• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who owns the most perfect Action Comics #1?
4 4

205 posts in this topic

I thought "The Dentist" had the best copy, but I wanted to make sure. I've heard of him over the years, and I have heard all the talk about him supposedly having the nicest copy of Action #1 of all of them. However, a red flag has popped up in my mind over this and has been nagging me. If he does have the nicest copy of the most valuable book in Comicdom, why hasn't it been inspected, graded, and slabbed by CGC? Why has he not allowed so much as a photo taken of it? If *I* had the holy grail of comics, you'd better believe I'd be showcasing it occasionally at, say, the major ComicCons for everyone to drool over while I stood in the background and watched the adulation like a proud papa. So why all the secrecy? People display super-valuable things all the time, so security shouldn't be an issue. The only logical reason I can possibly think of is that maybe it's "merely" a tie for that 9.0 copy that sold for $3 million - or that it's, say, an 8.5 (what a travesty) and would NOT make it the top Action #1 copy out there. So he keeps it under wraps to keep the legend alive.

I dunno - most people with other mega-collectibles, like a Monet painting or an 1804 Morgan dollar, display them. There are at least photos of them for people to view and critique. For this Action #1 - nothing. For all we know, his dog accidentally chewed it to pieces years ago, and everyone thinks he still has it. Maybe what I'm saying is blasphemy against the Holy Grail (have mercy), but someone else must surely be thinking the same thing.

Edited by Getoutandstayout

18 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I thought "The Dentist" had the best copy, but I wanted to make sure. I've heard of him over the years, and I have heard all the talk about him supposedly having the nicest copy of Action #1 of all of them. However, a red flag has popped up in my mind over this and has been nagging me. If he does have the nicest copy of the most valuable book in Comicdom, why hasn't it been inspected, graded, and slabbed by CGC? Why has he not allowed so much as a photo taken of it? If *I* had the holy grail of comics, you'd better believe I'd be showcasing it occasionally at, say, the major ComicCons for everyone to drool over while I stood in the background and watched the adulation like a proud papa. So why all the secrecy? People display super-valuable things all the time, so security shouldn't be an issue. The only logical reason I can possibly think of is that maybe it's "merely" a tie for that 9.0 copy that sold for $3 million - or that it's, say, an 8.5 (what a travesty) and would NOT make it the top Action #1 copy out there. So he keeps it under wraps to keep the legend alive.

I dunno - most people with other mega-collectibles, like a Monet painting or an 1804 Morgan dollar, display them. There are at least photos of them for people to view and critique. For this Action #1 - nothing. For all we know, his dog accidentally chewed it to pieces years ago, and everyone thinks he still has it. Maybe what I'm saying is blasphemy against the Holy Grail (have mercy), but someone else must surely be thinking the same thing.

The book has been confirmed by the top graders in this hobby to be at least a 9.2, and probably a 9.4 (nm)  

snyder confirmed it is untouched (no resto from chuck to Dave)

dave is obviously not interested in promoting or showing off the book. It’s the mile high/church copy. He doesn’t need Cgc to inspect it or grade it or slab it (I’ve often wondered if it is ina fortress?). Dave is more than qualified to “inspect” it, grade it etc 

My understanding is chuck has pic(s) and  had shown, in the past. 

I could be wrong on all counts of course, as I’m not privy to anything other than what I’ve heard or been told 

Edited by G.A.tor

17 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

It's his book. He can do what he wants with it. 

37 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I'm not a numismatist nor am I American but I don't think that there's such an animal as an 1804 Morgan dollar...

11 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Very nice #25 and still in the old label. Thanks Frank, for confirming the $21k figure over my $25k post. Either way, that was a lot of money in the 1980s. 

The Action Comics #25 used to be mine, I bought it from Gary Carter in 1991. In fact, most of the Action Mile Highs that have sold in Heritage or other sites were owned by me. I had 31 of them ranging from #25-102. 

1 hour ago, Getoutandstayout said:

If he does have the nicest copy of the most valuable book in Comicdom, why hasn't it been inspected, graded, and slabbed by CGC? Why has he not allowed so much as a photo taken of it? If *I* had the holy grail of comics, you'd better believe I'd be showcasing it occasionally at, say, the major ComicCons for everyone to drool over while I stood in the background and watched the adulation like a proud papa. So why all the secrecy?

Why in the world would you bothered to get a book graded and slabbed if you don't plan on selling it yet.

As for your second question, it's really more a case of "to each, their own".  If I had the Church Action 1 (wishful thinking :bigsmile:), I certainly would have absolutely zero interest in displaying it.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, newshane said:

It's his book. He can do what he wants with it. 

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I'm not a numismatist nor am I American but I don't think that there's such an animal as an 1804 Morgan dollar...

Yep, you're correct - my bad. At least I had the date right.

I understand if he doesn't want to display the most famous Action #1. But what's the deal with no photographs? At all? Have any of these top graders ever asked him why he's refused a single photograph?

