• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to the hobby?
2 2

411 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I dont know why people feel the need to hurt other people TwoPiece...to me you are a valued member of this boardroom,and I look forward to your opinion and what you have to say.

I think we should all try to stick together. Comic collectors Unite...maybe that was a bit much.

Just because there is a disagreement doesn't mean people should write each other off. I kind agree with Get Marwood & I

I fell into a group of Flying Saucer research people not by my own doing. It's a long story about the 50th anniversary of whaterever-the-F-happend in Roswell, NM in the 50s. It was a carnival/anniversary celebration in the late 90s and it was stupid as f. I went with a magazine writer from SF and pretty much stayed blitzed the whole time. It's the only way I could cope with these people. I actually physically vomited once around them when we went out to the NM desert to see where the UFO landed or what-the-f ever. Anyways, I remeber them always b-ing about if they can just stay untied in the UFO community and not in-fight that the truth of the UFOs would come to light. I was like, no, it won't. 

Edited by NoMan

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

TwoPiece,

I appreciate you giving me advice.

Now I'm going to give you some.

It's okay to admit your wrong,even when you are right.

You got in an argument with people who have over 30,000 posts. They have credibility.

You are accepted.

I dont think I've spammed,but yes I am trying to get my post count up,to show I am invested in social interaction

And I went from 600 to 900 in three days,not one month.

What are you smoking?

When have I been "wrong"?

When did I "get in an argument with someone who has over 30,000 posts"? How do you quantify their "credibility"?

At bare minimum literally 50% of your posts are spam.

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

TwoPiece,

I appreciate you giving me advice.

Now I'm going to give you some.

It's okay to admit your wrong,even when you are right.

You got in an argument with people who have over 30,000 posts. They have credibility.

You are accepted.

I dont think I've spammed,but yes I am trying to get my post count up,to show I am invested in social interaction

And I went from 600 to 900 in three days,not one month.

I think this is the strangest post I've ever seen. ???

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I fell into a group of Flying Saucer research people not by my own doing. It's a long story about the 50th anniversary of whaterever-the-F-happend in Roswell, NM in the 50s. It was a carnival/anniversary celebration in the late 90s and it was stupid as f. I went with a magazine writer from SF and pretty much stayed blitzed the whole time. It's the only way I could cope with these people. Anyways, I remeber them always b-ing about if they can just stay untied and not in-fight that the truth of the UFOs would come to light. I was like, no, it won't. 

I would really like to know if there is UFOs,like I mean what is out there?

When I'm walking by someone downtown and they are looking up to the sky shouting obscenities I wonder if they have an internal mobile device in their head and they are communicating with extra terrestrials

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What are you smoking?

When have I been "wrong"?

When did I "get in an argument with someone who has over 30,000 posts"? How do you quantify their "credibility"?

At bare minimum literally 50% of your posts are spam.

I'm not really trying to spam.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I would really like to know if there is UFOs,like I mean what is out there?

I honestly don't know what to make of you. Seems several folk here don't seem to care for you or your posts. I don't care it's just a silly/fun comic book board. I really don't. I try to assume good intent. You might like the UFO research community. If you do, well, that would reveal (a lot) to me. They are crazy and not in a fun way. They are a fairly irritating bunch. 

To answer the original question - what is happening to the hobby? I think it is growing, having occasional growing pains, sometimes maybe shrinking a little, then growing again.

It seems like I've heard stories of how the hobby is dying since at least the 1980's, but I don't think it really is dying. Sure we may lose a few collectors, but we gain some too.

Think of how many people quit the hobby pre-internet, before they knew that there were many others just like them. Sometimes when (in the old days) they felt alone they would just quit comics, but now all you have to do to find like minded people is just click away on your internet device...ahh...back home with my online friends again.... None of my close friends collect, but it doesn't matter to me, because I know how cool and enjoyable this hobby is. So for me it will always be a living hobby.

Just now, NoMan said:

I honestly don't know what to make of you. Seems several folk here don't seem to care for you or your posts. I don't care it's just a silly/fun comic book board. I really don't. I try to assume good intent. You might like the UFO research community. If you do, well, that would reveal (a lot) to me. They are crazy and not in a fun way. They are a fairly irritating bunch. 

I kind of agree with you.

And to be honest, I could give two f... what people think of me, it's their choice weather to respond.

I'm interest in astronomy but not so far as I would join a chat group about it. Seems kindve one dimensional. I thought these boards were the same way,but than I found the water cooler and realized there is numerous topics of conversation

4 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Post count ≠ Credibility

Well,when I first started posting here,people came at me aggressively,and I understand that I can be abrasive,annoying,obnoxious, but I can be the exact opposite too. I figured if I upped my posts and was transparent in my profile than people would trust me more.

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well,when I first started posting here,people came at me aggressively,and I understand that I can be abrasive,annoying,obnoxious, but I can be the exact opposite too. I figured if I upped my posts and was transparent in my profile than people would trust me more.

tenor.gif

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I would've thought you'd be contributing to the clandestine, Mason-like Brit boardie thread by now, and have visited the brotherhood's secret sanctum 'somewhere' in darkest Hertfordshire?

Two hopes of that happening Ken, and Bob's the other one :sorry:

10 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Post count ≠ Credibility

have to 100% agree with this! credibility is knowing what your talking about having good discussions about things and being knowledgeable about what your talking about and people recognizing your contributions or discussions and debating it productively back.