• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ocasio-Cortez Comic

102 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, adampasz said:

Definitely not black and white.

All I know for certain is, when I was a kid, I bought Marvel Two-In-One #91 because I thought Batman would be in it. If any book should've been pulped by DC, it's that one! ;)

Crazy! I see what you mean with that one. Definitely 'borrowing some equity' there.

5 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

My comments were in reference to @adampasz's question on a hypothetical situation.  However, I agree with you that for the AOC comic, there is strong evidence to support fair use.

If anything, DC's actions just put this book on the map.

Perhaps, but one of the things about IP is that you choose not to defend it on some occasions, it can sometimes be harder to defend it later

13 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

I give this book a month or 2 before its worthless.   I just found a ron paul comic for sale at half price books, im sure her comic wont hold up long term

I don't think anyone on here is buying at these prices or agree that it will stay at this price long term.

I'm like a week late, but I finally caught up with this book.

Modern books like this never cease to amaze me.  For $2K I can get a nice high grade WWBN32!!!  ASM129?  GSX1? lol 

Having said that, this is a cool modern book to own, no doubt, but really wonder if this is really that rare.

just was browsing on ebay and saw the wonder woman variant of this book on there. currently there are 2 of them up, and one is ASKING $2k another $1500 or so..... that is just unbelievable.

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I think this book has had its 10 minutes of fame. The real questions is who get caught holding the hot potato?

I think you're missing the point.. the whole purpose of this scam was to promote this book, which basically promotes the politician. This book was heavily advertised by several vendors before this "recall" occurred and no one cared for it. Now her book is selling like hotcakes all across the board. Not just the "recalled" variant. 

This same exact retail phenomenon occurred with Rick & Morty books. One book was shilled to death and as a result all associated books from that title skyrocketed. 

Since this is such a winning formula, this will happen again in the future with another title, and another, and another... 

welcome to a new era in comic book retailing

Edited by Aweandlorder

37 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I think you're missing the point.. the whole purpose of this scam was to promote this book, which basically promotes the politician. This book was heavily advertised by several vendors before this "recall" occurred and no one cared for it. Now her book is selling like hotcakes all across the board. Not just the "recalled" variant. 

This same exact retail phenomenon occurred with Rick & Morty books. One book was shilled to death and as a result all associated books from that title skyrocketed. 

Since this is such a winning formula, this will happen again in the future with another title, and another, and another... 

I don't think these are in any way authorized. They have them for a number of political figures.

There are also a handful of different store variants. Only one was hit the the DC suit.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

I don't think these are in any way authorized. They have them for a number of political figures.

There are also a handful of different store variants. Only one was hit the the DC suit.

The dc lawsuit was a gimmic. That's all this title needed to get off track

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:
2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

The dc lawsuit was a gimmic. That's all this title needed to get off track

Its entirely possible. So you are saying the book will hold value?

Just now, fastballspecial said:

The cop-out answer would be I don't know. However, I'm gonna guarantee you it will be a sought out book because there was a tremendous effort to make this a hit. When this book came out I received notices from many comic book stores, one who I know for a fact were paid by devils due to promote it. It was all over fb and many blogs. People were hyping it massively. 

Think about what we're talking about here for a second it's a comic book about a politician, with no emphasis on story, art and with no key significance. 

Yet it was promoted up the wazoo. 

There were massive money's poured on to this obscure title. For no other reason than to push a political narrative. 

There are many other political figure books, most of which are published by Bluewater Comics, which are as obscure as this comic should've been had it not been promoted and then marketed cleverly by the publisher

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:
13 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

The cop-out answer would be I don't know. However, I'm gonna guarantee you it will be a sought out book because there was a tremendous effort to make this a hit. When this book came out I received notices from many comic book stores, one who I know for a fact were paid by devils due to promote it. It was all over fb and many blogs. People were hyping it massively. 

Think about what we're talking about here for a second it's a comic book about a politician, with no emphasis on story, art and with no key significance. 

Yet it was promoted up the wazoo. 

There were massive money's poured on to this obscure title. For no other reason than to push a political narrative. 

There are many other political figure books, most of which are published by Bluewater Comics, which are as obscure as this comic should've been had it not been promoted and then marketed cleverly by the publisher

The Bluewater comparison is really good. I agree Devil's Due has had numerous problems over the year so I have no problem believing any of it. Its definitely not a book
I would be paying the bleed price on.

It definitely a side of our industry I prefer to ignore.

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Other copies moved up in large part because some news outlets incorrectly identified the variant.