What is happening to the hobby?
4 4

411 posts in this topic

5,287 posts
47 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

When you say consumer fatigue,do you think we will grow weary of the superhero genre?

I tend to see your point,but I like how some franchises have gone intergalactic.

If you're talking about movies/TV shows - they have not done this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,428 posts
2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

If you're talking about movies/TV shows - they have not done this.

Sorry,I was at the water cooler. What were you saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,287 posts
5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sorry,I was at the water cooler. What were you saying?

You literally quoted what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,428 posts
1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

You literally quoted what I said.

Are you saying MCU have not all but moved to intergalactic stuff(sorry,couldn't come up with a better word)?

Even Venom was intergalactic,when you incorporate any type of Alien species it becomes intergalactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,287 posts
Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Are you saying MCU have not all but moved to intergalactic stuff(sorry,couldn't come up with a better word)?

Even Venom was intergalactic,when you incorporate any type of Alien species it becomes intergalactic.

No. Look up the definition of "intergalactic". The MCU, and Venom, both occur within a fictional version of the Milky Way.

Neither have gone intergalactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,428 posts
1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

No. Look up the definition of "intergalactic". The MCU, and Venom, both occur within a fictional version of the Milky Way.

Neither have gone intergalactic.

Hmmmm....good point.

Okay most MCU films have gone spacey,would you agree with me there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,287 posts
3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hmmmm....good point.

Okay most MCU films have gone spacey,would you agree with me there?

Kevin Spacey hasn't made an appearance in the MCU (yet).

Superman Returns is a DC movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,428 posts
1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Kevin Spacey hasn't made an appearance in the MCU (yet).

Superman Returns is a DC movie.

Right...Not sure many companies want to take a chance on going Spacey right now anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,287 posts
2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Right...Not sure many companies want to take a chance on going Spacey right now anyways.

Neither here nor there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
177 posts
21 hours ago, the blob said:

What was going on in 2015/16 to be 10% more than now? Did the Star Wars comics come out then?

 

Yes, 2015 for Star Wars #1 (and all those myriad variant covers!). Pretty sharp observation. Not sure if that was the sole driving force for the uptick, but it probably contributed greatly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229 posts
3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

At this point almost all of the Golden Age books should be lumped into the key category since they are just red hot.  There is still some subsets like most funny books and I think westerns but at this point even those books are probably taking off.  But for all the lowly Silver-Age to modern collectors there is a plethora of books out there right now and putting together nice no key runs seems to have never been easier.

Question here is, does value determine if a book is a key? Golden are books are expensive and hard to find, but I still wouldn't consider them a key as most aren't of much historical significance.

I gotta say though, yes, SA (keys and all) runs are getting pretty easy and cheep to put together. Especially DC, with the MCU and Marvel taking almost all the market, most folks seem to have forgotten about DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
597 posts
2 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Question here is, does value determine if a book is a key? Golden are books are expensive and hard to find, but I still wouldn't consider them a key as most aren't of much historical significance.

I gotta say though, yes, SA (keys and all) runs are getting pretty easy and cheep to put together. Especially DC, with the MCU and Marvel taking almost all the market, most folks seem to have forgotten about DC.

Value should not have any determination on if a book is a key.  Key should only mean something of importance happened in regards to that book, 1st appearance, 1st time an artist started working on said book, death of certain character, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,259 posts
20 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Question here is, does value determine if a book is a key? Golden are books are expensive and hard to find, but I still wouldn't consider them a key as most aren't of much historical significance.

I gotta say though, yes, SA (keys and all) runs are getting pretty easy and cheep to put together. Especially DC, with the MCU and Marvel taking almost all the market, most folks seem to have forgotten about DC.

100% agree.  Not all Golden Age should be called key books but I was lumping all the Golden Age books into my previous statement when I said books are cheap except for keys.  If I wasn't lazy I would have just gone back and originally said keys and Golden Age books should be avoided and you will have no problem collecting a ton of great books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,549 posts
20 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

And whose to say those books will never get hot?

Thanks! That's some pretty awesome research.

Too be honest,there needs to be a Valhalla for certain people who post on this site,people who go above and beyond what is the call of duty in this hobby. I can name several,but you are one of them.

No effort on my part.  just looked at a couple of pages of recent silver age sales and cherry picked a few books that fit 1cool's $30 a week criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,549 posts
1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

100% agree.  Not all Golden Age should be called key books but I was lumping all the Golden Age books into my previous statement when I said books are cheap except for keys.  If I wasn't lazy I would have just gone back and originally said keys and Golden Age books should be avoided and you will have no problem collecting a ton of great books.

Still some cool western that is affordable, war... A lot of stuff outside super heroes, horror, Baker romance, sci do... Cheap barks ducks..  Those have not done jack for 25 years, maybe it's time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,549 posts
1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

Value should not have any determination on if a book is a key.  Key should only mean something of importance happened in regards to that book, 1st appearance, 1st time an artist started working on said book, death of certain character, etc.

Nitpicking. : )  think 1cool meant more "hot"... Like seemingly any precode horror, anything Matt Baker might have looked at, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,968 posts
17 minutes ago, the blob said:

Still some cool western that is affordable, war... A lot of stuff outside super heroes, horror, Baker romance, sci do... Cheap barks ducks..  Those have not done jack for 25 years, maybe it's time?

Gold war is rapidly picking up heat, unfortunately. Some eye-popping recent results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,349 posts
6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

They have done really well.

There’s still the risk of consumer fatigue developing in the longer term, which might have a significantly-negative effect and signal a drift away to other film genres; though I hope not.

zzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,549 posts
16 minutes ago, october said:

Gold war is rapidly picking up heat, unfortunately. Some eye-popping recent results. 

Yes, the nice covers do well. I'm thinking more atomic age stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,954 posts
On 5/19/2019 at 8:03 PM, FineCollector said:

Collectors being replaced by whores!

Who will replace the whores?:jaws:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
4 4