• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Interesting info.  Not a large amount of money when a single movie can generate 8x that much but I agree the numbers do not appear to be dropping compared to ten years ago.  I'm assuming the big difference is the variant market was not strong before 2011.

What was going on in 2015/16 to be 10% more than now? Did the Star Wars comics come out then?

36 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

On the college level I agree RJ seemed like the better player but physically Zion should transition better in the pros.  Way too much hype around him but Zion should do better from a total number of all-star games standpoint.

That`s how to make money with modern sportscards.  Much easier than modern comics.

Last year it was Ohtani  and Pat Mahomes rookie cards.

The year before Aaron Judge rookie cards.

Thousands folks thousands.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Your right,its turned from hobby to business and is only for the rich and elite classes of our society.

Hate to break the news, but it has been a business for a long time. As for the rich and elite nonsense...it really isn't. I go to a good big show with $300 to spend and I can walk out with a lot of fun stuff. This is a hobby where there is so much cheap stuff out there. A few books get hot, but there's a whole world of stuff that isn't hot, which might be later, or may never be.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Hate to break the news, but it has been a business for a long time. As for the rich and elite nonsense...it really isn't. I go to a good big show with $300 to spend and I can walk out with a lot of fun stuff. This is a hobby where there is so much cheap stuff out there. A few books get hot, but there's a whole world of stuff that isn't hot, which might be later, or may never be.

All true. $300 buys a week's worth of fun if not every purchase is a mental labor of investment strategy. Could you imagine if every purchase was like that?

"Huh. Damned lawnmower. OK, let's see. This one is $250. Can I resell it next year and get my money back or make a profit? Let me check the classifieds. let me check the net. Let me check the pawn shops to see what the used market value trends are for this and if I stand to lose, break even, or come out ahead". etc. etc. ...

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

All true. $300 buys a week's worth of fun if not every purchase is a mental labor of investment strategy. Could you imagine if every purchase was like that?

"Huh. Damned lawnmower. OK, let's see. This one is $250. Can I resell it next year and get my money back or make a profit? Let me check the classifieds. let me check the net. Let me check the pawn shops". etc. etc. ...

Well, yes, I'm not talking about new books, but yes. I'm talking about vintage books (admittedly, mostly "run filler" nowadays) that sell for as much as the new stuff. You have to value reading them right now for new books to make sense. Yeah, buying new books...one has to forego their weekly visit to the strip club to be able to afford them, I agree, it's nuts.

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

"Huh. Damned lawnmower. OK, let's see. This one is $250. Can I resell it next year and get my money back or make a profit? Let me check the classifieds. let me check the net. Let me check the pawn shops to see what the used market value trends are for this and if I stand to lose, break even, or come out ahead". etc. etc. ...

Yup. If you buy what you like/love, then you'll enjoy owning it if you can't sell it.

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

That's the biz!

The hobby has never been a better time (other then during a sever crash) to buy random non key books.  Set aside $30 a week and you will have a great assortment of classic books after a couple months.  Mid grade Silver-Age books are cheap as hell especially if you wait a bit and grab some during auctions or with bulk low ball offers.  Avoid the select keys and you will be surprised what you can get now for dirt cheap.

49 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Quoted!

Being in good voice and in a rhyming mood, I may even write a song today about how there's noooo business like comic book business, there's noooo business I knooooooooooooooooow…………...  lol 

Because  there's no people like Comic book people, they smile when they are low...

I'm definitely on to something.

Edited by James J Johnson

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Being in good voice and in a rhyming mood, I may even write a song today about how there's noooo business like comic book business, there's noooo business I knooooooooooooooooow…………...  lol 

Because  there's no people like Comic book people, they smile when they are low...

I'm definitely on to something.

You have an agent?

Just now, the blob said:

And whose to say those books will never get hot?

Thanks! That's some pretty awesome research.

Too be honest,there needs to be a Valhalla for certain people who post on this site,people who go above and beyond what is the call of duty in this hobby. I can name several,but you are one of them.

11 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

And whose to say those books will never get hot?

Thanks! That's some pretty awesome research.

Too be honest,there needs to be a Valhalla for certain people who post on this site,people who go above and beyond what is the call of duty in this hobby. I can name several,but you are one of them.

What is hot to you might not be what is hot to others.  The old saying one man's trash is another man's treasure, works well in this situation.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am going to give you all a hint.

When his rookie card drops later in the year it will be worth more than Walking Dead 1.

image.jpeg.cac62c4a9079e0b606e69f94483b49ec.jpeg

Which brand of hoops card is the best one to get for Zion rookies? I am leaning towards picking up a case on speculation. Should have pulled the trigger with Lebron way back when but didn't.

At least it only took 3 boxes for my son and I to pull a McDavid Upper Deck Young Guns RC. The only guarantee was one per case of boxes.