• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

well how about that....
1 1

45 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

There's someone in the coin hobby that has been making fantasy coins for quite some time now.  They have the appearance of a real coin but are slightly different from the real ones.  He discloses them as such.  They sell for big bucks.  I look at them as counterfeit coins.  How he has avoided being shut down by the mint, and subject to charges is beyond me.  Even though the seller discloses, what happens when they are sold again and the person doesn't disclose?  I could see myself getting duped by some of these "coins".  

I wonder if it is not counterfeit if the type of coin is out of circulation? Then again, morgan dollars are still legal tender?

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

:facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

At first I thought, "oh just a reproduced cover," but no, from my understanding there isn't a single original wrap in it. 

What even is it?

But heck if a photocopy can sell for at least $76, I gotta get my printer running.

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

:facepalm:

At least they put some effort into this - a replica book in a replica holder with a replica label.

These scammers should be publicly drawn & quartered.

4 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

At least they have a sense of humour - 'NCGC' presumably standing for 'Not CGC' :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, the blob said:
16 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

He's not being dishonest. The seller is to be commended for disclosing that it's not a Hulk 181, he's an honest trader. Sadly, there's a chance that his buyer won't share his sense of responsibility. $100 gets you $10,000+ ? What is that? A half a year's pay for someone earning minimum wage working 40 hour weeks. Going to be tempting to some, I'm afraid.

Selling that is against the law. Potentially criminal. Yes, he is honest about his criminality. And the implication is that maybe you can con someone re-selling it.

Yeah, he's honest about his criminality lol 

13 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Damn... now that took a lot of effort... I mean for all we know, he may even just reproduced the cover.. since he's making a mockery out of everything including the ones who buy it from him

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't understand grading something that isn't legitimate in any fashion.

I understand NG for a single page or missing cover.

Why NG something that isn't authentic at all..?

I think it's a Freudian slip situation, because the case is described as being in "lose" condition...  lol 

53 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

How is the bid at $102. I'm not nearly as surprised with those making these replicas, as I am with those buying them.

Like I said earlier, I need to start printing some of these bad boys for that kind of $$$.

Edited by HuddyBee

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I wonder if it is not counterfeit if the type of coin is out of circulation? Then again, morgan dollars are still legal tender?

Many seasoned coinees feel it's making counterfeit coins.  On the other hand, a lot of coin collectors like them.  I think he will have to explain his actions for making them one day.  

4 hours ago, the blob said:

Selling that is against the law. Potentially criminal. Yes, he is honest about his criminality. And the implication is that maybe you can con someone re-selling it.

It's definitely illegal to copy something trademarked; create or obtain a knock-off and vend it as he did anywhere, whether at a flea market or on the net. My language of his "being honest" referred only to his full disclosure of what it is, in no uncertain terms. He accurately, thus honestly represented what he was offering, albeit it is a knockoff and had no business being listed on ebay.

That said, I wonder how long the listing would have lasted if he hadn't been honest in the description and instead had listed it, @@@ Hulk 181 First Wolverine Appearance Near Mint Condition @@@. and priced it $5000?

It would have had wings. The image alone and that text in the listing, at that price would have sold this to the unwary in two shakes. This is not easy to tell from the original unless you had one imaged right alongside it, and even then, for most, that would be a difficult tell.