• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

Which brand of hoops card is the best one to get for Zion rookies? I am leaning towards picking up a case on speculation. Should have pulled the trigger with Lebron way back when but didn't.

At least it only took 3 boxes for my son and I to pull a McDavid Upper Deck Young Guns RC. The only guarantee was one per case of boxes.

Prizm hobby box about late October or early November.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

16 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

So let the dumb speculators keep buying the virgin, foil, 1:25, 1:50 or whatever variant garbage while you keep buying the real books.  I highly doubt if you buy a Hulk 181, AF 15, FF 1 (you get my point) or a X-men 1 today at market value you regret it in the future.  Sell the modern variant drek and keep the Vintage!    

We need the speculators to buy up the modern variant drek.  When the hobby hits a recession (it will, at some point), the modern drek speculators holding the bag serve as a buffer because they will be the first to take the hit.  

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Which brand of hoops card is the best one to get for Zion rookies? I am leaning towards picking up a case on speculation. Should have pulled the trigger with Lebron way back when but didn't.

At least it only took 3 boxes for my son and I to pull a McDavid Upper Deck Young Guns RC. The only guarantee was one per case of boxes.

That McDavid...sweeeeet.

I kind of love that the hobby (in terms of keys and older books) is doing well. Be interesting to know if dealers are fairing better than ever or not though.

I am interested to see if it will come crashing down. Seems like there is endless material to develop on TV/movies so until they cannot do any more there, I predict that almost any character who was ever of any significance in any comic realm will one day be seen on screen. This should serve to fuel speculation and comic values for quite some time. 

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I predict that almost any character who was ever of any significance in any comic realm will one day be seen on screen.

Disney's stand alone streaming service will help with this.

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

We need the speculators to buy up the modern variant drek.  When the hobby hits a recession (it will, at some point), the modern drek speculators holding the bag serve as a buffer because they will be the first to take the hit.  

The market will crash at some point. Every market does. I wouldn't touch the modern variants, they will get smoked when the market turns. A lot of the comic market is being held up by the movies. When marvel starts making bad movies, the comic market will crash. The vintage keys will go down but I doubt the will crash. Stay with those.

I don't  see the prices going up on both keys and moderns a bad thing. it's bad if your the the buyer, not if your the seller.

Edited by Gabagool

(I skimmed the thread so apologies if I missed someone mentioning this) ::

One thing that is very difficult to comprehend about changing values is the part inflation plays - especially for higher dollar or sought after stuff.  Sure there are cycles in what is hot and spec for optioned books etc., but even if you got a huge book for $5,000 in 1990... in today's money that is now roughly $10,000.  So combine inflation with the market in general causing a rise in all prices and it's easy to see how things can get out of hand quickly. 

Plus, wages are stagnant right now in the US, but the cost of almost everything is increasing. This just makes everything feel more expensive. 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Really disappointed. At least with Auston Matthew's or McDavid you cant go wrong.lol

We will see with Matthews. The jury is still out on how dominant he will become. McDavid is a generational talent while Matthews is a very good to great one (if he can stay healthy.....). There is a big difference in card values over time - look at Crosby vs Ovechkin (even though I like Ovie better).

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The hobby has never been a better time (other then during a sever crash) to buy random non key books.  Set aside $30 a week and you will have a great assortment of classic books after a couple months.  Mid grade Silver-Age books are cheap as hell especially if you wait a bit and grab some during auctions or with bulk low ball offers.  Avoid the select keys and you will be surprised what you can get now for dirt cheap.

Well, unfortunately this strategy will definitely work with the common Marvel and DC collectible books.  (thumbsu

It most probably wouldn't work for the GA collectors, especially the ones who are more interested in some of the 2nd tier publishers like Centaur and Fox where you are lucky to find a copy in any condition at all.  If you are fortunate enough to find them, it'll definitely cost you a lot more than $30 as they usually go for huge multiples to condition guide across the board.  :frown:

9 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

The market will crash at some point. Every market does. I wouldn't touch the modern variants, they will get smoked when the market turns. A lot of the comic market is being held up by the movies. When marvel starts making bad movies, the comic market will crash. The vintage keys will go down but I doubt the will crash. Stay with those.

What if marvel doesn't make bad movies? 11 years and we haven't had a bad one (every movie has made good money and had overall positive reviews). 

5 hours ago, kimik said:

We will see with Matthews. The jury is still out on how dominant he will become. McDavid is a generational talent while Matthews is a very good to great one (if he can stay healthy.....). There is a big difference in card values over time - look at Crosby vs Ovechkin (even though I like Ovie better).

I remember when a good players RC would cost $50.00 bucks. I mean it was within reason. Even Gretzkys RC was under 1000k for the longest time.

Bures Young Guns RC,one of my favourite players growing up,was cheap as dirt.

Nowadays it's crazy.

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

What if marvel doesn't make bad movies? 11 years and we haven't had a bad one (every movie has made good money and had overall positive reviews). 

They have done really well.

There’s still the risk of consumer fatigue developing in the longer term, which might have a significantly-negative effect and signal a drift away to other film genres; though I hope not.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, unfortunately this strategy will definitely work with the common Marvel and DC collectible books.  (thumbsu

It most probably wouldn't work for the GA collectors, especially the ones who are more interested in some of the 2nd tier publishers like Centaur and Fox where you are lucky to find a copy in any condition at all.  If you are fortunate enough to find them, it'll definitely cost you a lot more than $30 as they usually go for huge multiples to condition guide across the board.  :frown:

At this point almost all of the Golden Age books should be lumped into the key category since they are just red hot.  There is still some subsets like most funny books and I think westerns but at this point even those books are probably taking off.  But for all the lowly Silver-Age to modern collectors there is a plethora of books out there right now and putting together nice no key runs seems to have never been easier.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

They have done really well.

There’s still the risk of consumer fatigue developing in the longer term, which might have a significantly-negative effect and signal a drift away to other film genres; though I hope not.

When you say consumer fatigue,do you think we will grow weary of the superhero genre?

I tend to see your point,but I like how some franchises have gone intergalactic.