• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn 300

36 posts in this topic

Could there have been a more predictable cover? And you're just going to re-use art from issue 227?  I would be fine with this as a variant, but it is boring as the main cover. I'm sure there will be a lot of spec buys but I'll be passing on this issue. 

spawn300-parody-mcfarlane-cover-1171719.jpeg

For reference. Looks like he went for less detail on 300. Honestly I wasn’t all that jazzed about the covers for issue 250. Kinda sucks cause I like Sean Murphy’s work, but I thought his cover for 250 kind of lacked. Looks like 300 gonna be more of the same. 

E3610B4D-CF7B-4A17-81B0-BB6F64AB9D40.jpeg

11 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Could there have been a more predictable cover? And you're just going to re-use art from issue 227?  I would be fine with this as a variant, but it is boring as the main cover. I'm sure there will be a lot of spec buys but I'll be passing on this issue. 

spawn300-parody-mcfarlane-cover-1171719.jpeg

$7.99 cover? Hope there aren't a thousand variants. Anybody know how many pages the issue is? 

Someone who watched the actual full Instagram video said that this is only a variant cover and they would be releasing the full cover later on? Can anyone confirm/ I love Todd but I can't sit through 30 minutes of hearing him talk about how historic this issue is. 

48 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Someone who watched the actual full Instagram video said that this is only a variant cover and they would be releasing the full cover later on? Can anyone confirm/ I love Todd but I can't sit through 30 minutes of hearing him talk about how historic this issue is. 

Anybody who is doing interiors can do a cover variant(s). Right now it's just the 5 artists mentioned. He said he doesn't want 60 variants.

6 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

How many other non-Big Two books have hit 300 issues? Cerebus, Four Color, any others?

According to McFarlane, this is only the second independent title to hit 300. 301 will then surpass Cerebus and then be the first to hit 301. 

Sorry, I quoted Todd incorrectly. He has said that 301 will be the "longest running, creator-owned comic book" as @ygogolak mentioned. 

Edited by SBRobin

Just now, SBRobin said:

According to McFarlane, this is only the second independent title to hit 300. 301 will then surpass Cerebus and then be the first to hit 301. 

Well, he's definitely wrong in that Four Color had about 1300 issues. Are there any others? 

Duh. Archie books.:facepalm: to myself.

27 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
28 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Well, he's definitely wrong in that Four Color had about 1300 issues. Are there any others? 

Mad Magazine, March of Comics, Walt Disney's Comics & Stories

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Second creator owned is what he said.

Two things:

1.  A potential J. Scott Campbell Spawn cover...interesting (it's always hit or miss when he draws a non-female)

2.  Anybody want to make a bet about the 301 cover (he wouldn't dare...would he?)

3.  I like the idea of cover art only from artists who work on the book

4.  There's gonna be a super rare variant...it's a milestone Spawn book...there's gonna be a super rare variant

***Definitely picking up a copy

6 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Two things:

1.  A potential J. Scott Campbell Spawn cover...interesting (it's always hit or miss when he draws a non-female)

2.  Anybody want to make a bet about the 301 cover (he wouldn't dare...would he?)

3.  I like the idea of cover art only from artists who work on the book

4.  There's gonna be a super rare variant...it's a milestone Spawn book...there's gonna be a super rare variant

***Definitely picking up a copy

Image for 301 was already released. And yes, he did.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Image for 301 was already released. And yes, he did.

I can't wait until Spawn 306 when we get an #inception homage of an homage. 

You have some really awesome covers leading up to this, like 292 and 295, and then we get 4 homage covers in a row? There's something ironic about a creator proclaiming how great it is to be independent and then pulling 4 covers in three months from Marvel. 5 if you include his February Infinity Gauntlet homage on Spawn Kills Everyone Too.

10 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

I can't wait until Spawn 306 when we get an #inception homage of an homage. 

You have some really awesome covers leading up to this, like 292 and 295, and then we get 4 homage covers in a row? There's something ironic about a creator proclaiming how great it is to be independent and then pulling 4 covers in three months from Marvel. 5 if you include his February Infinity Gauntlet homage on Spawn Kills Everyone Too.

I haven't seen anyone say that maybe this is a FU to Marvel. Especially considering they did a "remastered" variant of his work recently.