• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Jim Lee story
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I never heard that story. That's one of my favorite Jim Lee Batman covers. I remember getting the first issue and thinking it was an ok cover and then seeing that variant and thinking that's the cover they should have used in the first place. I don't know how someone could be disappointed with it. I wish I could get a quality Jim Lee cover for that price. A bet the original commissioner is really kicking himself since the Superman cover mirrors the Batman cover.

It's an amazing piece, but I don't think the original commissioner is kicking themselves.  If they'd have kept it, it never would have been used as a cover and therefore would never have become the known image it is today.  Catch 22

On 5/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, Thawk said:

It's an amazing piece, but I don't think the original commissioner is kicking themselves.  If they'd have kept it, it never would have been used as a cover and therefore would never have become the known image it is today.  Catch 22

That's not necessarily true though. I've seen some artists submit commissions that they've done to be published covers (and it looks like that's what happened here). Jim does say another buyer was found. 

3 hours ago, T Shen said:

That's not necessarily true though. I've seen some artists submit commissions that they've done to be published covers (and it looks like that's what happened here). Jim does say another buyer was found. 

Agreed. I'd say that there's an excellent chance that Jim keeps high resolution scans. That's all that's needed for publication.