• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

well how about that....
1 1

45 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It's definitely illegal to copy something trademarked; create or obtain a knock-off and vend it as he did anywhere, whether at a flea market or on the net. My language of his "being honest" referred only to his full disclosure of what it is, in no uncertain terms. He accurately, thus honestly represented what he was offering, albeit it is a knockoff and had no business being listed on ebay.

That said, I wonder how long the listing would have lasted if he hadn't been honest in the description and instead had listed it, @@@ Hulk 181 First Wolverine Appearance Near Mint Condition @@@. and priced it $5000?

It would have had wings. The image alone and that text in the listing, at that price would have sold this to the unwary in two shakes. This is not easy to tell from the original unless you had one imaged right alongside it, and even then, for most, that would be a difficult tell.

If you bring this into a shop or a dealer at a show with a stack of real BA books, maybe you give it a crease or two to make it look less perfect, I wonder if the dealer notices the difference?

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

If you bring this into a shop or a dealer at a show with a stack of real BA books, maybe you give it a crease or two to make it look less perfect, I wonder if the dealer notices the difference?

Sandwiched between 2 other BA books, say in a run, Hulk 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184...… or group of keys, I'd bet there's still enough of a difference in texture/color/hue/paper, etc. to readily tell for a seasoned hobbyist, but somebody not looking closely? Maybe someone brings a small box of junk books into a store with a 181 replica mixed in, and asks $3000 for the whole lot, a vendor's greed in not wanting to alert the person of the value of Hulk 181 and keep it on the down low may do him in! Like, "quick, give me $1000 for these books; I need $1000 for them".

I was at a show a LONG time ago and a dealer go fooled with a GA repro. He thought he had gotten over on a guy, bought a stack of books, did not even look at them outside the bags!... when he opens up the best looking one he realizes it is a repro (I think it was the same on the outside, but said it was a repro on the inside)

I used to collect Misfits 45s in the early 80's and this is what happened to them. Knock off after bootleg after fake over and over again. Even the guys at the original pressing plants doing it after hours. 

I can see this happening for the modern variants. Still got the print file for ASM 667 Del Otto? Boss is gone... run some off. 

12 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

How is the bid at $102. I'm not nearly as surprised with those making these replicas, as I am with those buying them.

Like I said earlier, I need to start printing some of these bad boys for that kind of $$$.

Yeah, at ten bucks I’d be interested in some cool replicas, some keys, some GA oddities. But at $100 and up I’d much rather have a HC book or a low grade real copy