• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who owns the most perfect Action Comics #1?
4 4

205 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Wasn't "The Dentist" copy originally the one in the Edgar Church Collection discovered in 1977? If so, I understand that The Dentist bought his high-grade copy from a Sparkling City Comics sale of Mile High Comics in 1984? Do I have this info right?

No, he got the Action 1 - 23 Church run from Snyder who was a major comic book broker at the time since I believe Anderson didn't have direct access to acquire any of the Church books directly from Chuck.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No, he got the Action 1 - 23 Church run from Snyder who was a major comic book broker at the time since I believe Anderson didn't have direct access to acquire any of the Church books directly from Chuck.  :gossip:

Right. If I remember correctly, John told me that by this point in time, Chuck was limiting sales to a certain dollar amount a year. He would go down the list of people who bought from him the prior year and ask if they were interested in buying. John was at or near the top of this list, and Anderson having just started his practice was not on it and would talk to John about either buying for him, or asking to purchase what John did buy.

Of course since Anderson's son is a member here on the boards, these questions could be directed at him.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Of course since Anderson's son is a member here on the boards, these questions could be directed at him.

Well, since Dave himnself is also a board member here, maybe we should get it right from the horse's mouth then.  hm

After all, how can we forget that one and only rather infamous post years ago that Dave did where he really held nothing back at all and gave us a piece of his mind. :slapfight:  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since Dave himself is also a board member here, maybe we should get it right from the horse's mouth then.  hm

After all, how can we forget that one and only rather infamous post years ago that Dave did where he really held nothing back at all and gave us a piece of his mind. :slapfight:  lol

So true, so true. lol

But Adam at least participates regularly.

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since Dave himnself is also a board member here, maybe we should get it right from the horse's mouth then.  hm

Didn’t know he was a boardie. Cool. Please repost the infamous post ! :) 

56 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Didn’t know he was a boardie. Cool. Please repost the infamous post ! :) 

Afraid you will have to ask another boardie with more computer literate skills than me since my knowledge is virtually zero when it comes to doing a search on these boards here. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Afraid you will have to ask another boardie with more computer literate skills than me since my knowledge is virtually zero when it comes to doing a search on these boards here. :facepalm:

Do you remember his user id?

2 hours ago, fishbone said:
On 4/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, Primetime said:

Yes, the Dentist own the Church Action 1. I believe he purchased it in 1982 for $25k. 

F**k, that's a deal !! 

Although I am sure that Dave feels the same way TODAY looking backwards, I am not sure if he would feel quite the same way back then since it was over 40+ plus years ago.  :takeit:

Especially since he had just pretty much come out from dental school at the time and needless to say, wasn't exactly loaded down with excess spending money.  hm

On 4/7/2020 at 8:21 PM, lou_fine said:

Although I am sure that Dave feels the same way TODAY looking backwards, I am not sure if he would feel quite the same way back then since it was over 40+ plus years ago.  :takeit:

Especially since he had just pretty much come out from dental school at the time and needless to say, wasn't exactly loaded down with excess spending money.  hm

He certainly "Manned Up" , as one has been quoted many times on here saying .  Damn !!

4 hours ago, fishbone said:
On 4/7/2020 at 5:21 PM, lou_fine said:

He certainly "Manned Up" , as one has been quoted many times on here saying .  Damn !!

Well, when you just come out from university and into a profession like medicine, dentistry, or law, the credit card companies love to throw applications your way, just hoping to hook you into their claws for the long term even back then in the old days.  :devil:  

Now that I've verified some of the dates for this book, I have another question. This supposed best-anywhere Action Comics #1 was discovered in 1977, maybe traded hands a time or two, then made its way to The Dentist around 1982-1984. Since then, he's never allowed anyone to take so much as a photograph of it, yet there was a five-seven year span before he got his mitts on it. No one took a single photo of it in all that time? Really? The supposed highest grade of the king of all comics? And in the 43 years since its discovery, not one single, solitary photo exists of it to prove its top-dog status? Saying "Well, Mr. X, Y, and Z saw it and they verified it's the best" isn't verification. I don't know them and I can't see what they saw. So, I'm sorry, but until The Dentist or a prior owner can at least give a modicum of photographic evidence (much less a CGC grade or, shocker, display it somewhere) that the condition of this copy exceeds the 9.0 copy sold on eBay a few years back, I'll consider the eBay copy the best Action #1 in existence.

5 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

No one took a single photo of it in all that time? Really?

How many photos are there of the AT Detective 27 or the MH Marvel Comics 1?

So, I'm sorry, but until The Dentist or a prior owner can at least give a modicum of photographic evidence (much less a CGC grade or, shocker, display it somewhere) that the condition of this copy exceeds the 9.0 copy sold on eBay a few years back, I'll consider the eBay copy the best Action #1 in existence.

I'm sure Dave Anderson will be shattered by this news.

Now that I've verified some of the dates for this book, I have another question. This supposed best-anywhere Action Comics #1 was discovered in 1977, maybe traded hands a time or two, then made its way to The Dentist around 1982-1984. Since then, he's never allowed anyone to take so much as a photograph of it, yet there was a five-seven year span before he got his mitts on it. No one took a single photo of it in all that time? Really? The supposed highest grade of the king of all comics? And in the 43 years since its discovery, not one single, solitary photo exists of it to prove its top-dog status? Saying "Well, Mr. X, Y, and Z saw it and they verified it's the best" isn't verification. I don't know them and I can't see what they saw. So, I'm sorry, but until The Dentist or a prior owner can at least give a modicum of photographic evidence (much less a CGC grade or, shocker, display it somewhere) that the condition of this copy exceeds the 9.0 copy sold on eBay a few years back, I'll consider the eBay copy the best Action #1 in existence.

:signfunny:

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

I remember talking with Bob Overstreet at the 1992 Diamond seminar in Baltimore after he and Geppi had just come back from Anderson's place and it was all he could talk about for an hour.

The Action 1 or Anderson's collection?