• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ocasio-Cortez Comic

102 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Other copies moved up in large part because some news outlets incorrectly identified the variant.

Did you survey the buyers in order to conclude that?

No. This book was an $80.00 book right out of the gate on feb 25th. In fact, it has DROPPED in price since then. The only thing that made this a monster is the shilled variant and the fools that followed buying it

Here's what I'd like to add to this topic. 

What made Ocasio's political campaign chose comic book as a promotional avenue? Pop culture 

They chose wisely. In just a short while Ocasio has been featured in cartoons, comics, posters, magazine covers (from Hollywood Reporter to Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone etc), T-Shirts, appearances in SXSW - The works! She even quoted Rorschach in one of her tweets for heavens sakes!

They are shaping her to be a superstar. Think Obama had a pop impact on youth? Think again... This one is going places!

Anyone who thinks that this comic book is a fluke doesn't carefully read between the lines. The comic book is not where it ends... it's where it begins.

FWIW, Devils Due had a booth at Phoenix CC this past weekend and I asked the artist (Blake) about the WW cover, how the book was being received, etc and he acted surprised at the attention the comic has gotten. Having said that, DDP had a table with around 2000 AOC reg cover books on opening day so they obviously felt they could capitalize on name recognition.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, Aweandlorder said:

The dc lawsuit was a gimmic. That's all this title needed to get off track

This is silly. AOC already has huge recognition and a comic book, even one that's involved in a legal battle, is not going to make many people aware of her that currently aren't. For the lawsuit to be a gimmick, one comic company would have to be complicit in drawing attention to a different company's book for the sake of attention and therefore sales, and businesses don't work that way.

Can I mention that @Jimmy Linguini  was the loudest voice championing these books as good spec, that I thought he was out of his mind, and that if I would have listened to him I would be a few thousand dollars richer (because I obviously would have sold these books as soon as I possibly could).  

3 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I don't think AOC's campaign team had anything to do with the comic book. Where did you read that?

Common sense is where you read about it... Since when are comic books about politicians are a "thing"? Let alone, relatively unknown politicians

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is silly. AOC already has huge recognition and a comic book, even one that's involved in a legal battle, is not going to make many people aware of her that currently aren't. For the lawsuit to be a gimmick, one comic company would have to be complicit in drawing attention to a different company's book for the sake of attention and therefore sales, and businesses don't work that way.

There is no lawsuit

31 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Common sense is where you read about it... Since when are comic books about politicians are a "thing"? Let alone, relatively unknown politicians

I guess I have to disagree with your assertion that shes relatively unknown.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

1 minute ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I guess I have to disagree with your assertion that shes relatively unknown.

Were talking about "thousands of dollars" known JL... Did it ever happen with any past political figure in comic book form?

To put it in perspective.. Even a signed Obama ASM 583 9.8 is not bringing Ocasio type of moneys.

and thats the effin president of the united states man!!

The only one thing you have to ask yourself here is- why is this book selling for 1000s of dollars.

thousands

Does this seem natural to you? Is this a common practice in our market on a property with no ties to any pop culture?

No

There is SERIOUS money invested behind political campaigns. Were not talking comic book money, heck, were not even talking about Hollywood money. 

Billions go each year in total lobbying spending... Heck, they can crush a tiny market like ours with just pouring a small fraction of that into promoting political figures. But no one has ever done it before.

$100,000 lets say, spent on politician campaigns is breakfast money.

You and I will never hear about it. Its not like its being advertised somewhere. 

If you think her comic book came out and was purchased organically for $20-80 with zero advertising I'd like to have some of what youre smoking... if you think that DC was absolutely furious about having Ocasio dress up as Wonder Woman where they sent their attorneys to chase down every copy and destroy it because it hurts their image I'd be interested to read about it. Show me a lawsuit, show me signed attorney letter... Not that it would make any difference... But its all a gimmick whether it happened or not. The end result is where you ALWAYS look. Its the headline.

No one HATES DDP for what theyve done, no one is OUTRAGED about their "recalled" book. They havent done anything to damage their reputation. 

No. They just cooked a clever marketing campaign 

47 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

They just cooked a clever marketing campaign 

OK, a clever marketing campaign I can buy.

But that’s a big step back from the global conspiracy of multinational corporations, political power brokers, Illuminati agents and Swiss banking gnomes secretly working together to spike the value of a comic book for political gain that you were espousing a few posts earlier.

12 minutes ago, Brock said:

OK, a clever marketing campaign I can buy.

But that’s a big step back from the global conspiracy of multinational corporations, political power brokers, Illuminati agents and Swiss banking gnomes secretly working together to spike the value of a comic book for political gain that you were espousing a few posts earlier.

All i said is that a lobbyist from Alphabet city NY shelled a check for 100 grand to promote a comic book for his boss

Can you buy that?

Edited by Aweandlorder

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

The only one thing you have to ask yourself here is- why is this book selling for 1000s of dollars.

thousands

Because people are dopes.   

Edited by Mercury Man

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It was reported in multiple places that DC issued a cease and desist. Your suggestion that it was only a headline suggests that you know that to not be true.

No,. My suggestion that it was a headline is not rather it was factual or not. But rather did that headline constitute such backlash