• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

There was a documentary on British TV about Scientology which mentioned that they teach the brief, intermittent staring that Cruise is doing here as a type of dominating technique.

Edited by Ken Aldred

59 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

There was a documentary on British TV about Scientology which mentioned that they teach the intermittent staring that Cruise is doing here as a type of dominating technique.

I think Louis Theroux is an extremely talented man. Not as good as Nick Broomfield but pretty darn good. Just saw his Scientology movie. 

Just now, NoMan said:

I think Louis Theroux is an extremely talented man. Not as good as Nick Broomfield but pretty darn good. Just saw his Scientology movie. 

That's the one I watched.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Ugh. If my wife saw that cover, I'd hear about it forever.

Just gotta scroll through fast, hope she didn't see it, and never return.

You know what what the word "Tonto" means as in "The Lone Ranger and Tonto?"  Did you know that every police officer involved shooting is the fault of the police officer and they shouldn't have shot the person? (Although the guy wearing body armor and running around with the streets with a shotgun here the other day, she seemed to think it was ok that the cops shot him. And he was black, which surprised me. (The she was ok with the cops shooting him) Did you know that if you are African American and you're poor, you're a good person? Did you know that if you are rich and are white you are a bad person? Did you know that O.J. was innocent?

I know all these things. Over and over and over and over.

I can't even watch McHale's Navy in peace cause there on some island with pygmie's or something and, I dunno, the pygmie's are getting their feelings hurt or something.

She's pretty swell 96% of the time. It's a marriage. What do ya do?

Come on man. Do you need to get this thread shut down?

Edited by the blob

15 minutes ago, zosocane said:
3 hours ago, calamerica2 said:

The Comic Book hobby is showing signs of a slowdown

Discuss.

I'll bite....

Slowing down from what to what?

I agree by the way compared to my last comic con...

But it feels like we were all going 150 in a 100 mile an hour zone... the last con definitely seemed as though it slacked off, but where is normal?

Did it pick up long enough for that to be the norm, or are we seeing a "slowdown" to something beyond repair lol

:ohnoez:

My guess is were still a little above the norm, but it does "seem" sluggish :foryou:

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'll bite....

Slowing down from what to what?

I agree by the way compared to my last comic con...

But it feels like we were all going 150 in a 100 mile an hour zone... the last con definitely seemed as though it slacked off, but where is normal?

Did it pick up long enough for that to be the norm, or are we seeing a "slowdown" to something beyond repair lol

:ohnoez:

My guess is were still a little above the norm, but it does "seem" sluggish :foryou:

Well done getting us back on topic.

CAL2 who has been gone for a long time

Not nearly long enough.

Yes my old account, with over 11,000 was HACKED.

I just got off the phone with D Anthony and explained the bulk of what happened.

Identity confirmed.

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh man...11000 posts,what a bummer.

11000 post of talking about himself as a seperate person and threatening to put people on a list will not be missed.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Not nearly long enough.

Identity confirmed.

I thought Cal was OK! Anybody that would buy that many IMSM 1s either as a practical joke or just to make a statement like, "I've got money to burn and I don't give a rat's behind as to what I do with it", is OK in my book! (worship)

Edited by James J Johnson

With the new variants going for over $100 graded, and some even more, when they came out my bubble already burst. I pretty much tapped out. Only some signatures of film stars (maybe) and my monthly reader pile that has been reduced to about 5 titles.

I don't have the kind of cash needed to go after my grails (at the moment), so my collection isn't getting bigger at the time.

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I thought Cal was OK! Anybody that would buy that many IMSM 1s either as a practical joke or just to make a statement like, "I've got money to burn and I don't give a rat's behind as to what I do with it", is OK in my book! (worship)

Thanx, James J Johnson! 

15 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You win some,you lose some,but you never win if you dont play the game.

Knowing your limits is always the best bet.

The problem with the bolded way of thinking is that 'playing the game' becomes a subconscious mental requirement even if you keep losing, and losing, and losing...

If you don't "play the game" then you have nothing to lose.

Buying comics as "investments" is mostly a losing bet. Switching playing styles won't change ineptitude and wrong gambles.

18 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Knowing your limits is always the best bet.

Yup.  Just reading a wide range of material digitally is far more satisfying for me than what would be the foolhardy stress of trying to compete for high-ticket keys with the much more affluent.

As was said, the good thing about the hobby is that you have several very different approaches to choose from, and, in that way at least, it’s much less restrictive than the pre-digital age.

Edited by Ken Aldred