• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JLA and Batman full issue color guides, X-Factor Annual cover, some CFA-APA Zines too

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, for sale here are a few full issue interior color guides to JLA 23 as well as Batman: Shadow of the Bat 34 and 43, X-Factor Annual 9, and I have a couple of CFA-APA publications too.

Please NOTE: I am only posting a few pages from the full interiors to JLA 23 and BSoftB issues - if you want more scans or images, message me. I just don't want to clog up the thread with 20+ pages per guide.  

Please post a :takeit: or PM me; in the case of a tie, time stamp determines the winner. 

Paypal preferred; but I can also accept check, MO, Venmo and ChasePay. 

Continental US shipping is included in the prices (I ship USPS Priority Mail); if you are outside the US I will ship but you must agree to pay shipping costs. 

No probates or Hall of Shamers please. 

Thanks and happy collecting! 

Edited by Sharkey

JLA 23 (October 1998): Full interior (23 Pages) plus copy of comic book - colors by Pat Garrahy - signed certificate of authenticity included.

Price: $350 

This may be one of the most pain-stakingly detailed (OCD?) color guides I've had the pleasure of owning. Pat Garrahy includes a b/w photocopy of the art of each page along with his detailed colorations. In many instances, he wants the comic printer to use textured backgrounds and includes examples of the backgrounds too. A phenomenal example of a color guide, hand colored by the colorist. 

Great story features the JLA, Orpheus (Sandman), and Orion. 

Here are a few examples of pages from the book. If you want to see additional images, please let me know. 

JLA23g.JPG

JLA23f.JPG

JLA23e.JPG

JLA23d.JPG

JLA23c.JPG

JLA23b.JPG

JLA23a.JPG

JLA23.JPG

Batman: Shadow of the Bat 34 (January 1995)

Complete interior (24 pages) plus copy of the comic book

Price: $300

Gorgeous colors by Adrienne Roy, showcasing Bats vs Tally Man, seeking revenge for his abuse at the hands of Azreal. Stunning color literally leap off the page. Below are some examples of pages, if you'd like to see more, message me - I just didn't want to clog the post with 24 images downloading. Bottom line is, they are all here, they are gorgeous, and somebody's gonna go home happy! 

Bat34c.JPG

Bat34b.JPG

Bat34a.JPG

Bat34.JPG

Batman Shadow of the Bat 43 (October 1995) complete interior (24 pages) with original comic book and certificate of authenticity signed by Pat Garrahy. 

Price: $275

Another Pat Garrahy masterpiece, coloring some sweet Kitson art, channeling Frank Miller perhaps? This great storyline also features Catwoman and is the start of the Secret of the Universe story arc. 

Below are a few pages of examples. If you want to see additional pages, please message me. 

Bat43e.JPG

Bat43d.JPG

Bat43c.JPG

Bat43b.JPG

Bat43a.JPG

Bat43.JPG

Marvel Comics X-Force Annual #9 Cover Color Guide art by Marvel Colorist Marie Javins. One-of-a-kind hand-colored artwork used in the production of the actual 1994 comic book. 

Price: $100 

It's a beautiful cover featuring Guido battling Power. And yes, I know that the cover info says Issue 3 in the upper left, but this was in fact used as the cover to Annual #9.  

What is a color guide? After a comic book was drawn, a staff colorist would hand-color photocopies of the artwork, which would be coded and sent to the printer, so that they could match the color appropriately when they printed the comic books. Color guides are becoming increasingly sought after because they represent a one of a kind collectible piece of a comic books actual production. 

This item is the color guide from the Marvel office, colored by Marie Javins. The art itself also has a clear acetate overlay which has all of the color codes for the printer (see 2nd picture).

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

CFA-APA 75 (Summer 2008)

Price: $99

You are looking at one issue of the CFA-APA (Comic and Fantasy Art - Amateur Press Association) - number 75 from July 2008. This issue features articles about Western comic art, with a focus on Ayers as well as lots of examples of Jack Kirby, Gil Kane, John Severin and many more (but not limited to that - there are all sorts of articles on various topics) and features articles and musings by such notable writers and experts as Harvey Kurtzman, Gary Land, Doug Ellis, George Hagenauer, and many others.  

Number 29 of only 55 printed and circulated copies

CFA-APA issues are very hard to find and are highly desirable comic art ephemera, often written by top fans, collectors, and experts in the comic art field. 

Signed and notarized by the editor (see photo). 

* 401 pages, 11" x 8.5"

Spiral Bound softcover with acetate overlays 

934439022_CFAAPA75.thumb.jpg.9b70321595627c187c45c9e00b04d3c0.jpg793497070_CFAAPA75b.thumb.jpg.b1eb5d7ac7a10c691abb632ab864b0e7.jpgIMG_5169.thumb.JPG.379781f9572739374e74fec293dce10b.JPGIMG_5170.thumb.JPG.33550fb5a6e7cb5597b3c6490551ba82.JPG

CFA APA 67 (Nov 2005

Price: $99

You are looking at one issue of the CFA-APA (Comic and Fantasy Art - Amateur Press Association) - number 67 from November 2005. This issue features articles about recreations (but not limited to that - there are all sorts of articles on various topics) and features articles and musings by such notable writers and experts as Roy Thomas, Ray Cuthbert, Enrico Salvini, Benno Rothschild, Bill Cox, George Hagenauer, Roger Hill and many others.  

One of only 55 printed and circulated copies - although this one is not numbered. 

CFA-APA issues are very hard to find and are highly desirable comic art ephemera, often written by top fans, collectors, and experts in the comic art field. 

Signed and notarized by the editor (see photo). 

* 335 pages, 11" x 8.5"

Spiral Bound softcover with acetate overlays 

IMG_4941.thumb.jpg.8d6b70101c5166ff6c3b52836e33afa4.jpgIMG_4942.thumb.jpg.a52b9d49411d89f440ea6fb040734137.jpg