• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Still some cool western that is affordable, war... A lot of stuff outside super heroes, horror, Baker romance, sci do... Cheap barks ducks..  Those have not done jack for 25 years, maybe it's time?

Looking at today's collectors, do you see any reason westerners or funny animal books will gather momentum? 

40 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Who will replace the whores?:jaws:

Calm down everybody...just calm down...Nobody and I repeat,NOBODY is replacing the whores!

For God sakes man,you trying to start a riot?

If that ever got out that the whores might be replaced, that would be mayhem.Anarchy in the streets.

Keep calm and whore on!

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Looking at today's collectors, do you see any reason westerners or funny animal books will gather momentum? 

I was bidding on some funny animal books that had some WW II themes/references like super rabbit and a bunch of other related stuff I thought nobody would be interested in and all those auctions got jacked up beyond anything I felt comfortable with..$500-$100+ for G/VG to Fine type books. Westerns with cool art/artists? And the Barks Ducks...I guess supply hurts appreciation in that market, but there's a solid market and Ducktales seems to be doing well on TV. I don't think entire genres can rise, but individual books, good covers, art...something like this is going to have a market, no: 

s-l1600.jpg

Or corny stuff like this (I find the Choctaw reference funny as the Choctaw were really not much for war dances, they were more about trade and peaceful pursuits...):

braes.jpg

The Comic Book hobby is showing signs of a slowdown, but like Sportscards, the KEY Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays Rookie cards will ALWAYS have their "sub-markets" that will be trading 100 years from now. 

21 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That's a trend I think we will soon see across the whole hobby. A few books from each title will grow but the rest won't.

I think I'll stick yo the basics

Amazing spiderman, Wolverine ect ect.

This begs the question I've had heated discussions with people regarding weather they buy for value or for the love of collecting. In this case either a collector really likes farm animals or they are buying for speculative value 

Now it doesn't necessarily have to be so black and white (thinking) either or,I buy for value and because I like the collection, for instance I bought a new mutants 26 because I like Legion,he is an omega level mutant and I think great things can  become of him,this first appearance really isnt that valuable,at least not now.

24 minutes ago, calamerica2 said:

The Comic Book hobby is showing signs of a slowdown, but like Sportscards, the KEY Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays Rookie cards will ALWAYS have their "sub-markets" that will be trading 100 years from now. 

That's a damn fine good first post!

Stick around!

I'm big on crossovers. FF 25,26,28. TTA 57,59. Strange Tales 107. Green Lantern 40, World's Finest 199. Most have great covers and appeal to multiple audiences. Someone might not collect Tales of Suspense but will want 49 because it is the first Men crossover, and others will want it for the Angel appearance.

Unlike many, I consider my comics as investments and factor many things into what I buy and sell. My buying days are mostly over unless I luck into incredible deals.

Just now, shadroch said:

I'm big on crossovers. FF 25,26,28. TTA 57,59. Strange Tales 107. Green Lantern 40, World's Finest 199. Most have great covers and appeal to multiple audiences. Someone might not collect Tales of Suspense but will want 49 because it is the first Men crossover, and others will want it for the Angel appearance.

Unlike many, I consider my comics as investments and factor many things into what I buy and sell. My buying days are mostly over unless I luck into incredible deals.

The old comics have great covers

I like some of the new covers too,like Stegman does some nice stuff same with Alex Ross.

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's a damn fine good first post!

Stick around!

I think he has been here since the beginning of the Board. Maybe his old account got messed up?

36 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think I'll stick yo the basics

Amazing spiderman, Wolverine ect ect.

This begs the question I've had heated discussions with people regarding weather they buy for value or for the love of collecting. In this case either a collector really likes farm animals or they are buying for speculative value 

Now it doesn't necessarily have to be so black and white (thinking) either or,I buy for value and because I like the collection, for instance I bought a new mutants 26 because I like Legion,he is an omega level mutant and I think great things can  become of him,this first appearance really isnt that valuable,at least not now.

A little bit of both for me. Last time I felt like I had a little bit of money I was chasing cheap 40s and 50s books, throwing out offers and such. Wound up with some Ducks and Warner books cheap, where I liked the covers, some interesting westerns, and a couple of slabs I spent money on (Showcase 23 and Cyclone 1, an obscure GA super hero book), also a bunch of Our Army at Wars (cuz I luv Kubert and Sgt. Rock) and some other war books. And some 1950s Archies. I figure for more available SA/BA/CA/MA stuff I hunt for those at shows and shops (of course, I have not been making it to shows), although I dropped about $300 on some folks here for $2-$3 books (seemed like a good idea at the time).  Are these ebay purchases (and some board) "hot" investment books? Probably not unless there is a Sgt. Rock movie. Was looking for value vs. what these books are selling for elsewhere. Sometimes its emotional, not so rational. I always hope to buy for at least what I can sell it for net of expenses. Of course, want to pay way less. Don't always succeed.

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

I think he has been here since the beginning of the Board. Maybe his old account got messed up?

A little bit of both for me. Last time I felt like I had a little bit of money I was chasing cheap 40s and 50s books, throwing out offers and such. Wound up with some Ducks and Warner books cheap, where I liked the covers, some interesting westerns, and a couple of slabs I spent money on (Showcase 23 and Cyclone 1, an obscure GA super hero book), also a bunch of Our Army at Wars (cuz I luv Kubert and Sgt. Rock) and some other war books. And some 1950s Archies. I figure for more available SA/BA/CA/MA stuff I hunt for those at shows and shops (of course, I have not been making it to shows), although I dropped about $300 on some folks here for $2-$3 books (seemed like a good idea at the time).  Are these ebay purchases (and some board) "hot" investment books? Probably not unless there is a Sgt. Rock movie. Was looking for value vs. what these books are selling for elsewhere. Sometimes its emotional, not so rational. I always hope to buy for at least what I can sell it for net of expenses. Of course, want to pay way less. Don't always succeed.

You win some,you lose some,but you never win if you dont play the game.

Yes my old account, with over 11,000 was HACKED.

I just got off the phone with D Anthony and explained the bulk of what happened.

I may or may not be able to retrieve the old account.

Not that important.

What IS important that everyone knows who this is and this is NOT a fake account.

CAL2

1 minute ago, calamerica2 said:

I just got off the phone with D Anthony and explained the bulk of what happened.

Not that important.

What IS important that everyone knows who this is and this is NOT a fake account.

CAL2

Oh man...11000 posts,what a bummer.

3 minutes ago, calamerica2 said:

Not that important.

CAL2

Welcome back to the boards.

Caltopia v 2.0

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh man...11000 posts,what a bummer.

And only 100 posts the last three/four years...ask the other Forumites!

CAL2 who has been gone for a long time, but is back occasionally

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Barks Ducks in 9.0 and above are climbing back up.