Edited by Getoutandstayout

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

If his phone number or I should say his ( Lan Line ) from 1982 is still active I could call him :whee:it only been 37 years he should remember me after all I got this pic from how he found me just don't remember what book I sold him hm

Instead of searching for a phone number from way back in 1982, wouldn't it be a lot simpler to call him at his listed number.  

Especially since he has a full page ad every year in the Overstreet guide with all of his contact information right there.  :gossip:

Looks like his number still hasn't changed after all these years since the last time I talked to him.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Some thoughts, even thought I think the whole line of questioning is 

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why in the world would you bothered to get a book graded and slabbed if you don't plan on selling it yet.

As for your second question, it's really more a case of "to each, their own".  If I had the Church Action 1 (wishful thinking :bigsmile:), I certainly would have absolutely zero interest in displaying it.  (thumbsu

He didn't make the many (many!) savvy purchases he's made over the years by being a big dummy. Transporting books like the Church Actions to get graded carries significant risk. Realistically even taking it out to photograph it would carry significant risk. And why? To show off? If he is concerned that other people know he has the best copies of all the best books- mission accomplished lol 

Also, keep in mind he would have been at the top of the usual suspects list when all of these other copies of Action #1 originally surfaced. He would have had the opportunity to upgrade if there were a better copy presented (see- the Allentown Detective #27) 

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Instead of searching for a phone number from way back in 1982, wouldn't it be a lot simpler to call him at his listed number.  

Especially since he has a full page ad every year in the Overstreet guide with all of his contact information right there.  :gossip:

Looks like his number still hasn't changed after all these years since the last time I talked to him.  (thumbsu

I know this (thumbsu Thank you.

I have no interest in talking to him, We where both comic book collectors starting out back then and he found me thru CBG (thumbsu. I sent him books he paid and we talked like crazy comic book people.

I don't buy Overstreet anymore since I can barley read it with glasses on :cry:

I thought he was crazy spending that much money since you could buy a New 4 bedroom house for 90k here in Sonoma county back then (shrug).

I wish I had the money and the smarts this man had back when I was young :makepoint: 

I always bought low grade book's so I could buy 4 or 5 great book's instead of 1 real nice book ? Comic books to me was always Fun Fun Fun not for investment I just love comic book's ^^

Oh and I love the smell something that I always like to do smell my book's :whee:

Edited by woowoo

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

especially when you consider a different Action #1 that was displayed having been stolen.

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If I had such a book, I would not tell anyone or display it for security and privacy concerns. 

22 hours ago, SSuperman said:

Well,

From John Snyder's mouth "I sold Dave the Action #1 for $21K ( not 25K ) and told him if he bought the #1 I would throw in the #2 to #24.

I was in at Johns house when he was president of Diamond & Gemstone back in 1995! 

Nice freebee!

8 hours ago, woowoo said:

I always bought low grade book's so I could buy 4 or 5 great book's instead of 1 real nice book

I did the same.Not great as an investment strategy, but it stretched a limited budget into a wider collecting umbrella. Certainly if I was buying PCH instead of chasing old pinball machines for years, I'd be a LOT better off...  :whistle:

20 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Yep, you're correct - my bad. At least I had the date right.

I understand if he doesn't want to display the most famous Action #1. But what's the deal with no photographs? At all? Have any of these top graders ever asked him why he's refused a single photograph?

Actually, there are approximately 15 known 1804 Morgan (Liberty) dollars that were made as gifts in the mid 1800's, a good candidate for being the "Action 1 of coins".

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

Actually, there are approximately 15 known 1804 Morgan (Liberty) dollars that were made as gifts in the mid 1800's, a good candidate for being the "Action 1 of coins".

I think the objection was to the fact they weren't "Morgan" dollars per se.'  Those were a particular design in the later 1800's. As you pointed out they are more properly "Liberty" dollars (or bowed Liberty IIRC). At least that's the way I took the original objection to mean...  :shy:

Me? I'd rather have the Church Action 1 than an 1804 dollar, as I imagine many here would. They're surprisingly close in value (assuming that the Church copy would net in that 5 million or higher ballpark).  (shrug)

The 1804 might be more like the Detective 27, as I think the 1794 date is more the rage these days. That's probably your Action 1 of coins, but who knows. 2c

13 hours ago, woowoo said:

I know this (thumbsu Thank you.

I have no interest in talking to him, We where both comic book collectors starting out back then and he found me thru CBG (thumbsu. I sent him books he paid and we talked like crazy comic book people.

I don't buy Overstreet anymore since I can barley read it with glasses on :cry:

I thought he was crazy spending that much money since you could buy a New 4 bedroom house for 90k here in Sonoma county back then (shrug).

I wish I had the money and the smarts this man had back when I was young :makepoint: 

I always bought low grade book's so I could buy 4 or 5 great book's instead of 1 real nice book ? Comic books to me was always Fun Fun Fun not for investment I just love comic book's ^^

Oh and I love the smell something that I always like to do smell my book's :whee:

You all should have forgotten about comic books in 1985 and used that 20k in Apple stocks and enjoy being a billionaire a few times over today. Lol

Or wait until the 1990’s and jump on Microsoft...

Or....