• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

No, you loser.

Hide contents

:jokealert:

Per the dictionary:

Hobby is an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.  Sitting around looking at your phone is a leisure activity which is scorching hot right now.

Just now, 1Cool said:

Per the dictionary:

Hobby is an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.  Sitting around looking at your phone is a leisure activity which is scorching hot right now.

It's been scorching hot ever since the invention of the smart phone

Just now, 1Cool said:

Per the dictionary:

Hmm...

If true, I think the dictionary should change its definition...

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's been scorching hot ever since the invention of the smart phone

Too bad the general census of those using it are not so smart.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You are the type of person people build life long friendships with.

Ha! If only their lives are not very long. :devil:

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Hmm...

If true, I think the dictionary should change its definition...

I regularly use my phone to go on you tube and for pleasure. As a matter of fact I am supposed to be working...and yet I am doing my hobby of provoking my boss to anger while using my phone to do my other hobby of chatting here,which by definition both are hobbies...or if youd like past times...like when I'm out in public with my GF and people are listening to our conversation I say "I told you to do the dishes and the laundry last night...you better do them when we get home"

I regularly do this to annoy the people eaves dropping and I do it for my pleasure...as I regularly wash dishes and do laundry,not for pleasure so that is not a hobby.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I regularly use my phone to go on you tube and for pleasure. As a matter of fact I am supposed to be working...and yet I am doing my hobby of provoking my boss to anger while using my phone to do my other hobby of chatting here,which by definition both are hobbies...or if youd like past times...like when I'm out in public with my GF and people are listening to our conversation I say "I told you to do the dishes and the laundry last night...you better do them when we get home"

I regularly do this to annoy the people eaves dropping and I do it for my pleasure...as I regularly wash dishes and do laundry,not for pleasure so that is not a hobby.

I think you're paranoid. No one is eavesdropping on your mundane conversations.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I think you're paranoid. No one is eavesdropping on your mundane conversations.

How dare you!

We were engaging in a deep and heated debate on existentialism I was saying that I agree with Sartre "Hell is other people" she took Descartes point of view that "I think therefore I am" I retorted that people are better off independent of others and we can be more productive working on our own. She disagreed suggesting that when the greatest minds are put together they can accomplish astronomical things. I arched my eyebrow and said "The Manhattan project!"

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

How dare you!

We were engaging in a deep and heated debate on existentialism I was saying that I agree with Sartre "Hell is other people" she took Descartes point of view that "I think therefore I am" I retorted that people are better off independent of others and we can be more productive working on our own. She disagreed suggesting that when the greatest minds are put together they can accomplish astronomical things. I arched my eyebrow and said "The Manhattan project!"

Cue the Billy Madison quote...

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Cue the Billy Madison quote...

Billy Madison quoted this?

That's dangerous,its crazy how much things are in your subconscious that are brought to the surface in everyday conversation. I worry about that,since I write,so I may think I'm being creative when in fact I'm just rehashing other peoples already preconceived ideas...aaaahh.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

In a nut shell from what I am seeing is

- the sales numbers on current books are as a whole plummeting compared to even a decade ago

https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

FYI:

Dollar Sales for All Diamond's Comics (est., based on Diamond's reports):

2009  $279 million  
2010  $266 million  
2011 $269 million  
2012  $310 million  
2013  $341 million  
2014  $355 million  
2015  $388 million  
2016  $382 million  
2017  $346 million  
2018  $348 million  

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

FYI:

2009  $279 million  
2010  $266 million  
2011 $269 million  
2012  $310 million  
2013  $341 million  
2014  $355 million  
2015  $388 million  
2016  $382 million  
2017  $346 million  
2018  $348 million  

Yeah...that doesn't look like its plummeting.

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Billy Madison quoted this?

That's dangerous,its crazy how much things are in your subconscious that are brought to the surface in everyday conversation. I worry about that,since I write,so I may think I'm being creative when in fact I'm just rehashing other peoples already preconceived ideas...aaaahh.

No.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

FYI:

2009  $279 million  
2010  $266 million  
2011 $269 million  
2012  $310 million  
2013  $341 million  
2014  $355 million  
2015  $388 million  
2016  $382 million  
2017  $346 million  
2018  $348 million  

Interesting info.  Not a large amount of money when a single movie can generate 8x that much but I agree the numbers do not appear to be dropping compared to ten years ago.  I'm assuming the big difference is the variant market was not strong before 2011.

Edited by 1Cool