• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ElfQuest Appreciation Thread
3 3

89 posts in this topic

One of the very few comic series that was released as an independent, but also at some point published by the big 3 (DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse).  With the wrap up of "40 Years of Pointed Ears" and the completion of the Final Quest in 2018, I figured it was time to include some appreciation for ElfQuest.  Here is the black and white book that started it all, Fantasy Quarterly # 1 released February 1978. 

FQ1_raw.jpg

Edited by BanjerD

I was about 12 years old in 1978 and bought my first FQ off the rack at my LCS in Austin, TX for $1.  I sold that copy and all my other EQ books while I was in college, shipped them off to someone in Arizona as I recall.hm  But recently have started to collect ElfQuest again. 

My copy I picked up a year ago.  I'd read in price guides ages ago that it was printed cheaply, but was still surprised at how flimsy it was when I finally got mine.  One of my favorite books, and IMO very affordable at around 70 bucks on average.  Elfquest is just so....amazing....when it comes to comicdom.  That their first appearance from the 70's is cheaper than a first Deadpool appearance still blows me away.

I first got into elfquest when I fond a few TPB's (or probably hardcover) from my local library in the mid 90's.  My library didnt have comics, but somehow they had the first couple for elfquest and I remember reading them and just being memorized.  A few years later, in the late 90's, I bought a mostly full run of their original issues on ebay for pretty cheap.  I wish I bought more on ebay back then, because comics were cheaaaaap.  Anyway, loved elfquest then, and still love them to this day.  Isnt there a movie in the works?

123.jpg

Elfquest has such a hardcore cult following. I've been selling elfquest trades/hc for the past few years now and can't keep up with stock. There's a huge fan base out there which is just not organized properly in the right venue. A movie can bring this series to the attention of an even bigger audience. I honestly think that this could be of a Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Twilight success level

Elfquest collecting info:

1st appearance - Fantasy Quarterly #1

2nd appearance - Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover price)

3rd appearance - Elfquest #3 ($1.00 cover price)

...sometime later... Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover price)

...any issue of Elfquest #2, #3, or #1, with more than a $1.00 cover price is a reprint.

:foryou:

On 5/23/2019 at 2:54 AM, valiantman said:

Elfquest collecting info:

1st appearance - Fantasy Quarterly #1

2nd appearance - Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover price)

3rd appearance - Elfquest #3 ($1.00 cover price)

...sometime later... Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover price)

...any issue of Elfquest #2, #3, or #1, with more than a $1.00 cover price is a reprint.

:foryou:

Good info!

EQ2and3.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 16.52.51.png

Haven't read it in years but I really liked the original series. The color hard covers from the mid 1980s were amazing. Richard worked endlessly, promoting this and his other books. I'm glad it seems to have paid off for him.

56 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Haven't read it in years but I really liked the original series. The color hard covers from the mid 1980s were amazing. Richard worked endlessly, promoting this and his other books. I'm glad it seems to have paid off for him.

If you want to catch up, most of the books (except the Final Quest) can be digitally read on the official website.

http://elfquest.com/read/digitalEQ.html

Here's Judy's copy.... she's a big fan. We got this from my friend Wayne.... he's owned an LCS since the 80's. This copy is also autographed by Richard and Wendy Pini …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

AutgbyH.jpg

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Here's Judy's copy.... she's a big fan. We got this from my friend Wayne.... he's owned an LCS since the 80's. This copy is also autographed by Richard and Wendy Pini …. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

AutgbyH.jpg

My first ever double cover was a surprise on an Elfquest #2 :cloud9: and then later on I lucked into a #1(Marvel) Canadian newsstand double :cloud9::cloud9:

One day I'll find that box in the crypt,one day lol 

Thanks to this thread, I revisited this series for the first time since '85 when I discovered the trades at a Walden Books while on a very long and very boring cross country road trip with my newly-divorced mom. Totally lost myself in the story, and plowing through volume after volume is one of my favorite memories of an otherwise very turbulent time in my life. Just "picked up" the first volume on ComiXology and I'm once again devouring every single gorgeous panel by Wendy Pini. It's once again my favorite comic of all time. 

New collecting goal: first printings of the original series. 

A 9.6 Warp #1 sold for $276 (plus tax and shipping) yesterday on CL.  This is a fairly strong price for a "reprint", is it not?  But, there are very few on the census, with nine 9.6 and a lone 9.8.  Keep in mind that the Warp #1 book was published (April 1979) about a year after debut Fantasy Quarterly 1 in spring 1978.  Interestingly, the Warp #1 was also published after the Warp 2 and Warp #3, but folks do seem to love a number one!

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.28.41.png

22 hours ago, BanjerD said:

A 9.6 Warp #1 sold for $276 (plus tax and shipping) yesterday on CL.  This is a fairly strong price for a "reprint", is it not?  But, there are very few on the census, with nine 9.6 and a lone 9.8.  Keep in mind that the Warp #1 book was published (April 1979) about a year after debut Fantasy Quarterly 1 in spring 1978.  Interestingly, the Warp #1 was also published after the Warp 2 and Warp #3, but folks do seem to love a number one!

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.28.41.png

Interesting... any news on a movie or tv series for this IPO.  it would translate well..