• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Favorite Limited Series?
2 2

86 posts in this topic

A few off the top of my head:

JSA Strange Adventures. I have a real fondness for this one. Whenever I have to stay in hospital, I always take the tpb with me. 

JSA All-Stars. 

JSA Returns. Honestly, there's probably notbing that great about this one. It's just nice to have a fairly modern story starring the Golden Age greats, done in that style, by modern talent. 

DC Universe Legacies. A fun recounting of DC's entire history. 

New Frontier. 

Transformers Vs GIJOE (IDW, Scioli). 

Transformers: The War Within. 

Transformers: Last Stand Of The Wreckers. 

Hotwire: Requiem For The Dead. 

Iron Man: Hypervelocity. It's fun, with some great art. Not for everyone.

Spider-Man/X-Men and Spider-Man/ Fantastic Four, by Christos Gage and Mario Alberti. Both miniseries' spend an issue each in various eras of their respective franchises, with an over-arching plot providing some connective tissue. Both are a lot of fun. 

3 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Transformers Vs GIJOE (IDW, Scioli). 

Transformers: The War Within. 

Transformers: Last Stand Of The Wreckers.

Last Stand of the Wreckers was hands-down my favorite TF story that I've read.  I enjoyed the War Within too.  Dreamwave had some solid output before Pat Lee ran it right into the ground.  

I gotta get into some Transformers comics. Transformers were one of my biggest things as a kid. Even in high school, I bought some of the newer toys, because I loved them as a kid and it amazed me how much they advanced in toy production after all those years. I still have those toys in an ottoman. I always wanted to get that giant Unicron toy...

One of my best friends has a Decepticon tattoo, and his wife has an Autobot tattoo.

A few to come to mind are Daytripper, I Kill Giants, All Star Superman and Black Hole. One piece has cover stories that become their own stories and of those I REALLY dig Enel's Great Space Operations, I think my favorite is probably Solanin though.

5 minutes ago, JayT said:

A few to come to mind are Daytripper, I Kill Giants, All Star Superman and Black Hole. One piece has cover stories that become their own stories and of those I REALLY dig Enel's Great Space Operations, I think my favorite is probably Solanin though.

I still have yet to read my book of that series. I'll have to take it on the 4-day wedding party vacation next month.

I enjoyed Zeck's Punisher story/series that went 4 but really 5 issues. I think it holds on as the best Punisher story in terms of writing and artwork. 

Marvel Secret Wars...the first go at it. I liked the premise, the toy tie-in. Just an all out battle royale, crazy scenario that was exactly what comics should be....fun!

Combat Kelly. Not so much a limited series as a series that did not last very long (ran from June '72 to October '73). Believe it was 9 issues, had a definite ending and the art and storytelling were as good as any war book from the time IMO.

Edited by comicginger1789

I’ve been thinking about it for days and still can’t come up with a favorite. I think often times limited series are able to up the ante a little in production value and maybe go places an ongoing couldn’t go, especially when it comes to continuity and shared universes. 

17 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

I could go with the Wolverine mini the Hawkeye mini , Punisher mini but when I read this i really really like it.  

Thanos-Rising_1-674x1024.jpg

One that's quite polarising.  I liked it.

15 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Easily.

DKR.jpg

I always thought the naming convention was a bit strange on this series.  Each one has a unique title and only the first is called "The Dark Knight Returns".  The others are:

#2 - Dark Knight Triumphant

#3 - Hunt the Dark Knight

#4 - The Dark Knight Falls

Yet CGC and just about everyone else calls them "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #2, #3, #4". 

It seems to make more sense to call them "Batman: The Dark Knight #1, #2, #3, #4". 

Just a random thought.  Carry on.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

I always thought the naming convention was a bit strange on this series.  Each one has a unique title and only the first is called "The Dark Knight Returns".  The others are:

#2 - Dark Knight Triumphant

#3 - Hunt the Dark Knight

#4 - The Dark Knight Falls

Yet CGC and just about everyone else calls them "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #2, #3, #4". 

It seems to make more sense to call them "Batman: The Dark Knight #1, #2, #3, #4". 

Just a random thought.  Carry on.

I think that DC Comics is the one that created the series naming convention.

20 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I still have yet to read my book of that series. I'll have to take it on the 4-day wedding party vacation next month.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the character and from that perspective it feels likes this series is the statement needed for a character that's been around 80 years and moreover the only one I probably need until a couple more decades pass and somebody has another worthwhile take. Grant and Frank are fantastic and I just tend to appreciate the hell out of instance when all time unique creators are able to put their stamp on a classic. Characters like that merit having some space on a modern top shelf and it isn't altogether promised.

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

The series is officially titled "Batman: The Dark Knight."

However, the collected editions are titled "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns."

I mostly only do marvel and dc, very limited on Indy stuff. 

If I had to pick the best from each I would pick Watchmen from DC (with dark knight returns the runner up).   For Marvel I would go with the Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 which I bought off the spinner rack in the early 90s when comics were still sold that way.  Secret Wars from a few years prior is also a good choice.