• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who owns the most perfect Action Comics #1?
4 4

205 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Think Lance Armstrong and you’ll get a good idea what I’m talking about...

Now, that's a name I seem to recognize from quite awhile ago.  (thumbsu

Is he still in the hobby or is he pretty much done and gone with the hobby nowadays, like so many of these collectors from back in the day?

Since I have never dealt with him before, are you implying that he is like the Dentist with some of his dealings or that he probably got taken by the Dentist?  hm

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that's a name I seem to recognize from quite awhile ago.  (thumbsu

Is he still in the hobby or is he pretty much done and gone with the hobby nowadays, like so many of these collectors from back in the day?

Since I have never dealt with him before, are you implying that he is like the Dentist with some of his dealings or that he probably got taken by the Dentist?  hm

Lance Armstrong is a cyclist once known as a champion but is now known more for his misdeeds - you should look him up online.

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Lance Armstrong is a cyclist once known as a champion but is now known more for his misdeeds - you should look him up online.

Yes, my bad as I clearly know who Lance Armstrong is.  doh!

When I saw your post, the first name that came to my mind was actually Lance Washington (a comic collector from back then) for some odd reason.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Just happened to see my old copy of CBM #2 (1991) yesterday while moving stuff around and flipped through it, seeing this ad from the Dentist selling some dupes and unwanted stuff.

Let's see... Action #1 VG/F, All Flash 1 NM, All Select 1 (Denver), All Star 3 VF/NM,  Detective 27 VF/NM (pretty sure this is the one I bought with Jerry Jacobs a little later and became the first $100K comic), Flash 1 Fawcett, Kid Komics 1 (Windy City), King Comics 1 (Windy City), Marvel 1 (Denver), Phantom Lady 17 NM, 3 copies of Whiz 1, Wow 1 (Windy City), Young Allies 1 (San Francisco) etc., etc.

Pretty solid selection of rejects

20200415_145245.jpg

What ever happened to Jerry Jacobs?  One day he just stopped answering the phone.  

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
3 hours ago, buttock said:

What ever happened to Jerry Jacobs?  One day he just stopped answering the phone.  

Jerry passed away suddenly, several years ago.

Hey Crow, do you remember this other interesting "blast from the past" thread from 12 years ago (see link below) that you answered a Jerry Jacobs question and then Jerry showed up!

A lot of legendary CGC boardies in the thread also. Some, who are commenting currently in this thread!

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/120562-fake-mile-highs/page/7/

20 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Hey Crow, do you remember this other interesting "blast from the past" thread from 12 years ago (see link below) that you answered a Jerry Jacobs question and then Jerry showed up!

A lot of legendary CGC boardies in the thread also. Some, who are commenting currently in this thread!

Fascinating thread for several reasons.

19 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
On 4/16/2020 at 8:27 AM, DanCooper said:

Fascinating thread for several reasons.

I had forgotten that there was a time when Black Hand actually collected comics and talked about them!

On 4/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

With all due respect, this post shows a major amount of ignorance about collector's of DA's generation.  They aren't buying books to show them off.  They are buying books, and then keeping them secret.  It's an entirely different mentality that predates CGC by decades.  These guys share their books, which they truly view as holy grails, only with folks who they personally know and value.  In DA's case, we know that both Borock and Fischler have seen the book and graded it 9.2-9.4.  If that's not good enough for you, then you are too wet behind the ears.

If competition is your purpose in collecting, then all I can say is that DA has already won.  Top Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, and many other key books.  Plus, he's got the original batmobile, key original art, and who knows what else.  Worth noting that Dave's kid is a highly respected comic dealer on eBay (Blissard) who is a joy to buy from.  So, in all likelihood, Dave's collection may never see the light of day. 

It's not ignorance, sir. It's puzzlement. One allegedly has the most perfect copy of the most desired comic, but never has it graded and never shows it to anyone, save two or three people - ever. To most anyone, this would be strange, in addition to never even having a photo of it circulated. A collector in any other field would feel the same way. Your comment that I'm "ignorant" for asking honest questions is unjustified and, quite frankly, offensive.

