreso, though. If there are other non-color breaking flaws, they all should come out. The dust shadows and tanning will probably be your biggest problem (it looks like the tanning on the interior covers is noticeable, in the "moderate" category), but an 8.0-8.5 might not be out of the question.

35 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

As far as affecting the grade, at the 7.5 level, those two flaws probably don't affect it that much...the indentation moreso, though. If there are other non-color breaking flaws, they all should come out. The dust shadows and tanning will probably be your biggest problem (it looks like the tanning on the interior covers is noticeable, in the "moderate" category), but an 8.0-8.5 might not be out of the question.

+1