• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2019 at 12:10 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Die 1 9.8 300

Virgin Variants 

Immortal hulk 2

Cosmic dudes trying to be pools of dead

What the hell!!!!

Honestly I feel like going on Ebay,typing in amazing spiderman,filtering ending soonest and just bidding on silver age.

It`s the hottest hobby going now with videogames and sportscards close.

I have this software program for Ebay and according to it comic books rule.

4 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I never understand threads like this where people who are older complain, "back in 1992 I could have gotten this book."  Well guess what you didnt, so either ante up or move on to something else.  Yes we are all sorry a AF 15 you could have bought in 1992 for 30k in VF/NM is now out of your price range.  It's called valuable items usually go up the older they get when demand and relevance remains high.  I think that is in the 1st grade instruction manual of supply/demand economics in a capitalist society.   

The same books that were major comic book keys before 2000 are still the heavy hitters today.  Just now with all these movies they are more expensive because of how the movie and other forms of multimedia have helped these characters popularity spread like a California Wild Fire.  Most knowledgable (assuming most of you here) comic collectors realize most of the post-1990 stuff is junk/drek.  So let the dumb speculators keep buying the virgin, foil, 1:25, 1:50 or whatever variant garbage while you keep buying the real books.  I highly doubt if you buy a Hulk 181, AF 15, FF 1 (you get my point) or a X-men 1 today at market value you regret it in the future.  Sell the modern variant drek and keep the Vintage!    

This is a good post.

The difference between sports cards and comics are sports cards are pictures of real/existing people and their value is based on a players infield performance,which can really influence the value of the particular sports card a collector possesses unlike comics,so once a value is placed on a comic it either stays stagnant or ascends,it rarely depreciates,at least when it comes to older comics,and I mean significantly,not minor bumps,like sports cards can have a $50.00 value one day and 5 years later be a common,take Steve Francis for instance or Garrison Hearst.

Modern variants are probably going to be volatile going forward but the big marvel silver and bronze keys I think will continue the gradual increase. And if you're not rich you can still collect low grade on most books and still afford them except for the huge keys like amazing fantasy 15 hulk 1 and ff1. But that's what tax refunds are for ;)

In a nut shell from what I am seeing is

- the sales numbers on current books are as a whole plummeting compared to even a decade ago

- variants are keeping flippers in the money but only a select few are making the money while most lose just as much as they win

- Key books and about half of the Golden Age books are exploding since demand far outpaces supply

- 95% of all Copper - Silver-Age books have dropped in price (quite a few significantly) with everyone wanting only keys books. 

- the hot book of the month has now become the hot book of the week with several weeks of people speculating on which book will pop in a few weeks. 

Edited by 1Cool

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

What is the most expensive?

It's not collecting comic books, that's for sure.

I'm not an 'expert' on hobbies by any means, but comic books (on average) are not more expensive than vintage cars, alcohol, original art, etc.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

It's not collecting comic books, that's for sure.

I'm not an 'expert' on hobbies by any means, but comic books (on average) are not more expensive than vintage cars, alcohol, original art, etc.

Collecting Alcohol? Like for what purpose. I get rid of it as fast as I consume it.