• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lake Como Comic Art Festival 2019
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Last year I posted on this forum the infos about this wonderful convention that was being held in Como, in a wonderful villa by the lake; this year I forgot to post anything as I was extremely busy with family affairs, but I am pretty sure many of you were there as the attendees were from all over the world.

Together with Mignola, Charest, Sienk, Cho, Kelley Jones, Adams, Hughes, Ramos, Mack, Serpieri, Loisel, Don Rosa, McKean and many many others, who was (and probably still is) there enjoying the art, the food, the views and the () wheater?

Luca

You can find quite a few pics (Mignola, Kelly Jones, Frank Cho, Arthur Adams, etc.) in this German thread starting with post #513 (click on the links).

https://www.comicforum.de/showthread.php?143034-Original-Comic-Seiten-wer-sammelt&p=5532709&viewfull=1#post5532709 

Examples:

img_3128trk97.jpg

img_3117i9j3x.jpg

I didn't attend, but it sounds like it was great. They had immediate access to the artists.

Edited by Pickie

It is an incredibile experience - full stop.

Despite the "high" price to get inside (around 150USD for a day, 250USD for two days and 500USD if you want to join the gala dinner on Friday), if you are an art lover and don't want to mess around with cosplayers or signature/sketch hunters, this con is the con for you.

Villa Erba on Lake Como is a wonderful place and the situation is really calm and cosy. You have TIME to talk with the artists and to get a commission (if you haven't preordered anything before) and you have TIME to see them draw and have fun with fellow artists. Mignola, Hughes, Charest, KJones, Cho, Sienk, Guarnido etc.etc. all in the same room at the same time.

Took me 3 minutes to talk to Mignola, 5 minutes to pick up my commission from KJones (and we spoke for at least 20 minutes), 30 seconds to see Sienk drawing and 0 to 1 second to talk to Gary Frank. Everybody doodled for free and sketches on books were often given for free as well. Signatures? Free too (I saw some people with 20 books).

Prices for art were high, though.

Not many many dealers from overseas (in 2018 we had Albert Moy), but a lot of collectors to network with.

Reaching Como might not be easy, but it is worth the trip.

Luca

PS: on Sunday a German collector arrived at Sienk's table and opened his bag: he had the last page from Love and War! Sienk was shocked and he started to jump, then Guarnido  ran fast towards his table and he started to jump together with Bill... They were shocked that the page had resurfaced from the middle of the heart. A crazy experience well worth to be seen (and I wasn't there, sigh sob)

That for the information! You say the prices were high, does that include sketches/commissions? I would use this as an opportunity to get those difficult to acquire Frank Cho and Adam Hughes type art.

8 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

That for the information! You say the prices were high, does that include sketches/commissions? I would use this as an opportunity to get those difficult to acquire Frank Cho and Adam Hughes type art.

Nope, the price includes entrance. All the rest depends on the artists.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, ignimbrite said:

I wasn't clear. Are the sketches/commissions reasonable priced? For example I know Adam Hughes brought some commission type pieces with him. Were they of a reasonable price?

Adam's commissions were prebooked,  his prices were:

5.5 x 8.5 inch (bust)  $1000

9 x 12 inch (3/4 figure) $2000

12 x 18 inch $4000

This event was much better than last year. Good fans’ attendance, and yet no big crowds.  So there was time to peruse the few dealers’ tables at leisure, without being pressured by the next guy in line.

I am not into chatting with artists, but I could see there was good access.

I don’t have pictures of dealers’ tables, but these two twice-up pieces were the best of the show, IMHO. Both from Bechara.

Great show, I will definitely go again next year.

4101DD5F-B662-41F8-A440-47AA813BE636.jpeg

4DDDC45D-2D33-43A8-82F9-084C6FD7E71F.jpeg

13 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Adam's commissions were prebooked,  his prices were:

5.5 x 8.5 inch (bust)  $1000

9 x 12 inch (3/4 figure) $2000

12 x 18 inch $4000

Did ALL the artists draw at the show?  Some artists (like myself) don't especially like to draw outside of their studio.  Did Adam Hughes just bring the prebooked commissions, or did he and other artists all draw at the show?  

On 6/7/2019 at 10:09 PM, Carlo M said:

This event was much better than last year. Good fans’ attendance, and yet no big crowds.  So there was time to peruse the few dealers’ tables at leisure, without being pressured by the next guy in line.

I am not into chatting with artists, but I could see there was good access.

I don’t have pictures of dealers’ tables, but these two twice-up pieces were the best of the show, IMHO. Both from Bechara.

Great show, I will definitely go again next year.

4101DD5F-B662-41F8-A440-47AA813BE636.jpeg

:whatthe:  How much did he have on this piece?