• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman 72
1 1

10 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I don't see it. Can you post a close up? Maybe its just because I'm on my phone.

If it's the light discoloration on the reading edge it would just be considered soiling or discoloration. It may even be a dust shadow? Depending on severity it may bring the book down half a point to a full point? Though to say from my phone.

Yeah I am just looking for some idea here. Whats the different between a dust shadow and a tan line.
Most of the time I see the tan line on a back cover this one is odd its on the front.

I don't think you will be able to see on a cell phone even if I increase, but all try.

Well the pic is the max size I will try a cell phone pic tomorrow along the edge.

Edited by fastballspecial

A tan line is when a comic stays out at the beach too long. :roflmao:I'm no too clear on some of these either. Here's how I understand these defects(without the benefit of the grading guide in hand)

Tanning: yellowing ageing of the paper.

Dust shadow: exposed area of the comic when stored in uneven piles. Like in a garage say over years. The exsposed area collects dust and dirt, this can leave the paper darker in a straight line. There are some great examples in the grading guide.

I'll take a closer look at that photo tonight on my PC. Whatever it is it must be very slight, probably won't affect the grade too much.

Okay makes sense.

Its on the right side of the front cover about an inch in all the way down the cover. You 
should be able to see the difference from the left side which is whiter to the right side
which is darker.

The dustshadow makes sense because the line is almost perfectly straight down the side
of the book on the right side.

Yes, I believe it is a light dust shadow (Or 'oxidation shadow' as its referred to in the grading guide). I see what you mean now. I believe it would grade at a 7.0-7.5. Here's an extreme example from the Grading Guide.

Oxidation shadow.jpg