• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow. I can’t believe this happened today.
2 2

48 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Okay, first, I wasn’t sure where to post this, gold, silver or bronze because it kinda covers all sections of the boards.  I’d like to share with as many people as possible because I thinks it’s pretty amazing.  So, if you have a pal that doesn’t really visit CG that much, tell them to take a look at this thread.  Id like to hear what people think.  

There isn’t really a huge backstory to this acquisition other than I’ve wanted it for years. Several years ago, a friend of mine purchased a collection from the brother of a collector who passed away.  I went to his house to look through what he had bought and I was delighted to find a program booklet from Marvel-Con ‘76.  I love things like this, buttons, promos, random ephemera.  My friend said he didn’t want to sell it.  I found out why.  There were autographs that Jerry (the collector) gathered at the convention.  I wasn’t prepared for what was on the last page of the booklet.  I’ve thought about this booklet for years.  Today, my friend decided to let it go.  I think it’s awesome......what say you!? 

BE3DBB83-968B-496E-B0CF-D4C24CF1DAA1.jpeg

924A0ECA-9BB9-411F-907E-1E12BD5055D6.jpeg

B86210A7-BD8B-4B95-A90E-FE3C08CD1F1B.jpeg

944668F6-6C2E-4398-B613-FED77389B8B5.jpeg

That is awesome! 

Bob Kane signing a Marvel program to boot! 

@DocHoppus182you are a ^^

1 hour ago, SlugBug said:

No clues inside the program?

And what was Bob Kane doing at a Marvel Con?

I’m really not sure.  My only guess would be that he was so well known that the powers that be at Marvel probably said why not?

55 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

as there are plenty of questionable Kane sigs/sketches out there its nice to come into possession of one with a good strong provenance!

Definitely!  I’m no expert but it looks pretty legitimate to me.  Also, why would a forger put one in a marvel con program?  It wouldn’t make any sense.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Forgot something.

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

Maybe he did more convention sketches than published art. One can't use a ghost artist at a show. I regret not paying more attention to artists at those mid 70s shows.

lol and "ouch" at the same time. 

19 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Okay, first, I wasn’t sure where to post this, gold, silver or bronze because it kinda covers all sections of the boards.  I’d like to share with as many people as possible because I thinks it’s pretty amazing.  So, if you have a pal that doesn’t really visit CG that much, tell them to take a look at this thread.  Id like to hear what people think.  

There isn’t really a huge backstory to this acquisition other than I’ve wanted it for years. Several years ago, a friend of mine purchased a collection from the brother of a collector who passed away.  I went to his house to look through what he had bought and I was delighted to find a program booklet from Marvel-Con ‘76.  I love things like this, buttons, promos, random ephemera.  My friend said he didn’t want to sell it.  I found out why.  There were autographs that Jerry (the collector) gathered at the convention.  I wasn’t prepared for what was on the last page of the booklet.  I’ve thought about this booklet for years.  Today, my friend decided to let it go.  I think it’s awesome......what say you!? 

BE3DBB83-968B-496E-B0CF-D4C24CF1DAA1.jpeg

924A0ECA-9BB9-411F-907E-1E12BD5055D6.jpeg

B86210A7-BD8B-4B95-A90E-FE3C08CD1F1B.jpeg

944668F6-6C2E-4398-B613-FED77389B8B5.jpeg

Great find! :golfclap: So far we have Dave Cockrum, Roy Thomas and "Big" John Buscema. who's the other creator? It looks like Lipser? (shrug)

2 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Great find! :golfclap: So far we have Dave Cockrum, Roy Thomas and "Big" John Buscema. who's the other creator? It looks like Lipser? (shrug)

I can’t figure it out.  I’ve been searching anything I can find on the convention but haven’t turned anything up that would help.

35 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:
3 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

I can’t figure it out.  I’ve been searching anything I can find on the convention but haven’t turned anything up that would help.

Until there's a better answer, the placeholder should be "Uri Geller". :foryou:

34 minutes ago, valiantman said:

First name dips to I was thinking Clyde! Was Walt Frazier at the show?

1 minute ago, Bird said:
36 minutes ago, valiantman said:

First name dips to I was thinking Clyde! Was Walt Frazier at the show?

Good point!  That could be "Windsor" and we all know that Barry Windsor-Smith signs his name completely differently based upon the humidity, pollen count, and breakfast cereal options available at the hotel that day.

"Uri Geller" is a good guess but "Windsor" (BWS) is better. :foryou:

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:
5 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Anybody have a Chic Stone signature?

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

Do you think he only did one sketch that weekend? It's a nice find, one I would love to own, but it's not unique.

I have several copies of that program.Time to look through them.

I was thinking along the lines of not only the sketch, but the combination of signatures as well. If there's another one, I'd like to see it.

22 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:
22 hours ago, shadroch said:

Do you think he only did one sketch that weekend? It's a nice find, one I would love to own, but it's not unique.

True.  He probably did that little head sketch a million times.  

Based upon all of the notorious stories about Kane, he probably got one of his many ghost artists to come up with the original version of this head sketch.  (tsk)

He then probably spent countless nights tracing it back and forth so that he could draw it from memory for his paid (no doubt) appearances.  :p