• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Knowing your limits is always the best bet.

The problem with the bolded way of thinking is that 'playing the game' becomes a subconscious mental requirement even if you keep losing, and losing, and losing...

If you don't "play the game" then you have nothing to lose.

Buying comics as "investments" is mostly a losing bet. Switching playing styles won't change ineptitude and wrong gambles.

I agree.

For me personally I have a mixed approach. I buy comics that I think will increaseviver time.

Like Edge of the Spiderverse 002 and I dont mean an astronomical amount,like some progressive gains,plus I like spidergwen and Miles Morales, I also buy comics that I like ie New Mutants 26 or Asm 361

I try to buy moderns generally and in 9.8 grade. I rarely buy raw off of Ebay because I've had some poor descriptions.

So it's just doing something you love,and I enjoy it. I also enjoy coming on the site and chatting with other collectors.

I think some of the prices on modern variants and recently released comics are a little crazy,but hey, if I want it than I'll buy it.

I've passed on alot of stuff lately, and collecting comes in waves,but at the same time the collectors who are in it for the long haul, remain.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree.

For me personally I have a mixed approach. I buy comics that I think will increaseviver time.

Like Edge of the Spiderverse 002 and I dont mean an astronomical amount,like some progressive gains,plus I like spidergwen and Miles Morales, I also buy comics that I like ie New Mutants 26 or Asm 361

I try to buy moderns generally and in 9.8 grade. I rarely buy raw off of Ebay because I've had some poor descriptions.

So it's just doing something you love,and I enjoy it. I also enjoy coming on the site and chatting with other collectors.

I think some of the prices on modern variants and recently released comics are a little crazy,but hey, if I want it than I'll buy it.

I've passed on alot of stuff lately, and collecting comes in waves,but at the same time the collectors who are in it for the long haul, remain.

Why, though? You think they're going to age well and be worth something? What makes your 9.8 Modern any different from a raw? There's really no concern with restoration or validation. No concern with condition because of this ongoing age of comic collectibles.

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Why, though? You think they're going to age well and be worth something? What makes your 9.8 Modern any different from a raw? There's really no concern with restoration or validation. No concern with condition because of this ongoing age of comic collectibles.

Hmmm...you raise a good point.

I guess I'd just rather have a 9.8 than a 9.0

40 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree.

Didn't you just start collecting this year? And don't you own like 15 comics total? What would the long haul mean in that scenario, over a month? lol

speculating on random 9.8 moderns  :facepalm:

Buy what you  like! And buy em raw so you can look at them.  Identify a favorite artist or character or genre, anything!, and then focus your slab buying there if you gotta have slabs.  It'll stink if/when the day comes that every single random modern 9.8 slab in someone's collection can't fetch ten bucks on ebay, but thanks to the current FOMO around "key" hunting and hoarding that is exactly what is likely to happen.  

Edited by speedcake

14 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:
56 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree.

Didn't you just start collecting this year? And don't you own like 15 comics total? What would the long haul mean in that scenario, over a month? lol

This guy is talking just to hear his own voice.

both.jpg.14e2a94e0b0aff4bdae3e4321393eb9d.jpg

23 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I'm referring to people on this site.

It's nice to collect information on how they approach collecting. I'm new,I'm fresh and I dont want to be taken advantage of so I'm open to suggestions and I appreciate the feedback

As for the original question asked in this forum. I Don't think anything bad is happening to the hobby, I got back into it a few years ago and have a great story and had my love and passion re-ignited from when I was a little kid in the early 90's. I got some books to read but couldn't afford very many cool issues I saved up and got my hands on an ASM 2 wanted a ASM1 but not way I could afford it and Marvel Spotlight 5 back then I didn't know the true value (no internet) and had the books with me at school I was half way done reading marvel spotlight 5 and I think I finished ASM 2, but I put my back pack down after school and went to play this "trendy milk bottle cap" game called POG not sure if that was in the USA, but it was popular here in Canada when I went back the books were stolen. a Very sad day for me I still collected and read comics back in the 90's but with a limited and small allowance couldn't really afford much I bought traded and sold most of my comics as I read them didn't think much of keeping them or that they would be worth much (was kind of right being 90's stuff) lol but years later I find my old collection and thought about that time I lost my few rare books and thought I never got to finish the story as I couldn't afford to and didn't want to save back up to get one of those books again (years ago), now with a bit of more income, here I am several years later back into the hobby trying to finish my ASM run and picking up a few of the old books I had. 

So if I have a story like this that brought me back into the hobby I am sure there are many others that might come back etc.. for the love, nostalgia, passion, stories, etc... 

I think we have many years of enjoying the hobby ahead of us, reading, collecting, buying and selling, etc.. 

I should probably start an X-Men Run since I had a few of those but traded them all away when I was a kid :(lol 

Image of POG's Image result for POGs

Edited by Krishosein
added an image of POG's

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:
25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I can't wait until one of the people who ignored me get me for Secret Santa this year (or any future year)...

We have Secret Santa??!?!?!?!?!!?

Oh ya! Every year :) plus grading contests, if one ever appears I'll let you know :foryou: It's just finding what people would like for prizes or with Secret Santa there is a wishlist submitted

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh ya! Every year :) plus grading contests, if one ever appears I'll let you know :foryou: It's just finding what people would like for prizes or with Secret Santa there is a wishlist submitted

image.thumb.png.74217b41232cdec93ad50da07e59e076.png

4 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

We have Secret Santa??!?!?!?!?!!?

Yes, and there's a secret group chat of people that make fun of boardies. Someone in that group probably told everyone to ignore me. So, it'll be hilarious when one of them has to gift me. :)

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Yes, and there's a secret group chat of people that make fun of boardies. Someone in that group probably told everyone to ignore me. So, it'll be hilarious when one of them has to gift me. :)

Not very secret if you know about it.