• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

When you say consumer fatigue,do you think we will grow weary of the superhero genre?

I tend to see your point,but I like how some franchises have gone intergalactic.

If you're talking about movies/TV shows - they have not done this.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

You literally quoted what I said.

Are you saying MCU have not all but moved to intergalactic stuff(sorry,couldn't come up with a better word)?

Even Venom was intergalactic,when you incorporate any type of Alien species it becomes intergalactic.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Are you saying MCU have not all but moved to intergalactic stuff(sorry,couldn't come up with a better word)?

Even Venom was intergalactic,when you incorporate any type of Alien species it becomes intergalactic.

No. Look up the definition of "intergalactic". The MCU, and Venom, both occur within a fictional version of the Milky Way.

Neither have gone intergalactic.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

No. Look up the definition of "intergalactic". The MCU, and Venom, both occur within a fictional version of the Milky Way.

Neither have gone intergalactic.

Hmmmm....good point.

Okay most MCU films have gone spacey,would you agree with me there?

21 hours ago, the blob said:

What was going on in 2015/16 to be 10% more than now? Did the Star Wars comics come out then?

Yes, 2015 for Star Wars #1 (and all those myriad variant covers!). Pretty sharp observation. Not sure if that was the sole driving force for the uptick, but it probably contributed greatly.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

At this point almost all of the Golden Age books should be lumped into the key category since they are just red hot.  There is still some subsets like most funny books and I think westerns but at this point even those books are probably taking off.  But for all the lowly Silver-Age to modern collectors there is a plethora of books out there right now and putting together nice no key runs seems to have never been easier.

Question here is, does value determine if a book is a key? Golden are books are expensive and hard to find, but I still wouldn't consider them a key as most aren't of much historical significance.

I gotta say though, yes, SA (keys and all) runs are getting pretty easy and cheep to put together. Especially DC, with the MCU and Marvel taking almost all the market, most folks seem to have forgotten about DC.

2 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Question here is, does value determine if a book is a key? Golden are books are expensive and hard to find, but I still wouldn't consider them a key as most aren't of much historical significance.

I gotta say though, yes, SA (keys and all) runs are getting pretty easy and cheep to put together. Especially DC, with the MCU and Marvel taking almost all the market, most folks seem to have forgotten about DC.

Value should not have any determination on if a book is a key.  Key should only mean something of importance happened in regards to that book, 1st appearance, 1st time an artist started working on said book, death of certain character, etc.

20 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

100% agree.  Not all Golden Age should be called key books but I was lumping all the Golden Age books into my previous statement when I said books are cheap except for keys.  If I wasn't lazy I would have just gone back and originally said keys and Golden Age books should be avoided and you will have no problem collecting a ton of great books.

20 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

And whose to say those books will never get hot?

Thanks! That's some pretty awesome research.

Too be honest,there needs to be a Valhalla for certain people who post on this site,people who go above and beyond what is the call of duty in this hobby. I can name several,but you are one of them.

No effort on my part.  just looked at a couple of pages of recent silver age sales and cherry picked a few books that fit 1cool's $30 a week criteria.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

100% agree.  Not all Golden Age should be called key books but I was lumping all the Golden Age books into my previous statement when I said books are cheap except for keys.  If I wasn't lazy I would have just gone back and originally said keys and Golden Age books should be avoided and you will have no problem collecting a ton of great books.

Still some cool western that is affordable, war... A lot of stuff outside super heroes, horror, Baker romance, sci do... Cheap barks ducks..  Those have not done jack for 25 years, maybe it's time?

1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

Value should not have any determination on if a book is a key.  Key should only mean something of importance happened in regards to that book, 1st appearance, 1st time an artist started working on said book, death of certain character, etc.

Nitpicking. : )  think 1cool meant more "hot"... Like seemingly any precode horror, anything Matt Baker might have looked at, etc.

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

Still some cool western that is affordable, war... A lot of stuff outside super heroes, horror, Baker romance, sci do... Cheap barks ducks..  Those have not done jack for 25 years, maybe it's time?

Gold war is rapidly picking up heat, unfortunately. Some eye-popping recent results. 

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

They have done really well.

There’s still the risk of consumer fatigue developing in the longer term, which might have a significantly-negative effect and signal a drift away to other film genres; though I hope not.

zzz

16 minutes ago, october said:

Gold war is rapidly picking up heat, unfortunately. Some eye-popping recent results. 

Yes, the nice covers do well. I'm thinking more atomic age stuff.