2 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

It's not ignorance, sir. It's puzzlement. One allegedly has the most perfect copy of the most desired comic, but never has it graded and never shows it to anyone, save two or three people - ever. To most anyone, this would be strange, in addition to never even having a photo of it circulated. A collector in any other field would feel the same way. Your comment that I'm "ignorant" for asking honest questions is unjustified and, quite frankly, offensive.

No offense intended.  I started collecting in the 70s and view myself as a "younger guy" in comic collecting, but I'm old enough to know real old school collectors. The older guys I know who started collecting in the 60s.  They were buying great comics for a pittance, long before auctions, benefiting from an information disparity about the true value of old comics.  Consequently, they are secretive and very very protective of their comics. They started collecting back when most folks had no idea comics had value.  They didn't necessarily wants guys to know what they had or what they were looking for in order to avoid generating interest in their targeted books.  I can see how this would be baffling to a collector in CGC times.  But, most of those older guys are like me, they don't see comics as "baseball cards" where they only thing that matters is the front and back covers.  They also see no reason to get a comic graded when (a) they can grade it themselves, (b) don't want to sell it, and (c) can store it safely without incurring the cost.  This not unusual, some of the most famous collectors in comics have this attitude - on the boards Bangzoom's collection is a good example. His fantastic collection was unknown to most for over 50 years.  So your assertion that DA is "strange" is ignorant of a common attitude of a large segment of participants in this hobby.  

As for other fields, I can't speak to collector attitudes in them.  I do know that in the segment of the fine art market I collect, there are collectors who are guarded about what they have and what they want. Most auction buyers don't publicize that they are the purchaser. And pieces disappear into private collections.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

No offense intended.  I started collecting in the 70s and view myself as a "younger guy" in comic collecting, but I'm old enough to know real old school collectors. The older guys I know who started collecting in the 60s.  They were buying great comics for a pittance, long before auctions, benefiting from an information disparity about the true value of old comics.  Consequently, they are secretive and very very protective of their comics. They started collecting back when most folks had no idea comics had value.  They didn't necessarily wants guys to know what they had or what they were looking for in order to avoid generating interest in their targeted books.  I can see how this would be baffling to a collector in CGC times.  But, most of those older guys are like me, they don't see comics as "baseball cards" where they only thing that matters is the front and back covers.  They also see no reason to get a comic graded when (a) they can grade it themselves, (b) don't want to sell it, and (c) can store it safely without incurring the cost.  This not unusual, some of the most famous collectors in comics have this attitude - on the boards Bangzoom's collection is a good example. His fantastic collection was unknown to most for over 50 years.  So your assertion that DA is "strange" is ignorant of a common attitude of a large segment of participants in this hobby.  

As for other fields, I can't speak to collector attitudes in them.  I do know that in the segment of the fine art market I collect, there are collectors who are guarded about what they have and what they want. Most auction buyers don't publicize that they are the purchaser. And pieces disappear into private collections.

Original bat mobile ?  Duck, Please expound. Interesting ! 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Original bat mobile ?  Duck, Please expound. Interesting ! 

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batmobile#Replicas

"The #1 Barris-built Batmobile, built from the original 1955 Lincoln Futura concept car, was purchased by Richard Champagne of Ahwatukee, Arizona at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in January 2013 for $4,620,000. It was subsequently purchased privately by Dr. David Anderson, owner of Batmobile #2, for an undisclosed sum*

The #2 Barris-built Batmobile is owned by Dr. David Anderson of Virginia, and has not been repaired or restored. Original purchase price was $225,000. "

*Sources state that JamesEdition advertised the Batmobile at $5,000,000, one article I saw suggested it was advertised with a Batcycle, but I can't find any other reference to this.

Edited by Crowzilla
to show possible sale price of #1 model