• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sensation Comics #22 Production error?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just picked up this copy of Sensation Comics 22.

Upon inspection I noticed what looked like several pages cut out. My concern turned to confusion when I did a page count and according to GCD all story and ad pages are accounted for: 60 total pages including front and back covers.The story continues without interruption from the appeared cut pages. I counted 16 pages in the first half to the centerfold, 12 pages in the second half.

Has anyone else run into this? I've seen some wonky stuff on single-staple war time books but this takes the cake.

fullsizeoutput_16c5.jpeg

3XdHwrUySg2PPktS3hlFcA.jpg

MM9ES47GTeu%U6V0PJsX+w.jpg

qVL+f%GKRy6MGxE6WxQ%4g.jpg

zWfObGKwTXasBQg0Nro9rw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_16c9.jpeg

Paging @skypinkblu . :)  But until she gets here...

There were GA books manufactured in the wartime 1943-1944 era which do indeed fit this description -- 16 pages in the front and 12 pages in the back, with half-inch strips of paper like that peeping out in the back to secure the extra pages in the front. The concerning thing is that those strips pictured are by far the roughest I've ever seen -- not sure if even the worst production cuts would look like that. I wonder if someone could have tried unsuccessfully to rip or cut out those extra strips for some odd reason.

31 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

https://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden Age Index.pdf

Usually the cuts are neater, I still have no idea why they had those cut outs.

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Paging @skypinkblu . :)  But until she gets here...

There were GA books manufactured in the wartime 1943-1944 era which do indeed fit this description -- 16 pages in the front and 12 pages in the back, with half-inch strips of paper like that peeping out in the back to secure the extra pages in the front. The concerning thing is that those strips pictured are by far the roughest I've ever seen -- not sure if even the worst production cuts would look like that. I wonder if someone could have tried unsuccessfully to rip or cut out those extra strips for some odd reason.

Thanks guys! 

And thanks for the info on that Keltner Index! :D 

2 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

Thanks guys! 

And thanks for the info on that Keltner Index! :D 

:foryou:A friend sent me that eons ago. I found that some of the GCD info is wrong. Keitner seemed to always be correct. The problem is, he only did super heroes. With the GCD for years, pretty much anyone could edit, even me;) and some people either couldn't count, or didn't realize that the books they were counting were missing pages.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:32 PM, Timely said:

They are without question, not production cuts. My guess is someone thought the book was incomplete and tried to cut out the strips they saw. 

That makes a lot of sense.

I wonder how CGC would view it. Since the book is technically complete, I'm thinking universal and it wouldn't even matter.