• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

High demand along all areas. Supply is trying to keep up with it. In some cases supply is meeting demand but in most cases supply can’t keep up. So prices on everything desirsble keep rising, whether it’s rare variants to keys to art.

Hype driven money from people who aren’t really comic fans and probably aren’t in it for the long haul. I don’t expect a massive adjustment any time soon but I don’t see prices continuing to rise forever either. At one point a lot of comic “investors” will decide to invest in something else

It is across all areas... I bought back an example of every GI Joe figure I had as a kid back in October throughout December.  Then in January I decided that I didn't need them / should not have done that.  

I am basically selling the figures I bought for 1.5 to 2x what I paid.

In some cases I "hit gold"   For example, I paid $38 shipped for a Scarlett broken and faded Scarlett with swivel arms that were nice and a Cobra Commander.  I swapped out the decent parts to another Scarlett figure making an even more horrible Scarlett that did not even have a back screw.  Sold the broken Scarlett for $42 (advertised as parts only - broken) and the Cobra Commander for $75.  Bought Outback for $35?  Sold him for $70 a couple of months later.  Bought Zartan for $50?  Sold him privately on Craigslist for $95.... 

People are paying high prices across the board.  

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

It is across all areas... I bought back an example of every GI Joe figure I had as a kid back in October throughout December.  Then in January I decided that I didn't need them / should not have done that.  

I am basically selling the figures I bought for 1.5 to 2x what I paid.

In some cases I "hit gold"   For example, I paid $38 shipped for a Scarlett broken and faded Scarlett with swivel arms that were nice and a Cobra Commander.  I swapped out the decent parts to another Scarlett figure making an even more horrible Scarlett that did not even have a back screw.  Sold the broken Scarlett for $42 (advertised as parts only - broken) and the Cobra Commander for $75.  Bought Outback for $35?  Sold him for $70 a couple of months later.  Bought Zartan for $50?  Sold him privately on Craigslist for $95.... 

People are paying high prices across the board.  

Sounds like they are trying to figure out what collectible will be profitable and trying to get ahead of the game.

Kudos on the toys.

5 minutes ago, 3319comics said:

What happens when all these "investors" who really don't care start dumping to get out to the next thing?

The real comic people get the riches of... Oh, wait, it's mostly Modern drek...

Maybe a small fortune of decent comics..?

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What is the next thing? So I can get out too it.

Didn't a similar thing happen to the sports card market? They slowly started to pump more and more variants, chase sets, low print things in the packs till the whole pack became nothing but a variant pack. After which the pack became to expensive for the average person to buy and all the items in the pack had to be top dollar to recoup costs. Now nothing is worth much anymore.

Is the same going to happen to the comic book market ? Now books increase 10 times there worth by just a mention of being in a new movie or show. How long will that last? Now you have to be rich to actually collect in this market.

1 minute ago, 3319comics said:

Didn't a similar thing happen to the sports card market? They slowly started to pump more and more variants, chase sets, low print things in the packs till the whole pack became nothing but a variant pack. After which the pack became to expensive for the average person to buy and all the items in the pack had to be top dollar to recoup costs. Now nothing is worth much anymore.

Is the same going to happen to the comic book market ? Now books increase 10 times there worth by just a mention of being in a new movie or show. How long will that last? Now you have to be rich to actually collect in this market.

Yep. Noticed it.

Sports cards...uggh.

42 minutes ago, 3319comics said:

I chuckled when I read this- Sport card variants? lol 

But to be fair, I'd pay for a Butt-Fumble variant.

Having lived through the 90s boom and bust I am seeing a lot of the same complaints from "real" collectors. I remember when Amazing fantasy went form $10,000 to $30,000 in VF over the course of about a year (92?).  I've been priced out of the Timely market with a few exceptions. Even relatively dead titles like Sub-Mariner Comics and Young Allies are going for prices I can hardly believe. Takes a lot of the fun away when you have to spend more on one book than you would have spent on two the year before. :( 

For years I was able to buy high grade Disney books for great prices but that appears over. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for bargains and send the money I would've spent to send my duplicates to Sarasota. :)